Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by hayzel7773
Anyone know if Amex considers preferred seating charges (not E+, the new "front of cabin" seats) as part of the airline credit?
Yes, you will get credit for that..I got it twice the other day:

Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:57 pm

Has anyone tried or had luck with paying for premier status (promotions.united.com SLASH offers SLASH premierstatus) and getting that reimbursed? I was within $300 on PQDs last year and United is offering me status for 2019 for only $300. Would be helpful to know if this will be reimbursed.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by Javier1704

sooo,

I tried this with my Gold and got the reimbursement. Waiting on United refund to see if Amex reverses the credit.

If Amex take it back, I will just choose the travel credit instead.
Reporting back. Waited for seven days and United never issued the credit. Had to call 4 times since they kept sending me over to international flights department because this was a flight to PR and then they couldn't find my booking (wonder why... right?). Finally got transferred to a CSR in the US and she issued the credit. Credit showed today with same ticket number as the purchase. Will report back if Amex takes the credit back.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:52 pm

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
This is the response I received from Amex on Twitter (of course I wouldn’t call and point this out on my account).

Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:39 am

I have never used United for my AMEX credits. With the changes to the way AA posts GC purchases I needed to make a change. I have an upcoming United fight so I thought I would use the credit for how they were intended. Novel thought I know!

For my upcoming flight I can upgrade to Economy Plus for $421.80 for both legs of our trip for 3 people. If I add that at the time of booking do they sperate that out on the charge to AMEX? Or do I need to be book the flight first and add in the upgrade on a separate transaction?

Thanks
TD
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:36 pm
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Successful reimbursements in February 2019 on my Business Platinum card:

1. Purchased E+ seat for $89 on 2/19, reimbursed on 2/21
2. Purchased E+ seat for $62 on 2/24, reimbursed on 2/26

CLG
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
I have never used United for my AMEX credits. With the changes to the way AA posts GC purchases I needed to make a change. I have an upcoming United fight so I thought I would use the credit for how they were intended. Novel thought I know!

For my upcoming flight I can upgrade to Economy Plus for $421.80 for both legs of our trip for 3 people. If I add that at the time of booking do they sperate that out on the charge to AMEX? Or do I need to be book the flight first and add in the upgrade on a separate transaction?

Thanks
TD
I typically do the latter, immediately after booking, and it always works. Probably safer, but I’m curious to see if you decide on the former. Good luck.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by mc0107
why do you want a voucher? buy the pet fee, then cancel it (or even the entire ticket) and you get your Amex credit, too.
This worked for me. I had to call to get the pet fee refunded. Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by jeepie

I typically do the latter, immediately after booking, and it always works. Probably safer, but I’m curious to see if you decide on the former. Good luck.
Ended up booking the entire thing in low class, then upgrading each segment afterwards. I wanted to split the upcharges over two cards (Aspire $250 and Gold $100). That way I was able to use 100% of both those cards with only a few $$ out pocket to make up the difference. Since I don’t fly United much I didn’t want a credit balance on the cards I converted from AA to United.

TD
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
FWIW, I sent email to UA web support to ask about the Travel Bank, pointing out that it's been offline for over a year:

This is the response I got.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you.

Our Travel Bank is still under maintenance. We do not have an estimated time of availability as of yet, I apologize. However, please be aware that this does not restrict you from applying the funds in your account to a future travel with United.

Let us know if you have any further questions.
Completely worthless.
747FC likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: Previously UA 1K, Delta Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Avis First, AA Gold
Originally Posted by oreozp
Has anyone tried getting reimbursement for United mile reinstatement fees (either direct reinstatement or the $100 before taking a flight or signing up for a UA credit card)? I searched this thread for "reinstate" but found zero results.
No response on this, so I'm just going to try it out and report back.
747FC likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 9:30 am

Resolved this problem on how to use the air credits. Cancelled my Amex Business Plat card. Tired of playing this game. This is all nonsense. Amex obviously doesn't want anyone using these credits, so they keep drilling down so no one can hardly use them.
747FC and SuperKirby like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lbotez
Resolved this problem on how to use the air credits. Cancelled my Amex Business Plat card. Tired of playing this game. This is all nonsense. Amex obviously doesn't want anyone using these credits, so they keep drilling down so no one can hardly use them.
Did they ask you why you were cancelling, and did you tell them why?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by cpmed43
Reimbursed $75 x 2 for award ticket cancellations on Amex Platinum on January 3 2019. However, I had to call Amex to ask as was still showing as a charge after two weeks.
Amex just denied reimbursement for award ticket cancellation fees on my Platinum. The representative said that "change fees" would be covered but that this was not technically a "change fee."
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by joejones
Amex just denied reimbursement for award ticket cancellation fees on my Platinum. The representative said that "change fees" would be covered but that this was not technically a "change fee."
HUCA and ask for your "change fees" to be reimbursed. After all, you incurred the fees because you changed something. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.