Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 2, 2017, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Regarding Registry, once I put funds into the registry, is there anyway to cash them out? (ie. buy GCs)? Is there any known method to get a reimbursement for the $200 credit? I utilized the Amazon GC trick via MPX last year, but looking for some other method for this years credit.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:21 pm

How to get $200 credit

Just realized after purchasing Amazon Gift cards thru MPX that this is not allowed anymore.

What's an option where I can get the $200 credit for 2017. I need to do this soon as my AF is approaching.

Does United airline allow gift cards? Any other options.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by monu58
Just realized after purchasing Amazon Gift cards thru MPX that this is not allowed anymore.

What's an option where I can get the $200 credit for 2017. I need to do this soon as my AF is approaching.

Does United airline allow gift cards? Any other options.
Have a look at the wiki post at the top of this thread.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Lol...
Thanks, completely missed that
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Do the funds in the Travelbank ever expire?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Registries will expire after 5 years of inactivity. After that time, the remaining amount will be issued in the form of an electronic travel certificate. The travel certificate is valid for one year from the date when it is originally issued to the account owner.
Read more here:

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...tRegistry.aspx
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:41 pm
Suspended

Thanks,

Damn they make you work to get the $100 credit!
dram5640 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Doesn't really say much about how to utilize the funds in the "TravelBank". Can they only be used towards an United flight? Any other way to "liquidate" get cash or close to cash equivalent for the funds in the TravelBank?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: NH, JL, SQ
Originally Posted by nathanmock
Doesn't really say much about how to utilize the funds in the "TravelBank". Can they only be used towards an United flight? Any other way to "liquidate" get cash or close to cash equivalent for the funds in the TravelBank?
afaik no
Old Jan 2, 2017, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by nathanmock
See this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27681136-post1604.html

Looks like you (*) have to travel.

(*) or someone else
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: BA
Should I put another $100 (PRG) on my gift registry now? Or wait to see if something better pops up (with United or on another airline) this year? The risk of course is that they could close the gift registry loophole like they did with MPX.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wiivile
Should I put another $100 (PRG) on my gift registry now? Or wait to see if something better pops up (with United or on another airline) this year? The risk of course is that they could close the gift registry loophole like they did with MPX.
Only you can answer that. I personally will have no problems using the gift registry credit on UA over the course of the next year. Not sure how something better could pop up.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Anyone having trouble attempting to search for name in the gift registry? My name will not pull up ... last name or first/last name "Your search found 0 results." (ps. I have an unusual last name) I've put money past 3 years, and my profile shows I have a registry built along with history of deposits. I've also sent myself a link via the announcement, but that link just goes back to the name search box. Lastly, gift registry is turned ON.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miasmal
Anyone having trouble attempting to search for name in the gift registry? My name will not pull up ... last name or first/last name. (ps. I have an unusual last name) I've put money past 3 years, and my profile shows I have a registry built along with the history of money being deposited. I've also sent myself a link via the announcement, but that link just goes back to the name search box. Lastly, gift registry is turned ON.
I had the same exact problems yesterday (unusual name, existing registry, sent link that didn't work). But I just tried it again with the emailed link, and the search, and now (a day later) the search worked.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:36 am
Suspended

How do you fund your gift registry?

When I log on at UA.com, my gift registry goal from last year is still there.

When I click on it, these are the only options:

Send Gift Registry Announcements
Send e-mails to family and friends to let them know about your gift registry.

View Sent Announcements
See a list of announcements sent and the responses received.

Make Flight Reservations with My TravelBank Funds
Begin the flight search process and then complete your purchase using the funds in your TravelBank.

Gift Registry Terms and Conditions
Read the complete rules of the united.com Gift Registry program.

Turn Gift Registry On/Off (Gift Registry Currently On)
Make your gift registry accessible or inaccessible to family and friends.

No way to fund the registry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.