Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amex Platinum/Gold (USA) 5X/3X on OTA's, foreign carriers, fees, award taxes, etc?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Platinum/Gold (USA) 5X/3X on OTA's, foreign carriers, fees, award taxes, etc?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 6:38 am
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
I can't speak to UA but upgrade and baggage fees on WS posted as 5x for me. It makes sense that it would since it's a charge directly with an airline.
Old May 24, 2017, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Zorland
Do the upgrade fees qualify under the 5x for airfare? I assume the answer is "no", but this will affect which card gets charged so I'm hoping to confirm.

Specifically (in case it matters), this would be the co-pay in the miles+copay upgrade for UA.
Yes, I've upgraded on UA miles+copay ($550) and received 5x. Detailed transaction appears as "Document Type: UPGRADE CHARGE" along with flight info.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:49 am

Question Does Platinum get 5x pts on foreign airlines as well?

I'm wondering does the 5x pts per dollar thing work when booking directly with a foreign airline or just the US based airlines? The 'fine prints' didn't mention yes or no but AMEX was known to distinguish things like 'US supermarket' or the like before so wondering who would air ticket work in this case.

Thanks!

(Tried to search but to no avail, would appreciate pointers to relevant discussion/DPs if I missed any. )
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:59 am

Programs: DL PM
i've been getting 5x points for tickets purchased through KLM/VS/AF etc using my US issued plat with no problems so far...
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:12 am
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
I've been successful with taxes and fees billed by Westjet (Canada) and tickets on TAP (Portugal) but the TAP tickets were booked through AMEX travel.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:24 pm

Confirmed 5X on NH.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:18 am

Premier Rewards Gold: 3x MR on airline purchases

Hi there,
read through many posts but couldn't find the answer to my specific question:
on the Premier Rewards Gold card, it says 3x MR points on tickets purchased directly from the airline. Does this apply also to taxes and fuel surcharges on award tickets? Or do they distinguish between base airfare and the rest of the components of a ticket?

I have the choice of getting 3x between this card and the Chase Sapphire Reserve, so wanted to make sure it's really 3x points even for taxes and fuel surcharges on award tickets...

many thanks!!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
In my experiences it covers the fare, taxes, baggage and food on board.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:17 am

OK, thanks for the reply!
from what i understand it used to be only US carriers at the beginning, but by now purchases on foreign carriers count right? Like BA, AF/KL, LH, LX etc...?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
...used to be only US carriers at the beginning, ......?
The $100 airline fee reimbursement benefit requires choosing a USA-based carrier, but the 3X points applies to any transaction where the merchant classification is an airline. It typically won't apply to (example) in-flight duty free purchases because that's a separate merchant account, and some airlines have outsourced sales of giftcards or miles.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:28 pm

Interesting relevant nugget on Amex's rewards info FAQ:

Are there times when I will earn an additional reward if I book through a third party, like an online travel agent?

Some purchases for scheduled flights made with third parties such as Expedia, Travelocity and Orbitz may be eligible for additional rewards depending on how the third party operates. For example, with some third parties airfare is charged directly to your Card account by the airline.
It appears from this wording that the behavior we're seeing is intentional: even if the booking is done through an OTA, we'll see the bonus MR as long as the charge itself is processed by the airline.

Given that not all OTAs behave this way I can see why Amex wouldn't really want to advertise this. They probably don't want customers getting accustomed to this method since the OTAs can change their payment processing technique at any time, which would lead to confusion and aggravation among customers.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by weaseltown
Interesting relevant nugget on Amex's rewards info FAQ:

It appears from this wording that the behavior we're seeing is intentional: even if the booking is done through an OTA, we'll see the bonus MR as long as the charge itself is processed by the airline.

Given that not all OTAs behave this way I can see why Amex wouldn't really want to advertise this. They probably don't want customers getting accustomed to this method since the OTAs can change their payment processing technique at any time, which would lead to confusion and aggravation among customers.
This is what happened to me recently when I booked an international flight on Priceline. I used CSR instead of the AMEX Platinum thinking it may be billed as a Priceline transaction, but the charge ended up coming from the airline instead. Oh well, instead of getting 5X from AMEX, I will get 3X from CSR plus trip delay/cancellation coverage.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by steve4
This is what happened to me recently when I booked an international flight on Priceline. I used CSR instead of the AMEX Platinum thinking it may be billed as a Priceline transaction, but the charge ended up coming from the airline instead. Oh well, instead of getting 5X from AMEX, I will get 3X from CSR plus trip delay/cancellation coverage.
I'd trade 5x for 3x, to gain trip insurance, especially if they were J tickets!
I wish Amex would do that.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
On a different note will Amex give 5x for buying a seat upgrade like economy plus on united?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by slickvik
On a different note will Amex give 5x for buying a seat upgrade like economy plus on united?
Yep, have recently bought C+ upgrades on Delta and E+ on United recently and received 5x.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.