Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jordandawg05
how much are the passes? i still have the 100 dollar credit....any last minute option?
United Club one-time passes are available for purchase for $59 at club locations or through the United app on your Apple®, Android™ or Windows® Phone 8 device. This pass will allow one person one-time access to any United Club location.

Give United Club a try, and then save on the price of a full-year membership. Join within 30 days of your one-time pass purchase, and we'll waive the price of your initiation fee, a $50 value.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hip-rates.html
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:44 pm

Thanks Mia - i'll go ahead and do that. better than nothing !
Old Dec 30, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by jordandawg05
how much are the passes? i still have the 100 dollar credit....any last minute option?
Yes, they are 59$ each.. pricey and since I really don't need to spend time in the airports (or there is an AMEX lounge where I usually go). But, better than a total waste. Ironically, the one I bought LAST year 12/30/17, expired today. But, I bought three new ones since I had 195$ left on my 200$ credit. Wasted about 18$ overall. And, there's a more than 50/50 chance these expire next year this day as well.

Hopefully, AMEX still considers this a valid purchase and I'm not out the 177$ charged.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Alright UA, it is now 2019. That gift registry that was supposed to be fixed by "mid 2018" is still not working. This is your 30 day warning. If things do not change by the end of the month, I'm switching my airline choice to WN. I lucked out last year because I had to change a flight and the change fee ate up most of the credit and wifi onboard ate up the rest, but I'm not going to risk it another year because your IT department is full of incompetent idiots.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:35 pm

Really stupid question here (I can't figure out how to do it from the UA website without actually booking):

Buy E tickets on UA.com
Then "upgrade" to E+ (which ironically is actually more than the First Class ticket by that point, by like $30), paying the upgrade fee on the Amex.
Then "upgrade" to First? (since that's what ultimately I'd want)--I know this would not be covered as a reimbursement.

I understand only the E+ Upgrade would be reimbursed, but I'm not sure what the price difference between E+ and First would be (if at all), as it appears I'd have to actually book things for that to happen.

Short of doing the roundabout, buy ticket, add pet, cancel, etc.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hurnik

I understand only the E+ Upgrade would be reimbursed, but I'm not sure what the price difference between E+ and First would be (if at all), as it appears I'd have to actually book things for that to happen.
The same as the cost to upgrade from E- to F. Buying E+ does not change the underlying fare.

The E+ fee would be refunded.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:46 pm

Switched to AA. Enough of this crap.

Then after I get reimbursed, I'm cancelling the card (AX Plat Business). I really don't want to. I've had this card for awhile now; used to be my favorite card. But $595 in fees just isn't worth it.
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Took 5 days, but my final credit of the year just posted for Dec. 31 wifi subscription purchase. Successfully used $500 in AMEX credits from three different cards on UA this year. May move one card's worth to DL for next year.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by WormGod
How did you add your dog to the reservation? I don't see an option for that after already having booked the ticket. Did you do it at the time of booking, and did it show up as a separate charge on your Amex?
Late, but in case anyone wondered:

You can do it at the time of booking, but in this scenario, you'd wait until you're ticketed. Then login to United.com, and select: manage your trip.
Scroll down towards the bottom where it has the section for special requests and accommodations.
Expand it.
Towards the bottom is a small line that says:
+ Add Pet

Click the Plus sign to add the pet.
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hurnik
Late, but in case anyone wondered:

You can do it at the time of booking, but in this scenario, you'd wait until you're ticketed. Then login to United.com, and select: manage your trip.
Scroll down towards the bottom where it has the section for special requests and accommodations.
Expand it.
Towards the bottom is a small line that says:
+ Add Pet

Click the Plus sign to add the pet.
Sorry if this has already been answered, but is there a "simple" procedure to buy a "pet fee" on UA and get it refunded into a travel voucher?

I've been taking AA credits (easy electronic gift card purchases) instead of UA credits ever since the UA registry went down, but I would like some UA credits in 2019 if there's something that will reliably work. Thanks.
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by iahphx
Sorry if this has already been answered, but is there a "simple" procedure to buy a "pet fee" on UA and get it refunded into a travel voucher?

I've been taking AA credits (easy electronic gift card purchases) instead of UA credits ever since the UA registry went down, but I would like some UA credits in 2019 if there's something that will reliably work. Thanks.
why do you want a voucher? buy the pet fee, then cancel it (or even the entire ticket) and you get your Amex credit, too.
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:30 am

AMEX Plat United $200 Re-Imbursement

Hi,

Just wanted to quickly check if I'll be re-imbursed if I spend that money in in-flight shopping?

Thank you!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:17 am

On United? What in flight shopping?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
On United? What in flight shopping?
Apologies, yes United. In flight shopping as in perfumes or electronics one can purchase on the flight. Also, this is a codeshare from Lufthansa although the flight is United (which is what I've selected for my amex reimbursement for the $200 payout).

Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by constant_traveller
Apologies, yes United. In flight shopping as in perfumes or electronics one can purchase on the flight. Also, this is a codeshare from Lufthansa although the flight is United (which is what I've selected for my amex reimbursement for the $200 payout).

Thanks!
If you are referring to inflight duty free shopping, United discontinued offering duty free sales in 2017.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.