Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2016). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2017.

Jerry: Aug 2017 latest update, all-in-one summary

New as of Mar 23, 2017, minimum spend up to $3000 now
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $3000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

New as of March 23 2016.
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral

Updated as of July 21, 2017
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

July 18-Oct 18, 2017 - welcome offer increased 5K to 25K.
Sep 28, 2017 - Personal and Business SPG bonus drops from 10K to 5K per approved referral.
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
- if you applied recently for the SPG card at the 20K welcome level, try contacting Amex by Secured Message to ask if they can match the current 25K offer. Several successful datapoints have surfaced with manual addition of 5K at next statement. YMMV.

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)

This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers.

Referral Difference Between Cards:
Please note there is a maximum annual referral bonus you can make per card.

AMEX Platinum Rewards
- Earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards
- Earn 25K MR for each referral you make
AMEX Gold Rewards
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • mid-May 2016, increased from $500 to $1500 required spending.
  • Jan 11 to mid-May 2016, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.
AMEX Business Gold Rewards
- Earn 10k MR for each referal you make.
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by heraclitus
Further to the lounges thing, can any of you plat/biz plat vets shed any light on how many guests you can bring into Plaza Premium/Centurion/Delta Sky Clubs?
For the Plaza Premium, I think it's just you plus 1 extra guest - and perhaps young children.

For the Amex Centurion lounges it's for you and 2 extra guests.
heraclitus likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
For the Plaza Premium, I think it's just you plus 1 extra guest - and perhaps young children.
It's for yourself, spouse and two dependent children or one guest.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by viracocha
It's for yourself, spouse and two dependent children or one guest.
Thanks. So to be clear, for the Plaza Premium lounges it's:
Cardholder + spouse + 1 guest
Cardholder + spouse + 2 dependent children

Is this correct?

I can vouch for Amex Centurion lounges:
Cardholder + 2 guests
And can be on arrival or departure (I was 1 of the 2 guests at SFO, 3 different dates months apart).

Last edited by JJonahJ; Nov 15, 2017 at 10:01 am
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:05 am

This is the wording on their document:

"Lounge entry is complimentary for you, your spouse and two children under 21, or a travel companion"

I read it as:
- you, spouse and two children
- you and 1 guest
Old Nov 15, 2017, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by viracocha
This is the wording on their document:

"Lounge entry is complimentary for you, your spouse and two children under 21, or a travel companion"

I read it as:
- you, spouse and two children
- you and 1 guest
Thanks. I agree, that's they way I would read it too. I'll fix my earlier post so that it doesn't confuse others.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 8:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Thanks. I agree, that's they way I would read it too. I'll fix my earlier post so that it doesn't confuse others.
I always find it frustrating how confusing the language on the Canadian personal Amex Platinum lounge access rules are.

I can confirm for Plaza Premium it is Card Holder + Spouse + 2 Children for free

It used to be the same for Centuriun lounges, but they have downgraded the Amex Plat to just be Card Holder + 2 guests free

What about Priority Pass. What is it now? It was same as Plaza Premium, but I believe they downgraded that one too.

Also question, I can't seem to refer to other Membership Rewards cards? Where is the link, I can only refer others to Amex Platinum Personal now (which with its poorer earnings, and reduced benefits find it hard to do)
heraclitus likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 4:28 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by smilee
Also question, I can't seem to refer to other Membership Rewards cards? Where is the link, I can only refer others to Amex Platinum Personal now (which with its poorer earnings, and reduced benefits find it hard to do)
I don't have the personal platinum, so I can't say for sure, but with the biz platinum, when you open the referral page, you just click on "view our other cards" or the picture of the other cards at the bottom, this will open the referral page for those cards.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
New offer for Amex Platinum

Received an email with the following offer:

Reaching for your card could lead to 1000 bonus points! Use your eligible Amex card* ending in XXXXX for 5 days per week for 2 weeks to earn your bonus points. Use your card at least 5 days per week for 2 weeks between:
1. Nov 20 - 26
2. Nov 27 - Dec 3

* Minimum spend of $5 CAD required.
Given that I'm in China, I didn't think this would be possible (I use no forex fee cards when I travel), but I just had the idea of making a $5 pre-payment on my Bell bill every day. Even though I'm on automatic withdrawal, I've made pre-payments with Bell before to reach spending targets. Why not $5/day?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: AC SE
$10 credit on SPG card?

I just noticed that a $10 credit posted to my personnal SPG card on Nov 15th. The description is "AMEX BANK OF CANADA" and when I click on the transaction for more details, I see "BUD STAGE OFFER". Now, I am not complaining, Amex can post credits to my credit cards any time, but I am just curious what this is about. Has anybody else seen that?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by jasdou
I just noticed that a $10 credit posted to my personnal SPG card on Nov 15th. The description is "AMEX BANK OF CANADA" and when I click on the transaction for more details, I see "BUD STAGE OFFER". Now, I am not complaining, Amex can post credits to my credit cards any time, but I am just curious what this is about. Has anybody else seen that?
Noticed the same on my Amex Plat (Personal) and no idea what it's for!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Received a variation of that offer for my AMEX Gold:

Reaching for your card could lead to 500 bonus points!
Use your eligible American Express® Card ending in XXXXX every day for two weeks to earn your bonus
Use your Card* at least once every day between November 20th – December 3rd, 2017
Earn 500 bonus Membership Rewards points!
* Minimum spend of $5 CAD required
I have some travel bookings and other purchases that I can pretty easily spread out over 2 weeks to earn this without much trouble .
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Received an email with the following offer:
Reaching for your card could lead to 1000 bonus points! Use your eligible Amex card* ending in XXXXX for 5 days per week for 2 weeks to earn your bonus points. Use your card at least 5 days per week for 2 weeks between:
1. Nov 20 - 26
2. Nov 27 - Dec 3
* Minimum spend of $5 CAD required.
Originally Posted by Twickenham
Reaching for your card could lead to 500 bonus points!
Use your eligible American Express® Card ending in XXXXX every day for two weeks to earn your bonus
Use your Card* at least once every day between November 20th – December 3rd, 2017
Earn 500 bonus Membership Rewards points!
* Minimum spend of $5 CAD required
Are there any terms & conditions? Is it only open to those targetted?
Trying to decide if I should start making some $5 bill payments myself.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Seems targeted as they specify which card to use (I have 3 Cdn Amex cards).

Here are T&Cs:

1. This offer is only available to Basic American Express Cardmembers with the eligible American Express Card speci ed in the email communication. To qualify for the 1000 bonus Membership Rewards points offer, you must have at least one (1) single purchase of $5 CAD or more after taxes charged to your
eligible American Express Card on at least ve (5) separate days between 12:00:01am ET November 20th
– 11:59:59pm ET November 26th, 2017 and at least one (1) single purchase of $5 CAD or more after taxes charged to your eligible American Express Card on at least ve (5) separate days between 12:00:01am ET November 27th – 11:59:59pm ET December 3rd, 2017. Purchases made during the offer period of 12:00:01am ET November 20th, 2017 – 11:59:59pm ET December 3rd, 2017 must be posted to your account by 11:59:59pm ET December 17th, 2017. Purchases posted after this date will not count towards your qualifying purchases. If you are not sure if your purchase transactions have been posted, you can check by logging into your account on americanexpress.ca. Annual card membership fees, refunds, cash advances, interest fees, and any other fees are not considered qualifying purchases. The 1000 bonus
Membership Rewards points may take up to 8 weeks to be deposited to the account, after all qualifying purchases have been made. Account must be active and in good standing to receive the bonus points. This offer is non-transferrable. Limit one offer per Cardmember.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
Pros for the Business Platinum
  • highest referring bonus powers, 25K per approved referral to itself, Personal Plat or Business Gold
HTH,
JJJ
I think I know the answer to this, but you can't get a referral bonus from an SPG card to a Business Platinum, right? The only referral bonuses for SPG cards are to other SPG cards (e.g. business or personal). Any data points appreciated.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by banffflyr
I think I know the answer to this, but you can't get a referral bonus from an SPG card to a Business Platinum, right? The only referral bonuses for SPG cards are to other SPG cards (e.g. business or personal). Any data points appreciated.
Correct. Cannot refer across product families.

Referrals in a nutshell:
  • SPG to SPG (Personal and Business versions - both can refer to self or the other card product in this family)
  • MR to MR (Business Gold, Personal Platinum, Business Platinum - all can refer to self or other card products in this family)
  • MR to MR (Personal Gold to Personal Gold or Cobalt)
  • SimplyCash (Basic and Preferred versions - both can refer to self or the other card product in this family)
  • Airmiles (Basic and Platinum and Business Gold?? - all can refer to self or other card products in this family)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.