Late Checkout:

Upgrade:
$100 Food & Beverage Credit:
Breakfast:
Prepaid/Paid at Hotel:
Loyalty Points/Benefits Received?:
Comment
:

FHR reports 2013-2016 (excluding Las Vegas) are HERE.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...06-2012-a.html

FHR properties in Las Vegas are discussed HERE

FHR is the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts benefit program available with Centurion and Platinum charge cards.

Receive these complimentary benefits with each FINE HOTELS & RESORTS booking:
  • Noon check-In, when available
  • Room Upgrade upon arrival, when available*
  • Daily breakfast for two people
  • Guaranteed 4pm late checkout. Additional special benefit unique to each property, such as a $100 food and beverage credit or a massage for two people**

USA cardholder may book online at: americanexpress.com/fhr or call Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-525-3355. Cardholders from other countries can use the same website to see participating properties, but cannot view prices or book. In some countries FHR properties can be booked through the general American Express Travel site.

Per the T's and C's of FHR, you must pay with an American Express card when checking out of the hotel. However many front desk agents don't notice or care so it is possible, but not a guarantee, that you can pay with a non-Amex card.

Print Wikipost

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mitpat474
Yeah i read the WA threat over on HH, so can anyone point me in the direction of where this might be in terms of T&Cs? just so i can rebut their last email.
I'm not sure arguing with a German property over benefits in advance of stay is a recommended strategy for a pleasant stay experience.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm not sure arguing with a German property over benefits in advance of stay is a recommended strategy for a pleasant stay experience.
on the contrary it could be a ill informed front desk employee? anyway spoke to the hotel again someone senior, and confirmed both benefits apply. No arguing, no issue.
mia likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Island Shangri-la, Hong Kong
Upgrade:
none because room was highest category harbour view. Could not upgrade to suite or executive floor.
Early Check-in: 12:30 pm
Late Check-out: 4:00 pm
Breakfast: buffet at Cafe TOO (buffet, very busy with non-staying guests) , Petrus (small buffet with a la carte "mains"), the executive lounge, or room service. Petrus offers rooftop harbour views, small buffet including Scottish smoked salmon, cheese, cold cuts, fruits,breads, and unlimited servings of mains from the menu, which include most items from the room service menu. But here you can enjoy as many servings as you want - HK / Japanese / English / Dim Sum sets, scrambled eggs with lobster, pan-fried toothfish, chicken breast...
For room service, you can only order 2 breakfast sets per room.
WiFi: Included
Amenity: used limousine transfer to the airport (posted price: 1200HKD). Typical 100 USD credit at other local FHR hotels would be equivalent to ~720 HKD. It's a Mercedes S class limousine. At the destination hotel staff provided luggage service from curb side to check-in counter. Regular taxi transfer would be ~400 HKD.
Overall Experience: Great location. Room decor and hotel in general is based on old world charm - wood panels, chandelier in bedroom etc.Fruit platter was replenished daily.
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Amex Fine Hotels breakfast question

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I had a question regarding the daily breakfast for the FHR program. I have stayed mainly in Park Hyatts in the past, but recently I stayed at the Four Seasons in Chicago.

Previously, the Park Hyatt would provide something like a $40 credit per person for breakfast. On the pamphlet I received at the Four Seasons, it said "$60 credit towards breakfast" and on Amex's website, it said "daily breakfast for two." The Four Seasons only took off one $60 credit ($30 per person). Did I get screwed? Naturally, we both spent close to $60 each (it isnt hard to spend that much) and were surprised when our bill only had $60 credit total per visit.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: United PremPlat; M LT Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire A
I think the amount for breakfast credit varies from hotel to hotel. $30 doesn't sound unusual, $60 per person breakfast credit would be too generous IMHO.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by illesus
I think the amount for breakfast credit varies from hotel to hotel. $30 doesn't sound unusual, $60 per person breakfast credit would be too generous IMHO.
I felt the same way, but in all my previous FHR stays, the credit advertised was per person and not total for both. If anyone who has stayed at the Four Seasons can chime in, I'd appreciate it. I don't want to argue anything if this is standard. They certainly did not specify it was per person. Only Amex says "daily breakfast for two people." Four seasons merely said "$60 credit towards breakfast or in-room dining."
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Looking at reports in this thread from other Chicago properties, it appears that Lowes also allows $30/person, and Peninsula allow $72/room. I don't think the test is whether you can spend more, but whether the allowance will buy "a" breakfast.
747FC likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by mia
Looking at reports in this thread from other Chicago properties, it appears that Lowes also allows $30/person, and Peninsula allow $72/room. I don't think the test is whether you can spend more, but whether the allowance will buy "a" breakfast.
Most likely, yes. It was my fault for not asking the front desk to clarify, but in the past when I have, the answer has always been that the credit is per person. $30 would barely buy a breakfast at the Four Seasons. I assume each property sets that policy.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zorbachs
Most likely, yes. It was my fault for not asking the front desk to clarify, but in the past when I have, the answer has always been that the credit is per person. $30 would barely buy a breakfast at the Four Seasons. I assume each property sets that policy.
Technically isn't the FHR benefit for "continental breakfast"? Which would mean coffee, juice, and a pastry. That shouldn't be over $30, even at the FS! If it is, I would definitely complain to Amex!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beep88
Amenity: used limousine transfer to the airport (posted price: 1200HKD). Typical 100 USD credit at other local FHR hotels would be equivalent to ~720 HKD. It's a Mercedes S class limousine. At the destination hotel staff provided luggage service from curb side to check-in counter. Regular taxi transfer would be ~400 HKD.
I don't know if I would "value" the car transfer at the stated price, just like I don't value my airline mileage redemptions on $25k first class fares at that level.
Especially when the alternative is a US$4-5 taxi ride and ~$8 Airport Express ticket (half-R/T via Klook) that probably gets you there faster. Frankly, it's one of the reasons I didn't choose the Island Shangri-La on a recent trip. In general, I wouldn't put that much value on an airport drop-off, especially in HKG. A pickup after a long flight is worth incrementally more, and especially if it's an unfamiliar place to me where a language barrier might exist. We did stay at the Metropole in Hanoi a few years ago and requested an airport pickup on the FHR rate (I didn't realize the benefit specified a trip TO the airport, but the concierge agreed to pick us up anyway, as we already had separate departure arrangements), in a nice big BMW, which was definitely nice, but I'm sure I wouldn't have paid retail price.

In any event, thanks for the report on the hotel!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Technically isn't the FHR benefit for "continental breakfast"? Which would mean coffee, juice, and a pastry. That shouldn't be over $30, even at the FS! If it is, I would definitely complain to Amex!
I don't know what it technically is. The Park Hyatts offered their full menu as did Four Seasons. $30 at Four Seasons would have gotten you the cheapest option on the menu meal wise. It would be nice if this feature was presented more clearly as each property, but I assume part of it is they don't want you to know and expect you to not ask.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I don't know if I would "value" the car transfer at the stated price, just like I don't value my airline mileage redemptions on $25k first class fares at that level.
Especially when the alternative is a US$4-5 taxi ride and ~$8 Airport Express ticket (half-R/T via Klook) that probably gets you there faster. Frankly, it's one of the reasons I didn't choose the Island Shangri-La on a recent trip. In general, I wouldn't put that much value on an airport drop-off, especially in HKG.
That's also the reason I chose to stay at Conrad instead (see couple posts up) which I paid for. At the ISL my travel companion (relative) was paying.

I had purchased return airport express from Klook also. Since my relative didn't want the limousine transfer, I gave him my airport express ticket in exchange for the limousine. We left HK on different days.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
On the pamphlet I received at the Four Seasons, it said "$60 credit towards breakfast" and on Amex's website, it said "daily breakfast for two." The Four Seasons only took off one $60 credit ($30 per person). Did I get screwed? Naturally, we both spent close to $60 each (it isnt hard to spend that much) and were surprised when our bill only had $60 credit total per visit.
If it's not enough for a reasonable breakfast, you could complain to AMEX. $30 seems pretty low in a luxury hotel.

I've stayed at properties that stated there was a limit on the breakfast spend on an FHR rate, but never had one actually enforce it. IIRC, Langham NYC told me $35, but didn't blink twice at waiving overage (I did not have to ask).
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know what it technically is. The Park Hyatts offered their full menu as did Four Seasons. $30 at Four Seasons would have gotten you the cheapest option on the menu meal wise. It would be nice if this feature was presented more clearly as each property, but I assume part of it is they don't want you to know and expect you to not ask.
Perhaps - they figure if you're a fancy-schmantzy Platinum card holder booking a luxury hotel, then you don't care what things cost...
FWIW, this is in the fine print: Breakfast amenity varies by property, but will be, at a minimum, a continental breakfast.
Still, if it wasn't spelled out in the printed documents, and you went over the limit despite ordering reasonably, I would just complain to the hotel and to Amex.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Marriott PP, HH G, GC Jade
Hotel Arts Barcelona - 1 room x 2 nights in early december
Upgrade:
from club room to club executive suite (with seaview).
Early Check-in: noon
Late Check-out: 4:00 pm
Breakfast: buffet at Lokal (good spread, very good quality, not busy).
WiFi: Included
Amenity: 85 euro for food & beverage. Used at Arola (booked through TheFork with -30% discount ;-)). In this way the 85 euro are enough for a full tapas-dinner x2.
Note on the club lounge: it was closed for rennovation! I wasn't happy of that...till the moment I know that they'll give me free access to the full menu of Bites Restaurant from 11:00 am till 11:30 pm! Free a-la-carte food and free beverages, including Champagne Ruinart Rosč and Ruinart Blanc de Blancs! We really apreciate!!! We have happy hour the first evening, happy hour + dinner the second evening and lunch the last day befour departure.
Overall Experience: Great service (except housekeeping...which wasn't so good!). Location: great on summer because of the beach...otherwise it's not central (but with max 10 euro ride taxi you're in Placa Catalunya). Modern and spacious suite (+/- 75 sqm).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.