Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Location is in A-West:

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge PHL (opened 31 Oct 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by iahphx
I hope the PHL food is good. In another thread, I recently posted that my experiences with Centurion Lounge food is mixed. It's all fancy -- but often pretentious and sometimes not very tasty. I also think the menu would grow tiresome if I visited the lounge frequently at my home airport. AMEX's selection of Solomonov as their chef and the highlighted menu suggests AMEX is doubling-down on their pretentious food strategy. I guess we're all supposed to be impressed by how sophisticated AMEX is. I'm not sure why they don't take a stab at serving high-quality comfort food. I suggested a burger bar as being something way better, and probably cheaper for them. In Philly, that could be a cheese steak bar! Like I don't think most AMEX travelers want malabi with coconut and passionfruit at the airport; just serve a good chocolate chip cookie.

Still, it's way better to have a Centurion Lounge than not have a Centurion Lounge. And I like the bar. But I tend to go for the draft beer selection, since I find the mixed drink menu to also be pretentious and not so tasty.
The menu actually looks really good to me. I like Michael Solomonov's restaurants. I wouldn't call it pretentious. They are sophisticated, yet simple. Should work well in a lounge style buffet offering.

I absolutely would not touch a burger or cheese steak in a lounge! Meat would be overcooked, and buns would be soggy. Neither of which is appealing.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:51 am

Is their demographic much different than that of the other airline lounges? AMEX food is consistently more weird than good. I think it's good to be hip and contemporary, but I can say with 100% confidence that if a restaurant served the food that the Centurion Lounges served, they'd be out of business. "Hip" just doesn't seem do well at airport lounges; simpler food is easier to execute. Kind of like what would happen if you tried to serve this menu on an airplane.

I haven't been to all of the AMEX lounges, but I've been to most of them. The EZE lounge isn't really like the others. The food is more ordinary. That said, about 4 hours after my last visit, I had some very unpleasant gastrointestinal distress. First time I ever had that problem in Argentina. Was it the lounge food? I think so, but it could have been coincidence.
Challah French toast with tehina and blackberries, Israeli salad with feta, kale tabbouleh with apples and pomegranate, Bulgarian kebabs with red pepper and white bean salad, and malabi with coconut and passionfruit

I can totally see these items on the menu at Zahav or Abe Fisher and I wouldn't quite worry about them going out of business.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SP03
Challah French toast with tehina and blackberries, Israeli salad with feta, kale tabbouleh with apples and pomegranate, Bulgarian kebabs with red pepper and white bean salad, and malabi with coconut and passionfruit

I can totally see these items on the menu at Zahav or Abe Fisher and I wouldn't quite worry about them going out of business.
It's not so much the menu, it's the execution of the menu. You'll likely understand this problem a year from now when you walk into the Centurion Lounge at PHL for the 5th time and you say "hmmm, I think I'd rather see what's in the soup tureen at the Admiral's Club." It's crazy, because I know AMEX spends tons more money on food per customer than the airline lounges, but I don't think AMEX spends the money wisely.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
It's crazy, because I know AMEX spends tons more money on food per customer than the airline lounges, but I don't think AMEX spends the money wisely.
I agree that Amex spends more on food than Admirals Clubs do on cheddar cheese cubes, but when you look at the food they serve, it's usually an elegant combination of cheap (although high quality) ingredients. I think the Zahav-style menu is a perfect fit.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 1:29 pm

It's not so much the menu, it's the execution of the menu. You'll likely understand this problem a year from now when you walk into the Centurion Lounge at PHL for the 5th time and you say "hmmm, I think I'd rather see what's in the soup tureen at the Admiral's Club." It's crazy, because I know AMEX spends tons more money on food per customer than the airline lounges, but I don't think AMEX spends the money wisely.
I haven't used the Centurion much since I don't really travel to airports with one. However, I love the food in all the lounges that I have visited. It's exactly the type of food I would order, even if it's not free, if I have a long layover without access to a lounge.

I get that not everyone has the same tastes, but it's pretty spot on for me.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
I do agree sometimes the centurion lounge tries too hard... DFW for instance has chicken that tastes like it was reheated from yesterdays batch and it just isn't appetizing. One thing I do love about AMEX lounge is they have WAY better drinks than other airport lounges.... the food for me is just icing on the cake.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kar don
I do agree sometimes the centurion lounge tries too hard... DFW for instance has chicken that tastes like it was reheated from yesterdays batch and it just isn't appetizing. One thing I do love about AMEX lounge is they have WAY better drinks than other airport lounges.... the food for me is just icing on the cake.
Didn't the DFW lounge originally start with BBQ, but then they changed it? That's one lounge I don't think I've been to. I was just at the IAH Lounge and I thought the food there wasn't very good (although it was "chicken thigh day" and I've heard the meatballs are better). I've had surprisingly good soup at several USA airline lounges (in Philly, I've liked the mushroom bisque at the Admiral's Club), and the mushroom miso soup at the AMEX IAH lounge is pretty much my definition of "pretentious and not very tasty." Obviously, though, you can't please everyone.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 3:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
...anything with mushroom is

But we are drifting off topic a bit PHL being PHL- it would be awesome to have a cheesesteak station (not on buffet- but cooked to order) in the lounge These foods don't exactly scream PHL to me that they are going to serve.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
...anything with mushroom is

But we are drifting off topic a bit PHL being PHL- it would be awesome to have a cheesesteak station (not on buffet- but cooked to order) in the lounge These foods don't exactly scream PHL to me that they are going to serve.
It would be unique, something like the noodle bowls made to order in Asia. And not all cheesesteaks are the sloppy variety, Barclay Prime in Philly offers a $120 cheesesteak.

FWIW, the chef that AMEX is working with is the chef of a restaurant in Philadelphia called Zahav. Zahav is one of the toughest reservations in Philly.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nova08

FWIW, the chef that AMEX is working with is the chef of a restaurant in Philadelphia called Zahav. Zahav is one of the toughest reservations in Philly.
Not to mention, Solomonov has won multiple Awards from the James a beard Foundation, including Outstanding Chef, just this year. Should be good. The ingredients themselves sound simple and delicious.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by nova08
It would be unique, something like the noodle bowls made to order in Asia. And not all cheesesteaks are the sloppy variety, Barclay Prime in Philly offers a $120 cheesesteak.

As someone who lives in Philly, I don’t quite understand the appeal of cheesesteak. It’s neither healthy nor tasty.

If you are in the city and get a cheesesteak at Jims, Pats or Geno’s, at least you are getting that experience. But at the centurion lounge, it’s just a cheeesteak.

Michael Solomnov has introduced and redefined moderned Israeli cooking and given the amount of attention he’s gotten lately, I think he’s totally the right chef to showcase his food at the lounge.

The other options would be Starr or Garces, but honestly the quality of these two catering are somewhat inconsistent. And both of them cover such a wide range of cuisines that there’s really no one cuisine that can be uniquely associated with the name.

so in the end, I’m super happy about the choice.
chrisny2, patmcpsu and jacobguo like this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:23 am

Update from Oct 13: walked by this morning and all the construction paper on the windows have been removed. Chairs and decorations are all lined up in their proper places. Saw several workers in the lounge but the only equipment appeared to be IT and networking cables. The entry still has the blue facade.
hi55us likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by mjm572
Update from Oct 13: walked by this morning and all the construction paper on the windows have been removed. Chairs and decorations are all lined up in their proper places. Saw several workers in the lounge but the only equipment appeared to be IT and networking cables. The entry still has the blue facade.
Now they're just waiting for the lounge dragons to fly in
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
October 23 Opening Date.

Just spoke with an AMEX rep. I asked her if she knew when the PHL Centurion Lounge would open. She went away for a minute to find the answer, and just said, "The Philadelphia lounge will be opening October 23."
mjm572 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:59 pm

I just happen to fly into PHL next week. If true, I’ll visit and report back. Will be arriving at E gate, so will be quite an exercise
DMPHL likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.