FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   AMEX SPG Personal & Biz 35k 2017 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1822615-amex-spg-personal-biz-35k-2017-a.html)

Explorer789 Mar 14, 2017 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Explorer789 (Post 28024174)
Thanks. Hopefully will get approved on Monday or Tuesday then.

Just a followup, was approved yesterday. So 5 business days is accurate.

charlesonmission Mar 15, 2017 6:17 pm

My wife has this card and I'm an AU. Wondering if it makes sense for her to refer me to get the 5K and then get the 35K. I'm way over 5/24 - so no Chase cards. If the thought that this product is definitely going away considering the merger (or could Amex rename the product and this it would officially be the same credit card) - not sure what the downside would be. Interesting the Amex is really pushing hard to get new clients and keep the current ones - my wife got 10K retention to keep the card.

mia Mar 15, 2017 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by charlesonmission (Post 28042650)
... thought that this product is definitely going away considering the merger....

Unknown. Marriott could decide to contract with both American Express and Chase (see Hilton and American Airlines). Marriott could contract with only one issuer, and require them to buy accounts from the other issuer (see Costco). Marriott could contract with only one issuer and the other issuer would cancel its card or convert to another product (most likely Everyday Preferred or Blue Cash Preferred.)

sdsearch Mar 16, 2017 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 28042820)
Unknown. Marriott could decide to contract with both American Express and Chase (see Hilton and American Airlines). Marriott could contract with only one issuer, and require them to buy accounts from the other issuer (see Costco). Marriott could contract with only one issuer and the other issuer would cancel its card or convert to another product (most likely Everyday Preferred or Blue Cash Preferred.)

Or, since Amex is not wedded to having only one points program (besides MR, they also have Plenti), then could go the US Bank route (when Northwest Perks went poof) and create a Bluewood points program and convert all Starwood cards to Bluewood cards. :D :eek:

Bluewood points would be much like Membership Rewads points from a transfer perspective, but they'd add one more partner: United at such a horrible transfer rate that no one would bother transferring there. :p

Kadence Mar 30, 2017 7:03 pm

If I apply for this card now, can I use it before I actually get the card in the mail? I need to make a $3500 purchase tomorrow? If not what other cards can I do that with?

Found this to answer my own question http://www.doctorofcredit.com/list-o...t-card-number/

Kadence Mar 30, 2017 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by charlesonmission (Post 28042650)
Wondering if it makes sense for her to refer me to get the 5K and then get the 35K.

Just sent a referral link to my husband, but noticed this offer "Each friend can earn:25,000 Starpoints after they use their new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months." I'm assuming this means the person who applies with a referral link will only get the 25k point offer.

tmiw Mar 30, 2017 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kadence (Post 28108950)
If I apply for this card now, can I use it before I actually get the card in the mail? I need to make a $3500 purchase tomorrow? If not what other cards can I do that with?

Found this to answer my own question http://www.doctorofcredit.com/list-o...t-card-number/

FWIW, I signed up for the SPG personal card a few days ago and wasn't offered the card number after approval. I'm not sure what triggers it on their end.

charlesonmission Mar 31, 2017 5:03 am

Sounds like in your situation, only 25K for the "friend". My wife referred me and it had the 25K + 10K language. So, it does vary it seems.

Originally Posted by Kadence (Post 28108969)
Just sent a referral link to my husband, but noticed this offer "Each friend can earn:25,000 Starpoints after they use their new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months." I'm assuming this means the person who applies with a referral link will only get the 25k point offer.

pallhedge Mar 31, 2017 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Kadence (Post 28108969)

Try sending the referral from your spg.com account, not your amex account. That should generate a 35k referral.

Kadence Apr 3, 2017 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge (Post 28110680)
Try sending the referral from your spg.com account, not your amex account. That should generate a 35k referral.

That did it!! THANK YOU :D

ahcjar103 Apr 5, 2017 4:13 pm

just applied for the business card and was instantly approved. whoop!

already have the personal.

moretimeoffguy Apr 17, 2017 9:54 am

So, the 35K offer for the SPG biz card is dead? Should I pull the trigger on the 25K offer for the biz card? Still better than the typical 10K offer. And if the card disappears... well, it's great to get a card / sign-up bonus before a card product becomes unavailable. Like the Chase Fairmont card--my wife and I got one each before the Fairmont card app disappeared, and have booked 4 nights at the Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui using the 2 free night certs each we received.

mhdena Apr 17, 2017 10:38 am

25K Starpoints is the standard offer.

moretimeoffguy Apr 17, 2017 11:13 am

Originally Posted by mhdena (Post 28190960)
25K Starpoints is the standard offer.

Ok, thanks. Is a 35K offer still available via referral or other links? And would anyone pull the trigger on the 25K SPG biz card offer now? Thinking it may be wise to do so in case the SPG-branded card product disappears.

moretimeoffguy Apr 18, 2017 4:29 am

Anyone?

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy (Post 28191156)
Ok, thanks. Is a 35K offer still available via referral or other links? And would anyone pull the trigger on the 25K SPG biz card offer now? Thinking it may be wise to do so in case the SPG-branded card product disappears.