Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: Previously UA 1K, Delta Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Avis First, AA Gold
Originally Posted by oreozp
Has anyone tried getting reimbursement for United mile reinstatement fees (either direct reinstatement or the $100 before taking a flight or signing up for a UA credit card)? I searched this thread for "reinstate" but found zero results.
I tried this and didn't get a credit. Called Amex and they said it wouldn't qualify.

So... pet fee it is?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
Did they ask you why you were cancelling, and did you tell them why?
Yep. I told them why. And I've had this card for 19 years. I also told them they keep getting rid of good benefits and adding crappier ones while raising the prices.
STS-134, SuperKirby and endeavor8 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Following my strike-out on a cancellation fee, just paid a change fee on a UA award ticket on 3/15 and got reimbursed automatically on 3/17, so that benefit turned out to be useful for something.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:34 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
If I purchase the lounge passes via the United App will the $100 AMEX Gold reimbursement still be triggered or do I need to do this in person? I have selected UA as my travel partner on the AMEX website.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Dad to GO
If I purchase the lounge passes via the United App will the $100 AMEX Gold reimbursement still be triggered or do I need to do this in person? I have selected UA as my travel partner on the AMEX website.
If it's charged to your AMEX, it should trigger the credit.

$59 for a United Club pass is a terrible deal.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Is a United wifi subscription a reimbursable expense? My per flight wifi charges are always reimbursed, but I am not sure whether subscriptions are billed by United or by the wifi provider.

ANSWERING My own question, by searching the forum, yes, wifi subscriptions are reimbursed.

Last edited by TheCount2; Mar 28, 2019 at 9:06 am
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:02 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by Kacee
If it's charged to your AMEX, it should trigger the credit.

$59 for a United Club pass is a terrible deal.
I know... but after this flight I will have no other flights on UA... since we have a 4 hour layover I figured I might as well get something for this $100 credit I need to use.
Kacee and Traveler Dave like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamon | UA Plat | SPG/MB Lifetime Plat | HH Diamond
Received an Airline Fee Reimbursement for UA passenger ticket

Perhaps this is a fluke, but I just charged a UA air ticket LAXSFO through my travel agent onto my AX Platinum Personal card on March 8 for $48.30 and on March 11, got credited as "AX Airline Fee Reimbursement". On the AX website, the detail shows "Document Type: PASSENGER TICKET"

Anyone else have this happen?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by antman8
Perhaps this is a fluke, but I just charged a UA air ticket LAXSFO through my travel agent onto my AX Platinum Personal card on March 8 for $48.30 and on March 11, got credited as "AX Airline Fee Reimbursement". On the AX website, the detail shows "Document Type: PASSENGER TICKET"

Anyone else have this happen?
Yes. Happens occasionally for small dollar value tickets (generally under $200 or so.)
gotravelant and 808traveler like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
Changed to UA because needed to change award tix and knew they would charge $75 per ticket. But kind UA agent + begging = no change fees (!!). So now I have $100 to use. Maybe will try to change airlines again.

DP: One way $118 ticket did not trigger credit, alas (should have gone basic economy I guess).
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:26 am

UA Econ+ upgrade reimbursed
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:09 pm

United airline reimbursement Amex gold card

Hey guys, Im new here. I got my amex gold card about a month ago and was researching a way to use my airline credit fee of $100. Ran into this site and its been really helpful! So thank you for all of the input and guidance. Ended up using my airline credit on an E+ seat upgrade. I got reimbursed today 4/18/19 on my flight from MIA to Calgary with one connecting flight in Houston.

Air Houston and SuperKirby like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: Ink/Sapphire/Freedom/SPG
Does Award travel taxes work yet?
The wiki says it doesn't just want to clarify as I just see one post of 2013.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rocky_nnc
Does Award travel taxes work yet?
The wiki says it doesn't just want to clarify as I just see one post of 2013.
I think mine are reimbursed about 75% of the time. Seems pretty random.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
UA Gift Registerydiscontinued

You will see a message on the UA website that states. That the registers is discontinued and that you may use your balance until it expires.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.