Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of maximizing rewards from Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here. Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting: Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

This thread is a continuation of: Churning Amex in Canada (2016). All the listed offers below are still valid as of January 2017.

Jerry: Aug 2017 latest update, all-in-one summary

New as of Mar 23, 2017, minimum spend up to $3000 now
AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $3000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

New as of March 23 2016.
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 75K MR (via referral) after $5000 spending in 3 months vs. 40K non-referral

Updated as of July 21, 2017
AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $1500 spending + $50/$60 cashback from GCR. New as of Jan 15, 2017, on a referred signup: and an additional 5,000 Membership Rewards points for one approved Supplementary Card added to your account at time of online application. That’s a total of 30,000 Membership Rewards points.
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR

AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, 2000 Air Miles after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

July 18-Oct 18, 2017 - welcome offer increased 5K to 25K.
Sep 28, 2017 - Personal and Business SPG bonus drops from 10K to 5K per approved referral.
AMEX SPG - $120/year, 25K SPG after $1500 spending + $30 GCR cashback
- if you applied recently for the SPG card at the 20K welcome level, try contacting Amex by Secured Message to ask if they can match the current 25K offer. Several successful datapoints have surfaced with manual addition of 5K at next statement. YMMV.

New as of July 2016
AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). The 50K/51K, extra 10K promo expired on April 01, 2016, but started up again July - Sep 30th, 2016.

New card as of Sep 25 2017
AMEX Cobalt CREDIT card - $10/month ($120 annually)
Apply through GCR for $50 Rebate https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/...s/Amex-Cobalt/
  • Earn 2,500 Membership Tiered Rewards points for each month where you spend $500 (up to 30,000/year).
  • Limited Time Offer: Apply by Jan 30, 2018 and you can earn a Welcome Bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $3K in 3 months.
  • See discussion thread for more details: 2017 American Express Cobalt (Canada)

This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers.

Referral Difference Between Cards:
Please note there is a maximum annual referral bonus you can make per card.

AMEX Platinum Rewards
- Earn 15K MR for each referral you make
(Note: from Mar 23 - Jun 29 the bonuses were 75K welcome and 25K referral points)
AMEX Business Platinum Rewards
- Earn 25K MR for each referral you make
AMEX Gold Rewards
  • July 11, 2017, Amex Gold MR will no longer earn referral points.
  • July 21, 2017, no other Amex MR card can refer to Gold MR
  • mid-May 2016, increased from $500 to $1500 required spending.
  • Jan 11 to mid-May 2016, the Gold card earned 0 referral points.
AMEX Business Gold Rewards
- Earn 10k MR for each referal you make.
Print Wikipost

American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
I agree but let me think of next steps. Spent an hour going round and round denying and blaming one another. Not sure if additional calls would really help and to be honest it was a big test of patience.
Is it Mrs GHT doing the talking, or yourself? In our household, Mrs JJJ has no patience for these types of things and is very curt and blunt, while I'm in the background chewing my nails and slamming my head against the wall as I listen to the conversation.

Mrs GHT got dealt with a bad hand (rep), which is unfortunate. I can echo that Amex is the standout FI amonst all the competition here in Canada. Hope she will give it another try and see it through to a better result. Keep us posted.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
Is it Mrs GHT doing the talking, or yourself? In our household, Mrs JJJ has no patience for these types of things and is very curt and blunt, while I'm in the background chewing my nails and slamming my head against the wall as I listen to the conversation.

Mrs GHT got dealt with a bad hand (rep), which is unfortunate. I can echo that Amex is the standout FI amonst all the competition here in Canada. Hope she will give it another try and see it through to a better result. Keep us posted.
either she did the talking or we use the speaker phone function.

gotta give mrs ght credit - she did exercise more patience than me (just listening, grumbling to myself in the background), however amex was unwilling to listen to her explanation, instead repeatedly clarified her approval date. Then they kept on blaming Mrs GHT for now following up and Canada Post for the screw up

The only compromise they were willing to give was to do another 3 mth $5K challenge, which we decline

That hour felt like the Lambchop song (see link below)
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Now I have that song stuck in my head - Thanks alot
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
it's so YMMV. my last biz gold experience was totally different....same outcome (i.e. got my points), but still. nice to hear it's still working for you. i'm going to chill for a bit. on amex anyways. going to test my luck on a couple others (e.g. CIBC infinite privilege).
Sorry for going slightly OT, but what's the point of churning CIBC Visa Infinite Privilege when it's 50K for $399 vs. Amex Biz Gold 40K (plus referral if selfing) for $0? What am I missing here with respect to CIBC VIP?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 12:54 pm

Do both. It's not necessarily one or the other unless denied the bonus from amex already

It also buys actual status benefits: priority check-in, priority boarding, free checked bag
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
I did a search and didn't see this question answered anywhere... Can MR points from a Canadian Amex card be pooled in the same MR account as a US Amex card?

My employer might be transferring me to Canada at some point in the next couple of years. If so, I would use the Global Transfer program to open an Amex account there (apparently you can do this without an SIN or even without legal status in Canada, as long as you have a Canadian address). It would be helpful to have cards in both USD and CAD. If I could combine MR points, that's icing on the cake. Anyone done this successfully?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:19 pm

Different pools, as the partners between Canada and the US differ. You are supposed to be able to transfer between countries once a year based on the exchange rate at the time though...
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:54 pm

i contemplated on doing the opposite before but just a warning you might not get the sign up bonus

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
I did a search and didn't see this question answered anywhere... Can MR points from a Canadian Amex card be pooled in the same MR account as a US Amex card?

My employer might be transferring me to Canada at some point in the next couple of years. If so, I would use the Global Transfer program to open an Amex account there (apparently you can do this without an SIN or even without legal status in Canada, as long as you have a Canadian address). It would be helpful to have cards in both USD and CAD. If I could combine MR points, that's icing on the cake. Anyone done this successfully?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:58 pm

Don't believe so
BUT...you CAN transfer Aeroplan to anyone's account if you want to pool in AP instead
For SPG and BA Avios I think they need to match names between AMEX and FFP names
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Amex MR can be transferred between countries, once a year, at the prevailing currency exchange rate. I haven't done it yet, but will be trying it later this year.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jerryhung
Don't believe so
BUT...you CAN transfer Aeroplan to anyone's account if you want to pool in AP instead
​​​​​​I know this is the Amex CA thread, but since the earlier poster was referring to Amex US as well, thought I should clarify that this doesn't work for Amex US.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Good to know, thanks. I currently have a US Amex Platinum charge card and a Delta Gold credit card. If I open a Canadian Amex, I'll probably go with the Gold charge if I am indeed eligible for the sign up bonus. If not, I might just do the Aeroplan card as we don't have that Amex card available here in the states.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: *void
Good to know, thanks. I currently have a US Amex Platinum charge card and a Delta Gold credit card. If I open a Canadian Amex, I'll probably go with the Gold charge if I am indeed eligible for the sign up bonus. If not, I might just do the Aeroplan card as we don't have that Amex card available here in the states.
If you mean the Amex Aeroplan Plus charge cards, they aren't very attractive right now. The AeroPlus Gold is NOT FYF at $150/yr, and only offers 15K welcome points. The AeroPlat card is never FYF, at $499/yr and currently offers 40K welcome points, but every few months Amex bumps it up to 50K. The referred bonus for both the Gold and Plat cards are just a measley 1K each, at 16K and 41K (or 51K when promo'd higher).

I seldom see people opening the AeroPlat anymore, now that the Biz Plat MR and Plat MR cards have much higher signup bonuses and benefits, including better lounge access. The AeroPlat is suited better for people who don't have status but fly AC a lot and within Canada for free access to the Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges.

If you're going to chase after Aeroplans, then aside from Amex cards, there's the TD Aeroplan Visa (15K/FYF) and CIBC Aeroplan Visa (15K/FYF via in-branch) cards. But, I won't go into details about them here at this thread. They have their own discussion home, here:
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:23 pm

Time to cancel my Plat before $699 renewal. Now $0 balance

Is there an AMEX phone line cancellation option? I recall reading it somewhere (option 7? or 9?) and tried calling but couldn't find it
Figure that'd be the safest way to cancel (automated) , over call-in, then over online message, in case of 2nd $200 credit crawl-back
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:57 pm

One per lifetime policies in the US are unrelated to the ones in Canada. They're different programs for all intents and purposes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.