Booking AA via AMEX for less than aa.com?

Old Feb 20, 2017, 8:56 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by erisaguy
i've spent a fair amount of time on this and many call:
1. most agents have no idea what I'm talking about
2. One did and said only my travel agent (and not Amex travel!) could get the insider fare-this seems absurd.
3. I got one fare through Amex travel that was changeable (athough I was told at booking it was fully refundable)
4. the $39 booking fee is waived if you are a centurion member, but then the ticket must be charged to centurion and not to business platinum
5. If only Amex travel and vaguely competent agents.
I don't think you have to mention anything about it being a special fare.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Calling right now on a TATL J itin, will report back...

UPDATE:

Fare was ~$2,560 on AA.com, they said I can get it for ~$2,100, not bad but not AMAZING.

Last edited by GetSetJetSet; Feb 23, 2017 at 1:54 pm
Old Feb 23, 2017, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Is there a way to price these online or do you need to call in every time?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 2:27 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Is there a way to price these online or do you need to call in every time?

Originally Posted by SignatureCaptainLNK
You have to call in to get the quote from one of the platinum agents.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:00 pm
Suspended

the domestic itin I priced was $100+ more than the aa.com price, weird.
Old May 23, 2017, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Had a great customer service experience with this. Recently called in asking about the best direct or indirect routing price for AA flights PAR-NYC-PAR, as I had recently gotten JFK-FCO-JFK AA J tickets for several hundred below the published rate. Agent told me I could fly AA CDG-JFK-BOS-CDG for something like $1,800 in J. I was shocked by the price and told the agent of course proceed with the booking.

We got to seat selection and the call of course dropped. I called AMEX back, got a new agent who told me the price for the same flights (with flight #'s of course) on the same dates would be ~$2,600. I explained that I had JUST, not 2 minutes earlier been quoted a much lower price for those same flights.

The agent escalated to a supervisor who pulled the tape of my earlier convo, confirmed that I had been quoted the lower price and had instructed the agent to execute the buy. As a result, AMEX decided that they would charge me the ~$2,600 for the flight, then issue me a statement credit for the difference between that price and the one I was initially quoted. As a kicker, since the price difference was negligible, they put me on direct flights both ways, to avoid the connection in Boston. I was VERY impressed, as this was far above and beyond what I expected. Well done AMEX ^
Old May 24, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SignatureCaptainLNK
I guess hang up and try again...it definitely exists, as I just did it, and will be doing it again tonight.

I also failed to mention the other amazing parts of these tickets:
1) they are 100% refundable up to 1 hour prior to departure
2) there are no change fees, only difference in fares if applicable

Very awesome if you ask me, it made me switch my preferred airline from United to American, and looks like I will be moving most of my flying this year to American for these reasons.
Are you sure about the refundability? AA does not participate in the Amex IAP, so everything I've been quoted by them on AA is non-refundable. BA, LH, AF, on the other hand, often have nicely priced refundable fares. And I can echo what others are reporting here - I've been quoted significant discounts on J by calling Amex Platinum Travel. Recently was quoted a refundable itinerary for $1900 per person on Air France that was on Google Flights for $4,200. Same inquiry had a quote of $2100 per person (non-refundable) on AA when Google Flights price was $2800.
Old May 30, 2017, 10:06 am

What is the number to call for this deal? Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Be aware that these fares will be coded as "Special Fares" and EQDs will post distance-based, not fare-based, with only a small percentage of miles posting as EQDs (max being 30% for full F fares). I recently got burned on this detail.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Be aware that these fares will be coded as "Special Fares" and EQDs will post distance-based, not fare-based, with only a small percentage of miles posting as EQDs (max being 30% for full F fares). I recently got burned on this detail.
I called AA to ask about this and they said that the changeable business tickets I booked would count as normal tickets for EQD purposes.

Also, the Special Fares rules are really weird. For example, in full First, you get 30 cents per mile, which can come out to MORE than you would get by the normal rules, depending on how much you pay. For discount business it is 15 or 20 cents per mile (IIRC), which can also be more than you actually pay in dollars.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Has anyone had any experience on US domestic fares with this? Paying cash, rather than with MR.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Bought two F/J tickets to HI (domestic, right?), one with MR points, one with cash. Both priced out about $200 less than on-line, even with annoying $37 (?) booking fee. Also, there is no change fee if I have to cancel and/or move them (except more annoying booking fees!)
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Bought two F/J tickets to HI (domestic, right?), one with MR points, one with cash. Both priced out about $200 less than on-line, even with annoying $37 (?) booking fee. Also, there is no change fee if I have to cancel and/or move them (except more annoying booking fees!)
Thanks

Did you just call the plat travel number?

Any idea how this compares to the "insiderfares" price if you look at the MR site? I hate calling in for travel since I often adjust my travel to good F/J fares rather that focusing on a particular destination or time frame. Just trying to figure out if I can come up with a guestimate of options, and then call in to purchase.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Yeah, I called the Platinum travel number ...

Now that you mention it, my savings comparison was with the fares shown on the MR site. What I can't remember is whether they were the same or lower than what was on the aa.com site. Truth be told, I think my path was Google Flights, where I saw flights that I was not seeing on aa.com (at least not easily), that somehow I did find them on the MR site, and then -- having read a blog about this late last year -- called in and found the additional savings.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 3:55 pm

As a reference, I just purchased an international ticket in business (I) through Amex on AA. The AA.com price was $3900 round trip and the Amex price was $3200. Basically, it was the same price as available through AAvacations. The flight booked in J domestically, and I internationally.

The painful part was dealing with the agent. Nice but lots of questions ... It took 25 minutes to price a specific itinerary that I had in front of me. This was my first experience buying a ticket through the Amex Plat line and I was also surprised at the verifications that I needed to give. Calling the AA EXP plat line would have accomplished the same thing (well ... except for the $700 in savings) in 5 minutes.

In any event, the savings were significant. In hindsight ... I wish I had asked for comparison pricing on other OneWorld carriers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.