Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2016). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2017.

Jerry: Aug 2017 latest update, all-in-one summary

New as of Mar 23, 2017, minimum spend up to $3000 now
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $3000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

New as of March 23 2016.
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral

Updated as of July 21, 2017
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

July 18-Oct 18, 2017 - welcome offer increased 5K to 25K.
Sep 28, 2017 - Personal and Business SPG bonus drops from 10K to 5K per approved referral.
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
- if you applied recently for the SPG card at the 20K welcome level, try contacting Amex by Secured Message to ask if they can match the current 25K offer. Several successful datapoints have surfaced with manual addition of 5K at next statement. YMMV.

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)

This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers.

Referral Difference Between Cards:
Please note there is a maximum annual referral bonus you can make per card.

AMEX Platinum Rewards
- Earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards
- Earn 25K MR for each referral you make
AMEX Gold Rewards
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • mid-May 2016, increased from $500 to $1500 required spending.
  • Jan 11 to mid-May 2016, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.
AMEX Business Gold Rewards
- Earn 10k MR for each referal you make.
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:17 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
t+c on spg amex states clearly: "For current or former Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express Cardmembers, we may approve your application, but you will not be eligible for the welcome bonus."

clearly the thread indicates otherwise. so if i cancel now when should i re apply? 6 months+1day?

also someone please explain to me self referral. i login to spg amex, send a referral to myself on the spg, then sign up in 6 months+1day? or what? or do i use spg amex login to refer me to a different card? i do not get this.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by cur
t+c on spg amex states clearly: "For current or former Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express Cardmembers, we may approve your application, but you will not be eligible for the welcome bonus."

clearly the thread indicates otherwise. so if i cancel now when should i re apply? 6 months+1day?

also someone please explain to me self referral. i login to spg amex, send a referral to myself on the spg, then sign up in 6 months+1day? or what? or do i use spg amex login to refer me to a different card? i do not get this.
Self-referral would also mean you need an ACTIVE SPG to refer yourself to another SPG (like Personal SPG -> Business SPG)

SPG can only refer to SPG

so if you don't have one, go via GCR or someone you know
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by cur

Do NOT cancel yet. No need to go to GCR or look for a "friend". If you have a spouse or family member, sure, use their referral. Otherwise. do the self-referral so that you get 10K for your current card, on top of the new card's 20K welcome bonus.

Just go to your Refer A Friend page (I'm guessing you have the Personal SPG) and then open the application page for this card, but then look for the icon on the right or bottom left to apply for the Business SPG. Apply as a sole proprietor if you don't a legitimate business. The Business SPG is $150 and 20K welcome points after $1500 spending. Just ask margarita girl, she just went through the same routine last month.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by agjil
Does anyone have experience with adding supplementary cards for the business plat card?
I currently have the business plat card, and I need to add 2 supplementary cards to my account.
I saw a link in my AmEx online account about an offer where one can apply for supplementary cards for the personal plat card and receive 5K points for each approved supplementary card.
However, the link is only for the personal plat card, which I also have, and I can't seem to find any landing page regarding supplementary card offers for the business plat card.
Does anyone know how I should apply for business plat supplementary cards if I want to get some bonus points?
Or does such an offer simply not exist for the business plat card?
I've seen bonus points for supplementary cards for Personal Gold (free and FYF) and Personal Plat (not free). Haven't seen the same for Business Gold nor Business Plat.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by cur

So your concern is....will you get the welcome points if you self-refer,because when you get the "new" SPG card,you'll have 2 cards and won't be eligible as per their t&c ?

Don't worry,I, and many here,have done just this...with no problem getting the welcome points from the self-referred card.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
New datapoint: last had AMEX Gold in 2015, cancelled it over a year ago

Just used a family member's AMEX biz Plat referral to refer myself to the card two weeks ago, got the new card in the mail couple days ago,

Family member said he didnt see any referral points. Now, I'm worried maybe I won't get the 25k either. I guess they are starting to clamp down in Canada too?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by nli007
New datapoint: last had AMEX Gold in 2015, cancelled it over a year ago

Just used a family member's AMEX biz Plat referral to refer myself to the card two weeks ago, got the new card in the mail couple days ago,

Family member said he didnt see any referral points. Now, I'm worried maybe I won't get the 25k either. I guess they are starting to clamp down in Canada too?
Don't panic. Your family member's missing referral points might be due to a shifting wind in the Amex sails. From Dec to Feb many people reported missing/delayed 15K referring points into their source Personal Platinum card. But eventually datapoints started to come in that they were finally posted weeks/months later, with a description of "Remediation".

This may be happening now with the Biz Plat referrals, as a few people on RFD have just this past week reported about delays with the 25K referring points, though the points did appear a few days later (when normally they would post the day after confirmed approvals). We won't know till more datapoints come in to confirm or refute this point.

For your churned Personal Gold, just stay calm and don't ask Amex to look into your past history file. Hopefully the 25K will post at the $1500 spend mark, or within a few weeks after it, automatically without extra effort on your nor Amex's part.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:47 am

I am 0/4 on immediate decisions on amex refs, all recent - 1 self ref, 3 other. Included refs to current amex cardholder and never amex cardholder.

I self reffed biz plat to biz gold. Applied Friday, called Saturday. Agent said there was no issue with the application and it was approved. Got the card on Tuesday from FedEx. I would wait it out.

Originally Posted by coconutjay
Just tried to self refer from Amex Bus Plat to Bus Gold and got the message that they cannot approve immediately and to wait for 10 business days, does anyone know if this means I'm out of luck for the 40K bonus after the spend? Or is this always the case when you try to get 2 business cards?

Wondering if I should call them to try to expedite the approval, do you guys think this is a good idea or to let them get back to me?

Thank you,
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: AP, AS, BAEC, HH, SPG, FPC, PC
Bonus MR posting question

I've read somewhere here not to bother Amex when a signup bonus does not automatically post to one's account after hitting the spending threshold, especially if one's MR account is combined with an existing card.

How long should one wait?

My situation is that I have a personal Gold Amex card. Collected my signup bonus in late 2016 and recently got myself the Business Gold card. I hit the spending limit within the first 10 days of activating the card but still have not seen the signup bonus from the Business Gold card post to my MR account. It's been a month since I've hit the threshold and one billing cycle has already passed.

Should I contact them now?

I want to cancel my personal Gold Amex card - will this affect my combined MR account? Will it expedite or delay my Business Gold card signup bonus even more?

TIA

ST_ca
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by 604flyer
I am 0/4 on immediate decisions on amex refs, all recent - 1 self ref, 3 other. Included refs to current amex cardholder and never amex cardholder.

I self reffed biz plat to biz gold. Applied Friday, called Saturday. Agent said there was no issue with the application and it was approved. Got the card on Tuesday from FedEx. I would wait it out.
No issues with getting your 25K Biz Plat referral points? This was recently, within a week ago?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:48 pm

To call, or not to call. Depends if it's the Business vs Personal card.

Originally Posted by Si_Ting_ca
I've read somewhere here not to bother Amex when a signup bonus does not automatically post to one's account after hitting the spending threshold, especially if one's MR account is combined with an existing card.

How long should one wait?

My situation is that I have a personal Gold Amex card. Collected my signup bonus in late 2016 and recently got myself the Business Gold card. I hit the spending limit within the first 10 days of activating the card but still have not seen the signup bonus from the Business Gold card post to my MR account. It's been a month since I've hit the threshold and one billing cycle has already passed.

Should I contact them now?

I want to cancel my personal Gold Amex card - will this affect my combined MR account? Will it expedite or delay my Business Gold card signup bonus even more?

TIA

ST_ca
Business Gold:
There are no one-welcome notes on the Business card products, so you can contact Amex now if you'd like, to ask where the missing welcome points are. They will likely just tell you to wait 8-10 weeks and the points will eventually post. The advantage of calling them, with a very pouty attitude, is that you might also get some sympathy points while you wait for the 40K welcome points to post.

Personal Gold:
Personal cards DO have the one-welcome notes. Don't call Amex. Preacher7 reported this a year ago. He has an expansive churn team, and noticed that if you do call to ask about the missing points you run the risk of Amex "ruining" your welcome bonus if it's a personal Gold's churn (repeat signup). But if you stay patiently quiet, waiting without contacting them, 6-10 weeks later you may find that the points will post automatically. Even if you don't see the welcome bonus by the 10th week I would just keep waiting a bit more and hope for the best, because once you discuss with Amex there is no recourse if they notice they see you've opened the card once before (within 24 months?). After say 12-14 weeks, it might be a lost cause, so you can just call and hope for the best. Some said they were told in whispering tones, something about the one-welcome rule only being applicable in a 24 months period, and not life-time.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Don't panic. Your family member's missing referral points might be due to a shifting wind in the Amex sails. From Dec to Feb many people reported missing/delayed 15K referring points into their source Personal Platinum card. But eventually datapoints started to come in that they were finally posted weeks/months later, with a description of "Remediation".

This may be happening now with the Biz Plat referrals, as a few people on RFD have just this past week reported about delays with the 25K referring points, though the points did appear a few days later (when normally they would post the day after confirmed approvals). We won't know till more datapoints come in to confirm or refute this point.

For your churned Personal Gold, just stay calm and don't ask Amex to look into your past history file. Hopefully the 25K will post at the $1500 spend mark, or within a few weeks after it, automatically without extra effort on your nor Amex's part.
Once again, sage advice from the master. Don't call. Just wait. As recently as 2 weeks ago, one member of our churn team just got her 4th 25K bonus on her new Gold card. It'll come. Just be patient, and don't call.

How long to wait before calling in, if you truly don't get your bonus? In our rather extensive experience, do wait beyond the 12 weeks, as JJJ said above. Since you should likely keep the card open for 6 months anyway, I would wait till the 16 week mark. If no bonus, you could call or e-mail. That will give about a month for them to post on your next statement, and then you could go ahead and cancel just after the 6 month mark. Again, we've never missed a bonus yet, and we've gone through a lot of cards. Several, certainly, we've had to wait till the 12 week mark. Not to worry.

Last edited by Preacher7; Apr 24, 2017 at 4:54 pm
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:37 pm

Correct.

Referral application date was late on Apr 15. Ref got email to "add more info to your application" (new cardholder - credit bureau info) on Apr 17. Points posted Apr. 21 as "bonus points" no capitalization. Card + supplementary card arrived today via FedEx.

The 5k gold supplementary card bonus did not post on activation, so will wait to see...

No issues with getting your 25K Biz Plat referral points? This was recently, within a week ago?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Business Gold:
There are no one-welcome notes on the Business card products, so you can contact Amex now if you'd like, to ask where the missing welcome points are. They will likely just tell you to wait 8-10 weeks and the points will eventually post. The advantage of calling them, with a very pouty attitude, is that you might also get some sympathy points while you wait for the 40K welcome points to post.
Business Platinum referral email contains the following text (my bolding):
To qualify for a Welcome Bonus of 75,000 points you must have at least $5,000 in net purchases posted to your account in your first 3 months of Card membership. Account must be in good standing. This offer is not applicable to holders of an existing American Express Small Business Card product. When we stop offering the Welcome Bonus, we reserve the right to accept applications but you will not be eligible for the Welcome Bonus.
In this particular case, the recipient is going to cancel their Business Gold supplementary card, and get their own Business Platinum primary card. Would you interpret this as saying that they will not get the bonus because they were previously holding the supplementary card?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:53 am

Hello everyone,

Just went through the whole post but couldn't see this question being asked before.

If I refer my spouse for an SPG card, can we pool the welcome points into one SPG account, or they must be separate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.