Late Checkout:

Upgrade:
$100 Food & Beverage Credit:
Breakfast:
Prepaid/Paid at Hotel:
Loyalty Points/Benefits Received?:
Comment
:

FHR reports 2013-2016 (excluding Las Vegas) are HERE.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...06-2012-a.html

FHR properties in Las Vegas are discussed HERE

FHR is the American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts benefit program available with Centurion and Platinum charge cards.

Receive these complimentary benefits with each FINE HOTELS & RESORTS booking:
  • Noon check-In, when available
  • Room Upgrade upon arrival, when available*
  • Daily breakfast for two people
  • Guaranteed 4pm late checkout. Additional special benefit unique to each property, such as a $100 food and beverage credit or a massage for two people**

USA cardholder may book online at: americanexpress.com/fhr or call Platinum Travel Service at 1-800-525-3355. Cardholders from other countries can use the same website to see participating properties, but cannot view prices or book. In some countries FHR properties can be booked through the general American Express Travel site.

Per the T's and C's of FHR, you must pay with an American Express card when checking out of the hotel. However many front desk agents don't notice or care so it is possible, but not a guarantee, that you can pay with a non-Amex card.

Print Wikipost

FHR Upgrades and Amenities [except Las Vegas]

Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
Bernardus Lodge, Carmel Valley

Early check in: Used and received room at noon. Checked in at 11AM.
Upgrade: Two category from premium garden to premium st. lucia
Breakfast: $60 credit at Lucia OR in-room dining.
Amenity: US$100 credit.
Late check out: was offered and used it.

Great overnight getaway. Valet, front desk staff were incredible. Restaurant and pool service...definitely not as polished, but was very casual. Unseasonable hot (110 deg) and only one person at the pool bar serving everyone...odd.

Breakfast was very "blah," lunch was a bit better. Minibar + snacks in the room are all included.

Two SL's and either one or two GLS's for complimentary road drives. One of the SL's in the shop, so car was in decent demand. Did manage it for a night drive and 17-mi drive the day after.

$150 pet fee, grounds were great for dogs. They have some event areas with wide expanses of lawn where we let our dog off leash for a bit. There were a LOT of dogs on the property.

I think I found my staycation place...will definitely be back when rates are reasonable.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
The New York EDITION

Early check in: Unavailable
Upgrade: Guest Room to Deluxe City View Room
Breakfast: $60 at the Clocktower Restaurant ($30 per person)
Amenity: $100 food and beverage credit to be used anywhere in the hotel
Late check out: Was offered and used it. I checked out at 4 PM on the dot.

All-In-All

I had a FANTASTIC stay at the NY Edition. I'd read some sub-par reviews on the staff and the elevators, but I didn't experience anything like that myself. The staff was nothing but friendly and helpful and the elevators worked without issue. The upgrade to the city view room was great! My view of lower Manhattan had to be one of the best in the city. I'd highly recommend the NY Edition to anyone.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:15 pm

Ritz Carlton Philadelphia

Ritz Carlton Philadelphia

Booked 2 base level rooms for 1 night stay

Early check in: Not used, checked-in after 4PM.
Upgrade: Both rooms were upgraded to next level, superior rooms, but both on 7th floor of 20+ floor hotel.
Breakfast: $80 credit in restaurant.
Amenity: US$100 credit, can be used for anything except valet.
Late check out: Proactively offered and used.

FHR booking was acknowledged at check-in and benefits explained. However, was incorrectly told that breakfast is only a $40 credit. A letter was provided, which I read later and realized it was $40 per person, up to 2 people. No issues with the appropriate credits being applied at check-out.

Hard product is okay except for the slow elevators. Soft product left a lot to be desired.

Was coincidently staying here during a special occasion and I happened to communicate this to guest relations via email prior to arrival as I needed some help coordinating other things. No acknowledgement of special occasion or gesture of any kind during stay. Was upgraded to next level rooms, but on very low floors where the views were completely blocked by construction. I kept 1 room, but requested to be moved from the 2nd room because it was next to elevator. I was moved to to another superior room on the 20th floor.

Stay was perfectly fine and I think its the only modern luxury hotel in the city so I would stay again. Service not as good as other domestic Ritz properties.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Rosewood Hotel Georgia, Vancouver

Stayed: 3 nights, with 3rd free
Booked: Deluxe City View King
Upgraded: Executive City View room - on a corner, at the end of a hallway
Early checkin: 1:30pm
Late checkout: 1pm
Amenity: $100 USD Property credit that we used very quickly in the Reflections rooftop bar
Breakfast: $30 per person - in room or at Hawkesworth

This was our first stay here, but I really like this hotel. I prefer it to the Four Seasons across the street. The public areas here are bigger and more relaxed than the FS. The Reflections rooftop bar is a great space to hang out and get a drink and snacks. Prohibition is a very well done speakeasy type bar in the basement, with an external entrance.

Hawkesworth is a destination restaurant that I find is Ok, but not great for dinner, but did breakfast well. We didn't realize until the last day that the in-room breakfast menu was completely different to the restaurant one. Next time we'll try that out.

The house car, advertised to go a certain distance, actually doesn't cross the bridges. On a quiet Sunday evening they bent this rule for us, but it's worth keeping in mind.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:13 pm

Andaz Maui

Andaz Maui

Stayed: 3 nights in September
Room Upgrade: No, none was available
Early Checkin: Not used
Late Checkout: Offered, but not used
Daily Breakfast: Full buffet breakfast at Ka'ana Kitchen
Special Amenity: $100 USD spa credit
Promotion: None

Our second stay at Andaz Maui was good, although it did not match the excellent experience we had before. We were not provided a room upgrade this time, with the reason being that the hotel was full, but I feel like it was more because they were cordoning off guests to certain floors/levels to make maintenance easier. We booked the lowest level mountain-view (Mauka) room, but it was a double queen as the king was unavailable.

Given the higher number of guests, getting a pool chair exactly where you wanted was a bit challenging, although this time around we did not spend as much time at the hotel. Some parts of our room could have used some work, such as the toilet door that was slightly misaligned and wouldn't shut easily as well as the air conditioning that had a really hard time keeping the room cool. It was constantly running, but very little cold air made it into the room. This made some nights feel more humid and warm than we would like.

Daily buffet breakfast at Ka'ana was nice and had solid offerings, and the price was fully included in the FHR rate (nothing is charged when you leave). They also added a netting to the open-air side of the patio, which helped to keep birds from picking at people's breakfasts. Food was okay at Lehua Lounge, but I really wish they had more options there. Also, while we always prefer F&B/property credit over spa credit, at Andaz they allowed us to use it toward merchandise, so we used it to buy a couple items.

Lastly, the final two issues we had about the hotel are that it carries a rather hefty $40 resort fee, plus another $30 valet parking fee (no self-parking is available). That ends up being a 10-15% room rate increase over the advertised amount, which I feel is a bit underhanded.

Overall, we didn't enjoy our stay as much as our previous visit, mostly due to a lack of upgrade, high occupancy, and room issues. We would consider it again in the future when staying in Wailea, however, provided lower occupancy and reasonable rates.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Leela Palace, New Delhi

Early check in: Didn't Use
Room Upgrade: Don't Know
Amenity: $100 on any of the Dinner Restaurants (despite being written only for the Indian restaurant)
Late check out: 4PM
Breakfast: Breakfast Buffett

Wonderful hotel. Stunning rooftop pool. Great service. Definitely see why it's the #1 hotel in Delhi!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:34 pm

Rosewood Castiglion del Bosco, Montalcino Italy

Early Check-In: Yes

Late Check-Out: Yes

Welcome Gift: Welcome drink, and small gift basket

Room Upgrade: Yes, to a duplex villa with incredible terrace and views

Breakfast: Yes, we ordered off of the a la carte menu and buffet each day, and never saw a charge

Amenity: $85/euro to use however... we burned through it on poolside cocktails very quickly

This is one of the nicest places I have ever stayed. The service is out of this world; for instance, somehow during our stay they discovered that I like marcona almonds and sparkling water, and my wife likes still water. So, when we were checking out, our car magically appeared with the a/c running, our luggage in it, a bottle of carbonated water for me, still water for my wife, and two packs of marcona almonds on the driver side. Unreal.

LEFAY Resort, Lake Garda, Italy

Early Check-In: Yes

Late Check-Out: Yes

Welcome Gift: Welcome drink, and small gift basket with wine

Room Upgrade: Yes, to an enormous corner suite with its own spa and terrace and panoramic views of the lake

Breakfast: Yes, we ordered off of the a la carte menu and buffet each day, and never saw a charge. Incredible buffet (never thought I'd say that).

Amenity: 50 minute massage for 2 people (me and my wife)

The pools and spa here are worth the trip alone. Truly one of the best spas either of us have ever been to.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 2:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Kahala Resort Honolulu

My first FHR booking, a total fiasco. Booked second lowest room category (mountain view lanai room). Was refused upgrade at check-in b/c their policy apparently is a one class upgrade and they claimed not to have the one class above my booked room ("dolphin view" whatever that is). Website showed availability in all room types . . . and this is one of the those places with numerous gradations, so we're talking about something like five higher room types being available, without even getting to the specialty suites.

Front desk agent offered me a two class upgrade (ocean view) for $120 per night (on top of my $475 night room rate). I declined to pay for an upgrade and asked to speak to a manager. Manager repeated the $120 per night offer. I declined again. She then offered to cut it in half. I told her (politely) I was complaining to AMEX. After 5 minutes of (polite) argument, she caved and gave me the ocean view for no extra charge.

While there is a decent view of the ocean, all the "ocean view" rooms overlook the driveway and valet parking. They are nowhere near the 520 sq. ft. advertised on the website. I'd guess 400 sq. ft. They're smaller than Ali'i tower rooms at HHV.

On the plus side, the beach is pretty nice and it's away from the crowds and craziness of Waikiki. But no way would I return, or recommend this place.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
My first FHR booking, a total fiasco. Booked second lowest room category (mountain view lanai room). Was refused upgrade at check-in b/c their policy apparently is a one class upgrade and they claimed not to have the one class above my booked room ("dolphin view" whatever that is). Website showed availability in all room types . . . and this is one of the those places with numerous gradations, so we're talking about something like five higher room types being available, without even getting to the specialty suites.

Front desk agent offered me a two class upgrade (ocean view) for $120 per night (on top of my $475 night room rate). I declined to pay for an upgrade and asked to speak to a manager. Manager repeated the $120 per night offer. I declined again. She then offered to cut it in half. I told her (politely) I was complaining to AMEX. After 5 minutes of (polite) argument, she caved and gave me the ocean view for no extra charge.

While there is a decent view of the ocean, all the "ocean view" rooms overlook the driveway and valet parking. They are nowhere near the 520 sq. ft. advertised on the website. I'd guess 400 sq. ft. They're smaller than Ali'i tower rooms at HHV.

On the plus side, the beach is pretty nice and it's away from the crowds and craziness of Waikiki. But no way would I return, or recommend this place.
Wow!! Glad you stood your ground, although I would complain to AMEX about the square footage and the initial denied upgrade. That's disingenuous and unacceptable!
AAExpDFW and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Payment with Different AMEX

The Wiki states: "Per the T's and C's of FHR, you must pay with an American Express card when checking out of the hotel. However many front desk agents don't notice or care so it is possible, but not a guarantee, that you can pay with a non-Amex card."

It seems that per the T & C's, I can definitely pay with another AMEX card, not my Platinum, and that should be completely above board. Am I correct? Any risk of them retroactively charging me for the benefits I consumed from the FHR program (i.e. $100 hotel credit) when paying with an AMEX card other than my AMEX Platinum?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MarkP24
It seems that per the T & C's, I can definitely pay with another AMEX card, not my Platinum, and that should be completely above board. Am I correct? Any risk of them retroactively charging me for the benefits I consumed from the FHR program (i.e. $100 hotel credit) when paying with an AMEX card other than my AMEX Platinum?
I can't see it being any risk at all. It's up to the property and if they accept your payment method then that should be that. I wouldn't even pause for thought before using a different Amex-issued Amex as it's not like Amex are even losing out on the interchange fee (which would be the case if using a card not issued by them). Given the 2.99% forex fee Amex charges on all their UK cards though I've certainly used other fee-free ones not issued by them and not once have I had an issue.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by MarkP24
The Wiki states: "Per the T's and C's of FHR, you must pay with an American Express card when checking out of the hotel. However many front desk agents don't notice or care so it is possible, but not a guarantee, that you can pay with a non-Amex card."

On the other side, couple of hotels refused that I pay the incidentals with non amex !! Did comply but no luck
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:15 am

Believe the T&C upgrade is +1 if available (excluding some / all suites)
If +1 is not available, the hotel has no requirement to upgrade you to +2
Correct me if I'm wrong

That's also true that some hotel may like to have NUMEROUS room categories so the +1 upgrade is nothing (if they do that on purpose to sell paid upgrade for +2 etc that will be ashamed)
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CGRA
Believe the T&C upgrade is +1 if available (excluding some / all suites). If +1 is not available, the hotel has no requirement to upgrade you to +2
The T&Cs I found on the FHR home page state:
Noon check-in and room upgrade are based on availability and are provided at check-in.
Are there more detailed terms somewhere else I'm not aware of?

Regardless, I felt it was exceptionally poor form for them to decline the upgrade, then offer me an upsell, particularly with wide open availability in numerous categories.

I believe the ownership is Japanese (as was the FDM), so that may explain why they are so strict.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Are there more detailed terms somewhere else I'm not aware of?

Not more detailed, but they do mention that not all room categories are available for upgrade, and that if you want to know more you need to call PTS:

Room upgrade upon arrival, when available...Certain room categories are not eligible for upgrade; call Platinum Travel Service for details.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.