FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Centurion Lounge HKG (Opened 2 October 2017, Reopened 30 November 2022) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1818828-centurion-lounge-hkg-opened-2-october-2017-reopened-30-november-2022-a.html)

Duke787 Jan 30, 2017 10:05 pm

Centurion Lounge HKG (Opened 2 October 2017, Reopened 30 November 2022)

The Points Guy is reporting that AMEX will be opening a Centurion lounge at HKG sometime this year:

American Express has now confirmed that it’ll begin launching Centurion Lounges at airports around the world, starting with a Hong Kong location that’s expected to open by the end of this year. We know exclusively that the new lounge will be located in Terminal 1, which is where nearly all long-haul flights depart from, including those to the US and Europe. The HKG location will be more than 8,000 square feet, which is on par with the largest US locations, and since it’s modeled after the company’s fantastic US lounges, you expect a full premium bar (including speciality regional cocktails), a variety of hot and cold buffet items, several different seating areas, free Wi-Fi and more.
Based on their article, I presume this to be true. A nice add to the Centurion Lounge network though I'd still like to see them plug a couple holes domestically (ORD and LAX specifically).

Link: https://thepointsguy.com/2017/01/ame...turion-lounge/

MSPeconomist Jan 30, 2017 10:11 pm

Begin launching? There are already some overseas Centurion lounges, for example the one in EZE that was moved and improved fairly recently.

Duke787 Jan 30, 2017 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 27842591)
Begin launching? There are already some overseas Centurion lounges, for example the one in EZE that was moved and improved fairly recently.

Just the messenger on this (didn't write the article and in no way associated with TPG) - was quoting directly from the article.

That being said, I believe AMEX differentiates the "Centurion Lounge Network" (which is US lounges and now HKG) and the "International AMEX Lounge Network" (which are the existing overseas ones, some of which are called Centurion Lounges / Centurion Clubs, others which are just called American Express Lounges).

Basing this on the AMEX website which makes that minor distinction: https://www298.americanexpress.com/b...#/loungefinder

Regardless, HKG AMEX Centurion Lounge is coming which is great news.

Bonaventure Jan 31, 2017 1:33 am

While it's an obvious market it's not exactly like HKG is underserved by good lounges. It'll be hard to really stand out here.

stimpy Jan 31, 2017 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Bonaventure (Post 27843004)
While it's an obvious market it's not exactly like HKG is underserved by good lounges. It'll be hard to really stand out here.

I agree. Especially as I generally use the CX First Class lounge which is one of the best elite-accessible lounges in the world. I'd guess this new Centurion lounge would be on par with the current TG lounge at HKG, judging by the US Centurion clubs.

But pretty please do like the Centurion Club in MEX and have an inner lounge for Centurion members!!! I think there are a good number of Centurion members in Hong Kong so maybe this is doable.

Lonsinla Jan 31, 2017 8:44 am

I hope they open in other cities in Asia like in Singapore and Bangkok too. I wonder how expensive it is for them to maintain such lounges as compared to other card companies that do not provide such a differentiating service.

I think The fees for a Platinum card in Asia is alot more than the US ones and you do not get the same benefits as with the US version...so about time they open more lounges in Asia

stimpy Jan 31, 2017 9:04 am

Originally Posted by kylie79 (Post 27844278)
I think The fees for a Platinum card in Asia is alot more than the US ones and you do not get the same benefits as with the US version...so about time they open more lounges in Asia

The fees are huge for a Centurion card in Hong Kong so that alone should help pay for a lounge.

Lonsinla Jan 31, 2017 9:36 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 27844374)
The fees are huge for a Centurion card in Hong Kong so that alone should help pay for a lounge.

even in Singapore, I think its 1,700 SGD now or 1,200 USD :(

Travelchurner Jan 31, 2017 9:49 am

Are there any additional benefits for the huge AF?

MSPeconomist Jan 31, 2017 10:05 am

I would think first priority should be to establish lounges in airports that don't currently offer PP lounges, or where they're located in a way that they cannot be accessed by all passengers.

Lonsinla Jan 31, 2017 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by crazytravelguy (Post 27844617)
Are there any additional benefits for the huge AF?

different countries offer different benefits, I think Singapore offers some air miles and also a dining card for discount at many restaurants but thats about it. Also offers access to some members club etc.

Lonsinla Jan 31, 2017 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 27844720)
I would think first priority should be to establish lounges in airports that don't currently offer PP lounges, or where they're located in a way that they cannot be accessed by all passengers.

I think it may be more of a priority for them to establish Centurion Lounges in countries where there is a large no of platinum and centurion card members or has the potential for more members. I would think Hong Kong and Singapore would qualify for this outside of the USA.

scubadu Jan 31, 2017 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 27844720)

Completely agree with this and it was my immediate response as well. HKG is anything but under served w/lounges. In fact, last time I was there I made the observation to my wife that surely CX will, at some point, likely decide to close some of the myriad of lounges they have in that airport.

Regards

forumpersona999 Jan 31, 2017 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by kylie79 (Post 27844548)
even in Singapore, I think its 1,700 SGD now or 1,200 USD :(

HK Cent Annual Fee is around 5k USD. :eek:

cova Feb 5, 2017 9:18 am

Any word on the location? Agents in DFW are mentioning the new HKG and PHL lounges and expansion of SEA when you check in.