Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2016). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2017.

Jerry: Aug 2017 latest update, all-in-one summary

New as of Mar 23, 2017, minimum spend up to $3000 now
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $3000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

New as of March 23 2016.
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral

Updated as of July 21, 2017
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

July 18-Oct 18, 2017 - welcome offer increased 5K to 25K.
Sep 28, 2017 - Personal and Business SPG bonus drops from 10K to 5K per approved referral.
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
- if you applied recently for the SPG card at the 20K welcome level, try contacting Amex by Secured Message to ask if they can match the current 25K offer. Several successful datapoints have surfaced with manual addition of 5K at next statement. YMMV.

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)

This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers.

Referral Difference Between Cards:
Please note there is a maximum annual referral bonus you can make per card.

AMEX Platinum Rewards
- Earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards
- Earn 25K MR for each referral you make
AMEX Gold Rewards
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • mid-May 2016, increased from $500 to $1500 required spending.
  • Jan 11 to mid-May 2016, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.
AMEX Business Gold Rewards
- Earn 10k MR for each referal you make.
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Do the bonus points for an additional card user also take 1-3 months to point, similar to the welcome bonus? Or once a purchase is made with the additional card or something like that?
IME 1-3 weeks.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan, KLM Flying Blue, Lifemiles
Been churning AMEX Gold and AMEX Business Gold on and off for the past years. The one question I had is whether it is possible to merge the points in two accounts. I.e. my wife has some points and I have some points. Is it possible to merge both?
Old May 31, 2017, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by pych
Been churning AMEX Gold and AMEX Business Gold on and off for the past years. The one question I had is whether it is possible to merge the points in two accounts. I.e. my wife has some points and I have some points. Is it possible to merge both?
No

but you can transfer out to the same Aeroplan account, for example
Old May 31, 2017, 3:30 pm

Problem with Amex Online Account - Cancelled Card - HELP

Wondering if some of you that have multiple Amex cards can help with this.

I had 2 Amex cards - Amex Gold Personal and Amex Gold Biz. I've held the Personal for a year, so my MR account was attached to that as a 'primary' when I applied for a Biz. Everytime I went to check my MR balance in my online account, I had to go to my Personal account to see the MR balance.

I cancelled my Personal account today, and even though I can technically still see my reward points in my online account, I cannot see them from my Biz card page, because it tells me to navigate to my cancelled card to see my points. So now if I want to see my points, I need to go to the rewards section of the website. Not a biggie, but just an extra step.

But, it has me concerned that my 'main' MR profile is still linked to the cancelled card. I wanted to call in to ask about it, but I can't even find out what my friggen MR number is! I don't have a 'profile' page that shows it! The only options online are: My Redemptions|My Points|Points Reinstatement|Shopping - but no "Profile" page or a page that lists my MR number. Can anyone tell me where my MR number is listed to I have a frame of reference for my query? I have 40,000 bonsu points coming my way and I don't want any eff-ups with this. All of my statements were e-statements, so I can't even look at old statements for the personal gold card, and the number is not listed on my Biz gold card, because that's not the 'primary' card for the MR account. HELP! Thanks!

Last edited by pokee; May 31, 2017 at 3:37 pm
Old May 31, 2017, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by alc
apologies if already mentioned in the past. I went into one of those Shoppers with Canada Posts in it. I know it will show up as "Shopper Drug Mart" from past experience and hence I used my Personal Gold Rewards card. But I didn't get the 2X on it, so, these terminal was program with a different category than the one from the beauty or main cashier.

Hope this help someone here.
Interesting...I'm convinced that I've always received 2x at the Canada Post outlet (same with Beauty and Pharmacy). Perhaps it's new? I wonder what would happen if you called in to inquire about the 2x points not going through?
Old May 31, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by pokee
Wondering if some of you that have multiple Amex cards can help with this.

I had 2 Amex cards - Amex Gold Personal and Amex Gold Biz. I've held the Personal for a year, so my MR account was attached to that as a 'primary' when I applied for a Biz. Everytime I went to check my MR balance in my online account, I had to go to my Personal account to see the MR balance.

I cancelled my Personal account today, and even though I can technically still see my reward points in my online account, I cannot see them from my Biz card page, because it tells me to navigate to my cancelled card to see my points. So now if I want to see my points, I need to go to the rewards section of the website. Not a biggie, but just an extra step.

But, it has me concerned that my 'main' MR profile is still linked to the cancelled card. I wanted to call in to ask about it, but I can't even find out what my friggen MR number is! I don't have a 'profile' page that shows it! The only options online are: My Redemptions|My Points|Points Reinstatement|Shopping - but no "Profile" page or a page that lists my MR number. Can anyone tell me where my MR number is listed to I have a frame of reference for my query? I have 40,000 bonsu points coming my way and I don't want any eff-ups with this. All of my statements were e-statements, so I can't even look at old statements for the personal gold card, and the number is not listed on my Biz gold card, because that's not the 'primary' card for the MR account. HELP! Thanks!
What do you mean by e-statements? Don't you mean PDF statements? Just open one of your cancelled Gold card's PDF statements, and in the 3rd or 4th page where it shows you your MR earning activity, you'll see your MR account number.

BTW, are you saying you had set up 2 different Amex online profiles, one for each card? If so, you can unlink the Biz Gold from it's current profile, and then register it to now appear at your other profile, the one that you use to review your cancelled Gold's account. This won't help with seeing the MR points in your Biz Gold's account summary page, but just saying it can be done, so you don't have to login to two different online profiles.
Old May 31, 2017, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
What do you mean by e-statements? Don't you mean PDF statements? Just open one of your cancelled Gold card's PDF statements, and in the 3rd or 4th page where it shows you your MR earning activity, you'll see your MR account number.

BTW, are you saying you had set up 2 different Amex online profiles, one for each card? If so, you can unlink the Biz Gold from it's current profile, and then register it to now appear at your other profile, the one that you use to review your cancelled Gold's account. This won't help with seeing the MR points in your Biz Gold's account summary page, but just saying it can be done, so you don't have to login to two different online profiles.
Yeah, PDF statements. When I click 'View Statements' - this message appears (in Red):

We're sorry.....
The American Express Card account you selected has been cancelled.

No - one profile - 2 cards. My Biz card is okay in the profile, but because it was 'secondary' I cannot see my MR points from there.

Is there any way I can find my MR number in my online account, since I can no longer see my Personal Gold statements?!
Old May 31, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by pokee
Yeah, PDF statements. When I click 'View Statements' - this message appears (in Red):

We're sorry.....
The American Express Card account you selected has been cancelled.

No - one profile - 2 cards. My Biz card is okay in the profile, but because it was 'secondary' I cannot see my MR points from there.

Is there any way I can find my MR number in my online account, since I can no longer see my Personal Gold statements?!
Ahh, Ok. Well, in my experience, EVENTUALLY you will see your Biz Gold STOP saying to refer to the other primary account, and it will have the MR account attached to it, plus you'll start to see the MR balance on the account summary page itself.

I don't know of any other way to find the MR account number, short of asking an Amex rep to look it up for you. I save all my PDF statements to my PC. Suggest you do the same going forward, as once you've cancelled, you won't have access to the account anymore. Ok, it'd be a stupid idea, but you COULD ask Amex to uncancel your Gold card, just so you can get access to the statements again, and then have them cancel it after you've retrieved them. I wouldn't bother, unless you really want to save PDF versions of the past statements (and while there, you can find your MR account number).
Old May 31, 2017, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Ahh, Ok. Well, in my experience, EVENTUALLY you will see your Biz Gold STOP saying to refer to the other primary account, and it will have the MR account attached to it, plus you'll start to see the MR balance on the account summary page itself.

I don't know of any other way to find the MR account number, short of asking an Amex rep to look it up for you. I save all my PDF statements to my PC. Suggest you do the same going forward, as once you've cancelled, you won't have access to the account anymore. Ok, it'd be a stupid idea, but you COULD ask Amex to uncancel your Gold card, just so you can get access to the statements again, and then have them cancel it after you've retrieved them. I wouldn't bother, unless you really want to save PDF versions of the past statements (and while there, you can find your MR account number).
Yeah, that was bad prep on my part (not saving the statements). I was just eager to cancel the Gold card before the AF was charged. I'm calling anyway, so I'll just ask for the MR# then. I just want to make sure the posting of my 40K bonus doesn't get muffed up because of the status of my online account (like if the cancelled Gold card is going to affect points posting).

Very frustrating to not have your rewards number located in your online profile, though!!!!

Thanks for your help!
Old May 31, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: AP, AS, BAEC, HH, SPG, FPC, PC
Originally Posted by jerryhung
No

but you can transfer out to the same Aeroplan account, for example
Have you had any success transferring to the same Avios (BA) account? My wife and I both have our own MR accts but would like to transfer our MRs to my Avios acct.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Si_Ting_ca
Have you had any success transferring to the same Avios (BA) account? My wife and I both have our own MR accts but would like to transfer our MRs to my Avios acct.
Can't do that (name check) but just join your and your wife'a account on BA into a "family" one and all will be well.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:40 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Read about BAEC Household Accounts here:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-ca...ehold-accounts
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
In the US, Hilton will move their program from Visa (with Citi) to American Express, in January 2018.

Flyertalk thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...dit-cards.html
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by jerry305
In the US, Hilton will move their program from Visa (with Citi) to American Express, in January 2018.

Flyertalk thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...dit-cards.html
I'd love a Canadian Hilton card but not sure that makes it more likely...
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jerry305
Hilton had USA cards issued by both American Express and Citi. This change eliminates Citi, but it's not really a move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.