Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Location is in A-West:

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge PHL (opened 31 Oct 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Tekj
No, it did not.. I was in PHL Airport today in the morning. Outside the lounge, it is still saying "Arriving Soon".
Welcome to FT Tekj Thanks for the update..
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Upscale gourmet seems to be the theme that AMEX is trying to provide. I find it quite appealing. The stuffed bell peppers, tabouli, Hummus, Mediterranean bread's, small canapés all seemed very inviting to me
Yup, no question that AMEX is going for maximum "sophistication" -- I would say "over sophistication." I personally think AMEX is in an elitist urban bubble with this strategy, and delivering more sizzle than steak (talk about mixing food metaphors!), but we'll see.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:30 am
Suspended

As PHL is my home airport I’m really looking forward to the club because I miss the service and food in the old envoy club. Will be interested to see how it compares with the new redone AA club. But I too hope that they will have more basic less sophisticated food. One or two fancy or unusual items to try? Great! Everything like that? I hope not.

On a a side note, how do these clubs, which I would guess are not cheap, help Amex’s bottom line? I have the card for my business but I’m not sure I would get it just for club access. Am I in the minority?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by QtownDave
As PHL is my home airport I’m really looking forward to the club because I miss the service and food in the old envoy club. Will be interested to see how it compares with the new redone AA club. But I too hope that they will have more basic less sophisticated food. One or two fancy or unusual items to try? Great! Everything like that? I hope not.

On a a side note, how do these clubs, which I would guess are not cheap, help Amex’s bottom line? I have the card for my business but I’m not sure I would get it just for club access. Am I in the minority?
marketing and to replace the loss of admiral's lounge access. it appeals to a segment of plat card holders/potential holders
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:16 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Just walked by this afternoon and the curtain/"Coming Soon" sign is still up. Maybe it'll be up and running by Friday.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: United 1K, Frontier Platinum (lol), fmr Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Smile Hurry up AMEX!

The Centurion Lounge attracts members and our $550/yr annual fees add up to thousands of dollars per cardmember over the years. Have you noticed that AMEX has been bombarding us with ads at PHL? I guess they brought this in to close the deal. Also, I totally agree with you about the food... I'd love to try some new things, but food that is upscale but appeals to a wider audience would be much better for the majority of their clientele.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by durche63
The Centurion Lounge attracts members and our $550/yr annual fees add up to thousands of dollars per cardmember over the years. Have you noticed that AMEX has been bombarding us with ads at PHL? I guess they brought this in to close the deal. Also, I totally agree with you about the food... I'd love to try some new things, but food that is upscale but appeals to a wider audience would be much better for the majority of their clientele.
im sure you’re right and obviously Amex knows more about marketing then I do. It still seems that a lot of NEW members need to sign up to even break even. Maybe instead of new members, it more about retaining guys like us.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:23 pm

im sure you’re right and obviously Amex knows more about marketing then I do. It still seems that a lot of NEW members need to sign up to even break even. Maybe instead of new members, it more about retaining guys like us.
Yep- I think amex has separated itself from CSR and Prestige in-terms of unique lounges (Centurion, airspace, escape, and Sky Club). I definitely thought it was a one year ordeal when I first got the card but with all the unique lounges and amex offers, I think I get enough value from it to continue paying the AF.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:54 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Connecting through PHL tomorrow - 26th - let's hope it's open!
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:57 am

Programs: AA - EXP
I walked past on 23 Oct and saw the lovely sign that the lounge would be arriving soon and jobs were available. I had high hopes that I would be able to go to the new Centurion Lounge, Admirals Club had to do instead. I did call Amex, and while they did say the opening date was quite secretive and getting information, even for them, was difficult, it will be announced on the Centurion Lounge website the day that it opens.
Looking forward to hearing non-press reports about the lounge.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:54 am

I was there the evening of the press event; Amex folks onsite said the date was TBD still. “Could be as soon as 8 days, or as late as 2 weeks.” This was the evening of the 19th.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Scott MacIntyre
I was there the evening of the press event; Amex folks onsite said the date was TBD still. “Could be as soon as 8 days, or as late as 2 weeks.” This was the evening of the 19th.
Welcome to FT Scott MacIntyre! Thanks for the update..
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by tbd1579
I walked past on 23 Oct and saw the lovely sign that the lounge would be arriving soon and jobs were available. I had high hopes that I would be able to go to the new Centurion Lounge, Admirals Club had to do instead. I did call Amex, and while they did say the opening date was quite secretive and getting information, even for them, was difficult, it will be announced on the Centurion Lounge website the day that it opens.
Looking forward to hearing non-press reports about the lounge.

Is it just possible they purposely announce so close to opening day so the club won't be inundated; gives the staff a while to get up to speed?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by durche63
Also, I totally agree with you about the food... I'd love to try some new things, but food that is upscale but appeals to a wider audience would be much better for the majority of their clientele.
Right, that's what I'm talking about. I just think the folks who design these lounges are out of touch with their customer base. They seem to hire urban hipsters to do this. I guarantee you that most AMEX Platinum cardholders are not this demographic. Trend-setting Israeli food? Great! Or at least great the first time I visit the lounge. But I'll probably be there 6 or 8 times in the next year. Given my experiences at their other Centurion lounges, I'm certain I'll be pining for soup and sandwiches by then. I'll probably then start scheming for a way into the Admiral's Club lounge without dropping $500 for the privilege.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:35 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Tangential discussion of Platinum card benefit valuation has been transferred:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...fee-550-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.