Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2016). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2017.

Jerry: Aug 2017 latest update, all-in-one summary

New as of Mar 23, 2017, minimum spend up to $3000 now
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $3000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

New as of March 23 2016.
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral

Updated as of July 21, 2017
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

July 18-Oct 18, 2017 - welcome offer increased 5K to 25K.
Sep 28, 2017 - Personal and Business SPG bonus drops from 10K to 5K per approved referral.
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
- if you applied recently for the SPG card at the 20K welcome level, try contacting Amex by Secured Message to ask if they can match the current 25K offer. Several successful datapoints have surfaced with manual addition of 5K at next statement. YMMV.

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)

This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers.

Referral Difference Between Cards:
Please note there is a maximum annual referral bonus you can make per card.

AMEX Platinum Rewards
- Earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards
- Earn 25K MR for each referral you make
AMEX Gold Rewards
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • mid-May 2016, increased from $500 to $1500 required spending.
  • Jan 11 to mid-May 2016, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.
AMEX Business Gold Rewards
- Earn 10k MR for each referal you make.
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:04 am
alc

From a different angle....

my thought on Personal Gold no longer FYF will be ---- finally, I don't have to answer the question "why do I want to pay for points when the AMEX Personal Gold card offer FYF?"

Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: *void
Here's another item of note. Only the FIRST supplementary card is FREE, the next (up to 8 more) additional supplementary cards are no longer FYF.

We have been forever signing up for additional points at the somewhat-targeted offer page here:
https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...CPID=100189590

The footnotes now are updated to say:
2. Maximum of 9 Supplementary Cards per account. Account must be in good standing. There is no annual fee for one Supplementary Gold Rewards Card. Additional Supplementary Cards have an annual fee of $50 each.
So it appears that they've finally stopped the leak on this side adventure too. I'm surprised it lasted this long, what with all the people bragging and boasting about how they could abuse this. Some people just don't know the difference between 'discreet' and 'discrete'.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Business Gold is still FYF. Meaning the game is getting harder for beginner churners who were milking the personal Gold. Advanced churners know how to generate 5K spend within 3 months as required for the Biz Gold's welcome bonus.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by CardMaster
Business Gold is still FYF. Meaning the game is getting harder for beginner churners who were milking the personal Gold. Advanced churners know how to generate 5K spend within 3 months as required for the Biz Gold's welcome bonus.
My car insurance renewal is due next month
Old Sep 14, 2017, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by CardMaster
The best part about this is that my landlord switched to PAYD to process rent payments, which means I now get to use Amex for rent, without additional fees! Add in some everyday groceries and other bills, I'm on track to easily cycle $5k/3mo.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
The best part about this is that my landlord switched to PAYD to process rent payments, which means I now get to use Amex for rent, without additional fees! Add in some everyday groceries and other bills, I'm on track to easily cycle $5k/3mo.
Is it in Montreal ? Please tell me who is your landlord, I'm gonna move and rent ine of their apartments 😁
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:26 pm

End of an era. Goodbye beginner churners
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Is it in Montreal ? Please tell me who is your landlord, I'm gonna move and rent ine of their apartments ��
Haha! It's a sure thing I'm not moving anywhere else (as long as he keeps rent reasonable). However, it might be hell of a commute for you since it's in YQM.

Back on topic, this Gold FYF change triggered my spouse to reapply, even though we cancelled her previous one in August. I figured worst case she'd be declined. But it already seems to have been worth the shot. She got the "pending" application message, so we let it sit for a few days to avoid drawing any unnecessary attention. I had used a modified referral link for the personal Gold and, like clockwork, 25,000 referral points posted today in my account, so I can tell she's approved. Here's to hoping for 30,000 more when we reach the minimum spend (or 6-8 weeks later). If not, it's still a great every day card to use, especially FYF.

Side note, my 1st ever Business Plat is about to cross 5k, once the pending charges post I will report if the 75,000 points do too. It was the case for my partner's 1st ever Business Platinum last month so my hopes are high. Stay tuned.
Update: A transaction just posted with 40,000+35,000 bonus points attached to it. Glad I won't have to chase Amex for my points. Again, this data point is for a 1st time cardholder Business Plat. And my partner received an email yesterday confirming her Gold card was approved.

Last edited by Hyacinthe; Sep 18, 2017 at 7:36 am
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
For those who are interested, Perkopolis still shows the $99 annual fee offer. I don't know the details on how to sign up for this though. Never played here before.
To provide further details on the Perkopolis offer, it does seem to be a good alternative to GCR now, with recent changes that happened:

Perkopolis offer, as of now: https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...erkopolis.html

The FYF (and $99 annual fee thereafter) is confirmed on the application disclosure when you click through to apply, so no concerns here.
Also, the Amex landing page shows the welcome bonus as "25,000 Membership Rewards® points when you charge $500 in purchases to your Card in your first 3 months of Cardmembership". No mention of the bonus not being awarded if you have had the card previously. If that's really the case, it could be a good offer to churn. So might prefer referring from a Business Plat and get 25k referral points to offset the $150 fee.

Last edited by mia; Sep 16, 2017 at 6:06 pm Reason: Clean link
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: *void
We beat the Sep 14th deadline, and squeezed in one more Personal Gold MR card, with FYF. This must be one of the slowest Gold deliveries that we've seen. The fastest for me was when I've applied on a Friday nite and had received the card by courier a couple of days later on Monday. But this recent one was applied on Sep 12 Tue with instant approval, and like clockwork I got the referring bonus 2 days later (this is the new normal now). However, the new card package did not arrive by courier till today Mon Sep 18, which relatively speaking is longer than we are used to! Anyways, I'm guessing there must have been a flood of new Gold card applications last week, all due to the expiring FYF promo.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:37 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of the new Cobalt card has been moved to the separate thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...lt-canada.html
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
We beat the Sep 14th deadline, and squeezed in one more Personal Gold MR card, with FYF. This must be one of the slowest Gold deliveries that we've seen. The fastest for me was when I've applied on a Friday nite and had received the card by courier a couple of days later on Monday. But this recent one was applied on Sep 12 Tue with instant approval, and like clockwork I got the referring bonus 2 days later (this is the new normal now). However, the new card package did not arrive by courier till today Mon Sep 18, which relatively speaking is longer than we are used to! Anyways, I'm guessing there must have been a flood of new Gold card applications last week, all due to the expiring FYF promo.
I applied on Sept. 13th, and it took 2 business days to get the approval email. But the referral points were there the day after. Still pretty fast!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: AC
Anyone tried the MR to BA transfer with the current 25% bonus promo? The ads on Amex website say extra 25% for transfers, but the actual transfer page still has 1000->1000 ratio. In previous promos the transfer page explicitly said 1000->1250, so I'm somewhat confused.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by TelFunku
Anyone tried the MR to BA transfer with the current 25% bonus promo? The ads on Amex website say extra 25% for transfers, but the actual transfer page still has 1000->1000 ratio. In previous promos the transfer page explicitly said 1000->1250, so I'm somewhat confused.
I've read elsewhere that it'll work, despite the description not yet updated

I won't be too worried
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TelFunku
I did on the first day of the promotion with the same language. Transferred 40,000MR and I had 50,000 Avios in my BA account two days later. Was impressed with the transfer time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.