Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Location is in A-West:

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge PHL (opened 31 Oct 2017)

Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Centurion Lounge PHL (opened 31 Oct 2017)

Lucky is reporting that the next Centurion Lounge will be in PHL opening later this year.

There has been a lot of speculation about what airports are next to get Centurion Lounges, and I’m happy to share some further info about this. Per the airport proposal that was privately shared with me, there’s an Amex Centurion Lounge coming to Philadelphia Airport!

Here’s what we know so far:

The lounge will be located in Terminal A West (international departures) on the mezzanine level, directly above the current British Airways lounge
The lounge will be 5,500 square feet
The lounge will feature six bathrooms and one shower room
The lounge will have a sit down bar, food buffet, self-serve drink bar, a standard mix of lounge seating ranging from large lounge chairs to workbenches to bar top workspaces; there will also be a small room for phone calls
The lounge won’t have much in the way of views — one side of the lounge will face out over the departures drop off point, while the other side of the lounge will have an interior view of the departures hall
Link: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...608.1471289997

Wish it was going into ORD since my flying seems to be mostly UA or DL these days with ORD being the major gap in coverage from the Plat for that travel pattern.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Is PHL connected airside? Can passengers traveling on UA/DL (Terminal D?) get to this without re-clearing security?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:04 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JHake10
Is PHL connected airside? Can passengers traveling on UA/DL (Terminal D?) get to this without re-clearing security?
Yes all terminals in PHL are connected airside. There is a new walk way that connects the F pier that used to only be reachable by bus. Sure it can be a long walk depending on where you start, but its all possible.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I linked to an airport map in the Wikipost for reference. Someone may wish to replace it with a better image, but from this you can see that the rumored location is at a far end of the airport.

Last edited by mia; Jan 17, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:48 am

This certainly is good news for PHL; however, A-West is not the most convenient terminal for domestic travelers. My guess is that it was the only place they could find space, as a more central location would have been much more welcomed. For me, this isn't a big of enough incentive to cancel my Citi Executive card and re-open am AmEx Platinum card.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I linked to an airport map in the Wikipost for reference. Someone may wish to replace it with a better image, but from this you can see that the rumored location is at a far end of the airport.
If it is to be located above the BA lounge this is closer to A east not west. It will mostly benefit international and mainline AA travelers that depart from A/B/C. DL and UA have lounges near D.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA1K
interesting they chose PHL. wonder if they got a sweet deal. when i go back for thanksgiving i will def have to check this out.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
My local airport, ABE, connects me to the rest of the planet through ORD or EWR when flying UA; ATL or DTW with DL and PHL or CLTL on AA. So when I fly through PHL, I always use the AC. However, I will check out the Centurion Lounge once it opens when I have time.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by haddon90
interesting they chose PHL. wonder if they got a sweet deal. when i go back for thanksgiving i will def have to check this out.
It has nothing to do with "sweet deals":

"We've continued to see premium-card members traveling through Philadelphia on a regular basis," said Janey Whiteside, senior vice president at American Express. "We've seen a 10 percent increase in air travel into Philadelphia among our Platinum and Centurion card members over the last year.

"Seeing that increase led to the prioritization of Philadelphia as the next location," Whiteside said.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...d-holders.html

Last edited by mia; Feb 1, 2017 at 1:46 am Reason: Add link to source
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:55 pm

i would take a guess there are more platinum/centurion going through ORD/LAX than PHL
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I do not think the decision to build in PHL tell us anything about ORD or LAX. There needs to be suitably sized, located and priced space available.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by haddon90
i would take a guess there are more platinum/centurion going through ORD/LAX than PHL
Maybe true, but where exactly at ORD is there sufficient space for a CL? Not to mention the international and domestic terminals are separate.

It seems that Amex's hit list for where to locate CLs include:

-AA or UA hubs
-Airports where most if not all terminals are connected airside
-Likely significant number of Plat/Cent card holders live in or travel to said city
-High visibility locations that may not fit #1

And then once you have that, as mia mentions, the airport logistically needs to be able to accommodate it. PHL meets 1 and 2, and apparently the airport has the space.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:50 pm

Me thinks this is a great location for AA (int'l), foreign airlines and (gulp!) Spirit. Worst for those at terminal E (at least at F, you can catch a shuttle to A). Possible, but either a long walk or inconvenient shuttle (need to backtrack to F).
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Maybe true, but where exactly at ORD is there sufficient space for a CL? Not to mention the international and domestic terminals are separate.

It seems that Amex's hit list for where to locate CLs include:

-AA or UA hubs
-Airports where most if not all terminals are connected airside
-Likely significant number of Plat/Cent card holders live in or travel to said city
-High visibility locations that may not fit #1

And then once you have that, as mia mentions, the airport logistically needs to be able to accommodate it. PHL meets 1 and 2, and apparently the airport has the space.
SFO/MIA are not connected airside
but i agree with UA/AA hubs and likely number of cardholders that transit
i am sure there is space in ORD and all except M are connected
Old Feb 10, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
If there is ever a club at ORD or ATL, the club would have to be enormous. Just the sheer volume of travelers throughout the day, both domestic and intl.

I almost think Amex doesn't want to even take a bite of that .... sandwich

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.