Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

New to Amex (South Africa) - Complimentary membership expiry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Hi guys, new to the whole Amex experience. I have a ZA plat card and from what I have understood from reading the forums, as long as you hold the plat card then the priority pass is a perpetual membership which auto-renews when its expires. Does the same apply to other complimentary membership programs like Hilton Honors, Hertz Gold, Golden Circle Jade, etc, or are you expected achieve the requirements set out in those programs, such as 20 stays per calendar year for Hilton Honors in order to retain the membership level?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:59 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Unless otherwise mentioned in the benefit terms, status benefits arranged by American Express do not have any renewal requirements aside from continuing to hold the American Express card. Example: in some markets Hilton HHonors Gold status is only valid for the first year, and this is clearly disclosed. Also, American Express' contracts to provide these benefits are periodically renegotiated, and some benefits will end, a few will change, and others will be added.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Unless otherwise mentioned in the benefit terms, status benefits arranged by American Express do not have any renewal requirements aside from continuing to hold the American Express card. Example: in some markets Hilton HHonors Gold status is only valid for the first year, and this is clearly disclosed. Also, American Express' contracts to provide these benefits are periodically renegotiated, and some benefits will end, a few will change, and others will be added.
Thanks for the quick reply. So the assumption should be that membership is perpetual unless otherwise stated? I see that for example, Australia T&C clearly specifies the scope of the benefits. Unfortunately the South Africa T&C seems to be lacking in detail. I had already E-mailed my local Amex team, but have so far not received any response, so the service expectation from that department of Amex seems to be not so great.

Another question, am I obligated to only use my host country concierge or am I allowed to contact a visiting country's concierge whe in the visiting country? Posts on this forum seem to give mixed results.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I think of benefits that do not have a specified termination date as ongoing rather than perpetual. Benefits do change, usually with some notice.

It appears that American Express does not issue cards directly in South Africa: American Express Cards is operated under licence in South Africa by Nedbank Limited. I would not expect much in the way of reciprocal benefits in other markets. Concierge services tend to be outsourced. The company hired by, say, American Express (USA) probably would not be able to authenticate your account, and might not be paid for working with you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.