Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Location is in A-West:

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge PHL (opened 31 Oct 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by iahphx
How's the shower?
Perfectly serviceable. It's a large, wheelchair-accessible room, with a sink, bench, toilet, and shower with shower curtain. Towels, shampoo, etc. are provided and you can request a hair dryer. They will give you a pager (1) so you know when the shower is ready for you and (2) so you know when your time is up. They enforce a time limit of 15 minutes when the door closes, and will page you when that runs out. I don't know what happens if you stay in past the time limit, as I was finished before then.

The water pressure isn't great. But it's fantastic to have the option, coming off a redeye and going straight to meetings ^
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Showed up about an hour ago off of AA BCN-PHL, tried to pop in to the lounge (ideally to shower before an onward connection) but there was a line of 7 or so people, and the agent came out to announce that the lounge was at capacity, so it was one in/one out, like some sort of would-be nightclub. I promptly went back downstairs and found the delightfully uncrowded AA lounge.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 11:20 am

Israeli food

Originally Posted by SP03
I don't really understand what you think Philly food is and should be.

Tex-Mex would be out of place in PEK because there is such a thing as Chinese food. But I don't think there's really a Philly food.

Michael Solomonov is probably one of the best known chefs in Philly, so I think him as the chef and his food is highly appropriate for the Amex lounge.
being originally from Israel, I always liked Israeli food. If I were to be offered this , much touted food, I woukd demand my money back...In this case, I got what I paid for, zero quality.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They've made some menu changes at the PHL lounge this month; there's a new cocktail menu that keeps some of the old choices but adds some new ones. The bar is still a quality operation.

The food is also a little different, but not better, IMO. Now the meatballs are chicken. It's unimaginable to me that anyone would go for seconds. I'm starting to wonder if they're intentionally serving "meh" food so guests will eat less.

That said, I'm not entirely sure the food is better at the other AMEX lounges. I was in SEA for breakfast the other day and I actually preferred the PHL food (admittedly, breakfast is by far the best meal at the PHL AMEX lounge). While SEA has no weird theme, they still have weird food. Like the only hot breakfast food was (standard issue) sausage patties. Imagine a breakfast buffet with one hot item and have it be sausage patties. I guess I just don't understand the AMEX lounge concept. I think I could easily serve significantly more appealing food for less money than they spend.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:21 am

I agree

not only the food is of low quality, the whole lounge is low quality as it is overcrowded and small. I cannot believe this food is designed by a highly touted chef unless the positive reviews come from people who must have lost their taste buds. In Israel, customers would shun this low quality so called Israeli food. The whole lounge experience was highly negative.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
....not entirely sure the food is better at the other AMEX lounges. I was in SEA....
Seattle is not representative. It is the only USA Centurion lounge without an on-site kitchen. It was originally called a Centurion Studio, but American Express abandoned that nomenclature when the SEA club was enlarged. Unfortunately, the enlargement did not include a kitchen.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Seattle is not representative. It is the only USA Centurion lounge without an on-site kitchen. It was originally called a Centurion Studio, but American Express abandoned that nomenclature when the SEA club was enlarged. Unfortunately, the enlargement did not include a kitchen.
Yeah, I remember when the SEA lounge was much smaller. I actually think it's now larger than the PHL lounge -- at least the public portions of the PHL lounge.

There are internet rumors that Solomonov insisted on a large kitchen for the PHL lounge, and that not everyone was/is happy with that decision. If it is true that the kitchen is large at PHL, I would submit that AMEX is not getting its money's worth. I think many of us would prefer a larger public area and a new chef. I would also note that the actual preparation of the food served in PHL is inconsistent, although I've always guessed that's due to the folks preparing the food and not the size of the kitchen.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:07 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by scubadu
Ummm... seriously, I think we are all quite clear on your disdain for the food; we've got it...

Regards
This post from March 30 of earlier this year remains relevant.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:21 pm
Suspended

Zero surprised that the food is still an issue. I’ve been there maybe 8 times so far and it’s still weird although I think I’m enjoying it more. Or maybe I was just very hungry.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
At the PHL CL right now. Definitely has a Moroccan theme going on. The chicken was juicy and tender, very flavorful. Squash and asparagus were delicious. The rice was okay, a little on the dry side. Overall, the food was pretty decent.

Since it's a Sat, the lounge is about half full during lunch time (noon).
chrisny2, Flying Machine and drpad like this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SP03
At the PHL CL right now. Definitely has a Moroccan theme going on. The chicken was juicy and tender, very flavorful. Squash and asparagus were delicious. The rice was okay, a little on the dry side. Overall, the food was pretty decent.

Since it's a Sat, the lounge is about half full during lunch time (noon).
I had this menu yesterday. It is the best dinner food they serve -- superior to their other offerings. I'm not sure I'd describe the squash as "delicious," but I did go back for more asparagus and chicken. If you show up on a good day, you'll think my complaint about "meh" food are exaggerated. If you show up on a bad day, you'll understand why I think they waste their money on expensive-ish badly prepared food.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Decent food -- again!

They had the chicken meatballs again. Last time I was served them they were almost inedible. This time they were quite tasty. It prompted me to ask the server what's going on. "It depends who makes them," was the response . They also had chicken soup, which would have been very good had it not been room temperature.

Overall, though, the food seems to be getting better. Unless I'm just getting luckier on who's in the kitchen.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:01 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Sigh...horribly crowded, every seat occupied, probably 20 people standing around counters, walls, bar...basically anywhere one could plop down bags and occupy 2 sq. ft.

Food was okay. The “harissa chicken” was unimpressive, but the passion fruit dessert cup was quite tasty.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:45 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by JY1024
...horribly crowded,...
Are they enforcing the Departing Passengers only/ X Hours before departure policy, as has been used at other Centurion lounges that are at capacity?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
Originally Posted by mia
Are they enforcing the Departing Passengers only/ X Hours before departure policy, as has been used at other Centurion lounges that are at capacity?
It was in place today at 4 and reportedly in the second week of the implementation there. Not fun for me, coming all the way from E Gates after my flight in search of something to tide me over before dealing with a rush hour drive.

Also the elevator was broken.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.