Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: MR points transfer blocked, account being reviewed [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA: MR points transfer blocked, account being reviewed [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:48 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
25,000 point referral bonus posted to my MR account on 1.19.2017. Made successful test transfer to BA just now, and I can see the points in my BAEC account.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by kaisersrsic
I found out only when a points transfer to delta failed, and I got the "account is currently being reviewed to make sure all eligible purchases meet qualifying criteria" message.

The message does not seem to fit any reality with the account. One representative indicated that the hold began several weeks ago, the day on which Amex gave me a 15,000 point bonus to sign up for the extended pay option. There were no purchases tied to that bonus.

That same day, I started a dispute over a couple months of gym membership charges because my gym closed four months earlier, but kept up the monthly billing. The disputed amount is no more than a couple hundred dollars. They have not suggested that was the trigger.
Having this exact issue right now. They are telling me 6 to 8 weeks which is beyond insane, considering they triggered it by linking and unlinking my wife's account when trying to help me transfer points to my airline account. I am beyond furious.

Filed a CFPB complaint immediately and amazingly the next day my account appears unlocked again and I appear to be able to transfer.

Last edited by antonius66; Mar 23, 2018 at 4:59 pm
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:02 am

MR points frozen for seemingly no reason?

Hi,

I wanted to see if anyone else had experience with points being frozen for no reason I can think of. I have 3 Amex cards, all opened in the past 3 year with one opened per year. Most recently I opened the Gold Rewards card in Feb and met the minimum spend within 4 weeks. My girlfriend is also an authorized user on my plat card and has been for almost a year. I recently successfully transferred about 45k points to ANA. I then wanted to transfer more for another flight and got an error message saying I was under review. No idea why. I don't do anything weird with my accounts. I still use all the cards and I've paid the bill off on time except once (I didn't realize I had a $10 balance because I paid before something cleared). They said the review will take 6-8 weeks and sounds like there is no way around that. Pretty mad as I needed to transfer this points ASAP to book these flights. Any idea what might have triggered the review?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:11 am
mia

Originally Posted by krogers34
....Any idea what might have triggered the review?
Yes, it is almost certainly this:

I opened the Gold Rewards card in Feb and met the minimum spend within 4 weeks.
...they are checking to see if all of the spending qualified to meet the requirement, and to see if there were any returns.

Extensive discussion here:

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)
Kacee likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I opened the Gold Rewards card in Feb and met the minimum spend within 4 weeks.
What kind of spend?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:19 am

$2k in the first 3 months. I spent about $6k. It wasn't even close.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:03 pm

Don't mean to threadjack, but I just had an odd situation with Amex. Got the Gold Rewards last month, 50k for 2k spend. I haven't hit my min spend yet, but Amex just posted the 50k bonus into my MR account couple days ago. My first statement hasn't closed yet. Is this normal? Should I be worried about my MR account being frozen if I try to use it?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:24 pm
mia

Originally Posted by cwh82
....I haven't hit my min spend yet....
Maybe you did. Did you use any Amex Offers, or the $100 Airline Fee Reimbursement benefit? The refunds from those do not reduce your qualifying spend.

Last edited by mia; Jul 30, 2018 at 12:34 pm
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:38 pm

$2k in the first 3 months. I spent about $6k. It wasn't even close.
But, judging by your name....was any of that $6k (especially the first however much you needed to hit for the bonus) Kroger MR spend? If so, that could be the cause of the investigation.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by knopfler
But, judging by your name....was any of that $6k (especially the first however much you needed to hit for the bonus) Kroger MR spend? If so, that could be the cause of the investigation.
That is actually just me name, ha. I've never done any of the churning stuff. All normal charges. Can't say for certain if there were any returns on the card, but if there were they all would have been small and would not have impacted the $2k requirement.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:50 pm
mia

....returns on the card, but if there were they all would have been small and would not have impacted the $2k requirement.
American Express' system tags the individual transaction that crosses the $2,000 spending threshold. If there happens to be a return or credit related to that specific transaction it will trigger an investigation. This is just an artifact of the system, but it appears they review everything, and that takes time.

In any event, the people you can contact directly are not the people who do the review, and (in my experience) they don't really know what the company is looking for, even if they offer a guess.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Maybe you did. Did you use any Amex Offers, or the $100 Airline Fee Reimbursement benefit? The refunds from those do not reduce your qualifying spend.
You're right. I didn't count the airline credit. Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:55 am

Yes, any time you get a bonus of any kind (promotional on new card, on adding an auth user, bonus points for completing an amex offer, bonus points like 5x bonus on travel) - any of those bonus offers can trigger/flag your account for review. But while the account is flagged, the actual review timeline (of 8-12 weeks) only starts officially from the date you see the message when you try and transfer.

Sorry, but that's the new stupid amex rules.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Yes, any time you get a bonus of any kind (promotional on new card, on adding an auth user, bonus points for completing an amex offer, bonus points like 5x bonus on travel) - any of those bonus offers can trigger/flag your account for review. But while the account is flagged, the actual review timeline (of 8-12 weeks) only starts officially from the date you see the message when you try and transfer.

Sorry, but that's the new stupid amex rules.
Ah, this was probably it then. I did buy $3k in travel that qualifies for the 5x bonus the same day I noticed the freeze. Nothing weird about it though. 2 normal flights and a hotel through Amex Travel. I had transferred points like 2 weeks ago successfully, so I know it wasn't on there for that long.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by antonius66
Having this exact issue right now. They are telling me 6 to 8 weeks which is beyond insane, considering they triggered it by linking and unlinking my wife's account when trying to help me transfer points to my airline account. I am beyond furious.

Filed a CFPB complaint immediately and amazingly the next day my account appears unlocked again and I appear to be able to transfer.
I filed a CFPB complaint one week ago...my membership reward account is still locked...have to continue to wait

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.