Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge HKG (Opened 2 October 2017, Reopened 30 November 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
The new AMEX Centurion Lounge @ HKG is located at the previous VS lounge, adjacent to United Club. The Centurion Lounge HKG is designed by Legend Interiors, who is also responsible for QA lounges and the recent CX lounges renovation at HKG. The lounge is operated by Plaza Premium Lounge.

Lounge Review:

Apple Daily (With Video) - Chinese

Australian Business Traveller - English

U Weekly by HKET - Credit to leokungkin - Chinese
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge HKG (Opened 2 October 2017, Reopened 30 November 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
While I think we all agree that more lounges is better than fewer lounges, it makes me happy that American Express is doing the right thing by allowing their employees to stay at home until this crisis subsides.
Most people working in the Centurion Lounge are not AMEX employee, but PPL.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 5:43 am

Programs: MPC, HH & others
Originally Posted by percysmith
They may be on no pay leave however
Six weeks no pay leave and several other benefits have been cut.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by garykung
Most people working in the Centurion Lounge are not AMEX employee, but PPL.
If American Express requests them to show up at work, ethically they should be responsible for the well-being of the team...regardless of what it says on the top of the pay stub. I hope that there is compensation for people unable to work during this crisis from Amex, if not from PPL or the HK government.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
If American Express requests them to show up at work, ethically they should be responsible for the well-being of the team...regardless of what it says on the top of the pay stub.
Not true. AMEX is not operating the lounge. So ethically speaking, AMEX's obligation is to fulfill its contract with PPL and being considerate (as well as the AMEX employees controlling admission). Responsibility of the non-AMEX lounge employees are still within the purview of PPL.

I hope that there is compensation for people unable to work during this crisis from Amex, if not from PPL or the HK government.
You wish. This never happens.
Clipper801 likes this.

Last edited by garykung; Mar 6, 2020 at 11:49 am
Old Mar 6, 2020, 1:09 am

Programs: CX MPC
Not true. AMEX is not operating the lounge. So ethnically speaking, AMEX's obligation is to fulfill its contract with PPL and being considerate (as well as the AMEX employees controlling admission). Responsibility of the non-AMEX lounge employees are still within the purview of PPL.

You wish. This never happens.

Are any of the employees actually Amex staff?

I wouldn't be surprised if the entire lounge operation and management was contracted out to Plaza Premium Lounge.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chris Blunt
Are any of the employees actually Amex staff?
The 2 controlling the admission are AMEX staffs.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Grrr just did the trek up here for a shower. Should’ve read FT first.

Old Oct 10, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Any rumours to when HKG will reopen?
Old Oct 10, 2020, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
Any rumours to when HKG will reopen?
When HKG starts accepting travelers...
Old Oct 11, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
When HKG starts accepting travelers...
they always had

At least they reopened the new Plaza Premium by Gate 35 I haven't been to yet.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JordanWalker
they always had
Not true. HKSAR Government has made this very clear:
  • With effect from 0.00am on March 25, 2020 until further notice:
    • All non-Hong Kong residents coming from overseas countries and regions by plane will be denied entry to Hong Kong; and
    • Non-Hong Kong residents coming from the Mainland, Macao and Taiwan will be denied entry to Hong Kong if they have been to any overseas countries and regions in the past 14 days.
In short - unless you can produce a HKID, a Hong Kong visa that qualify you as a resident (like student, work, etc.), or any document you can link to a Hong Kong resident, no one can get in.

Practically, HKG is closed its borders from all people except Hong Kong residents and related persons, which would not consider this as accepting travelers.
imnotalawyer likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Some information elsewhere suggested that this lounge will open later this month. Has anybody heard anything? Chase recently opened a lounge here and PPL is open. I'll be going through here in the first week of December so we'll see.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 3:30 am

Programs: CX MPC
Originally Posted by arabiamark
Some information elsewhere suggested that this lounge will open later this month. Has anybody heard anything? Chase recently opened a lounge here and PPL is open. I'll be going through here in the first week of December so we'll see.
I transited through HKG a couple of weeks ago and I was surprised at how quiet the airport still is. Very few shops or restaurants were open except the duty free shops. I used Cathay Pacific's "The Wing" lounge and there were only a few people in there. I can understand why some lounge operators would be reluctant to reopen just yet.

By the way, is the new Chase Sapphire lounge at the same location as was previously occupied by the old Plaza Premium lounge that used to be near gate 40?
Old Nov 18, 2022, 5:08 am

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Originally Posted by Chris Blunt
I transited through HKG a couple of weeks ago and I was surprised at how quiet the airport still is. Very few shops or restaurants were open except the duty free shops. I used Cathay Pacific's "The Wing" lounge and there were only a few people in there. I can understand why some lounge operators would be reluctant to reopen just yet.

By the way, is the new Chase Sapphire lounge at the same location as was previously occupied by the old Plaza Premium lounge that used to be near gate 40?
Yes it's in the general area of Gate 40, upstairs from most of the shops and gates. In other words where the two parts of the pier area and the connector walk from the wing all come together.

If you were in the 'Wing' lounge then you were in the China flights only part of the terminal. Not sure if that's more or less busy than the 'dirty rest of the world' area of the piers and the part of the central connector leading to it. Word has it that transit security getting to the pier area can be pretty jammed already, taking half an hour or more. So it seems to be getting busy with flights gradually increasing. If they opened the Centurion Lounge now it may not be full at first. But in these less busy times it would give the lounge and the staff to work out logistics and service issues after a long layoff before things are going full tilt again.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 4:20 pm

Programs: hahaha

Saw this on FB, you could probably verify by also messaging AMEX HK via whatsapp

Guess we'll find out in a day!
mia, percysmith and oopl like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.