Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge HKG (Opened 2 October 2017, Reopened 30 November 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
The new AMEX Centurion Lounge @ HKG is located at the previous VS lounge, adjacent to United Club. The Centurion Lounge HKG is designed by Legend Interiors, who is also responsible for QA lounges and the recent CX lounges renovation at HKG. The lounge is operated by Plaza Premium Lounge.

Lounge Review:

Apple Daily (With Video) - Chinese

Australian Business Traveller - English

U Weekly by HKET - Credit to leokungkin - Chinese
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge HKG (Opened 2 October 2017, Reopened 30 November 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Have to get around the bunch of Amex Plat Cred/DBS Black AE wannabes first

After being into SYD's, I'm not getting my hopes up high https://loungereview.com/the-centuri...and-hong-kong/ .
So maybe a pictogram is required at the front desk
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by MT_Switch
Well the increased awareness is going to drive up interest. There is going to be a spike of gold card holders waiting for a plat card invite.
There is no interest unless AMEX HK decides to make AMEX Platinum public like the rest of the world.

However - AMEX faces another problem at that time - an overpriced AF. The AMEX Platinum from Hong Kong costs almost double as AMEX Platinum USA with less benefits.

Bottom line - AMEX is not going to kick that hornet nest.

Have to get around the bunch of Amex Plat Cred/DBS Black AE wannabes first
None of them qualifies anyway.

This makes me wondering - does AMEX build this lounge with the intent of making money (the USD$50 per visit)?

Anyway - those HKG-based bloggers can enjoy their only once-in-a-lifetime visit (as I seriously doubt who can guest them in the future). For me - I will simply visit there every time I can as a part of my lounge hopping
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a big billboard advertising the lounge somewhere either on the drive up to the airport or on the walk into the airport. I forget which one, but I do remember clearly it said opening in October. So that's settled...no need to go for One World Sapphire for me this year. The Skyteam lounge for my MU flights and the Plat lounge for all others will suffice! :-)
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by garykung
For me - I will simply visit there every time I can as a part of my lounge hopping
Exactly. I will now ignore the *A lounges entirely and the Centurion Lounge will be for departures on nonOW flights.... assuming it's on par with SFO/IAH etc.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Got some marketing blurb about the opening today.

Some intel in there about catering.

Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Looks like will be a solid food offering ^
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
Excellent option for all the non OW departure!
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: UA GS 1.1MM | Marriott Lifetime Titanium | National EE
As of a few minutes ago, there are staff inside and the sliding glass door is no longer walled off but the lounge is not yet open.

Last edited by BOISJC744; Sep 27, 2017 at 5:05 am
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:07 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Looking forward to checking it out. Should be a good place to eat & drink before taking a longhaul.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:17 am

Called HK AMEX CS and confirmed the opening date is indeed October 2 (Monday).
As per a previous post above, 2 areas (a restaurant & a bar) are exclusively for Centurion card members. Others are opened for both Centurion and Platinum Charge card members.

According to the same CS, all joint-operated cards, such as the DBS AE Black and even the AE CX card, will NOT be eligible to get in.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:26 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by lorinsersport
According to the same CS, all joint-operated cards, such as the DBS AE Black and even the AE CX card, will NOT be eligible to get in.
Nor the Plat Cred I expect.

Won't stop people asking and feeling offended (product of Amex's marketing for the "Platinum" (credit) card).
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As per a previous post above, 2 areas (a restaurant & a bar) are exclusively for Centurion card members. Others are opened for both Centurion and Platinum Charge card members.
It would be a completely different setup than all other Centurion Lounges if operated as you claim above.

Color me skeptical.

And welcome to FT lorinsersport.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:47 am

Nor the Plat Cred I expect.

Won't stop people asking and feeling offended (product of Amex's marketing for the "Platinum" (credit) card).

Correct. Only Platinum Charge and Centurion Card members will be able to get in. So I agree with you that there will be some unhappy Platinum Credit and Gold Charge card members.

That CS also told me, unlike the Centurion Lounges in the States, you can't even pay US$50 to get in this one in HK... not sure how reliable this information is though.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by dsquared37
It would be a completely different setup than all other Centurion Lounges if operated as you claim above.

Color me skeptical.

And welcome to FT lorinsersport.

Count me in to the skeptical group too. And we will find out soon enough. Fingers crossed!

And thanks for the welcoming! Hope to be able to contribute some useful information here.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That CS also told me, unlike the Centurion Lounges in the States, you can't even pay US$50 to get in this one in HK... not sure how reliable this information is though.
This is the crux of the issue anytime a claim starts with 'CS says'. With only a few days left until opening we'll find out soon enough.

bolding mine
forumpersona999 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.