Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Any help, oh Amex/UA gurus?!?!?!?
Change your airline to Delta, buy 2x $50 GCs for $1 out of pocket, and fly Delta once next year?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: MP Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
I can buy around 2,000 miles--while a horrible use, it's better than letting it go to waste.
Do you get reimbursed for miles purchased?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:33 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Change your airline to Delta, buy 2x $50 GCs for $1 out of pocket, and fly Delta once next year?

Yeah, not going to happen. A) I didn't think you could change mid-year, and B) I'll be mileage running to keep 1K on United. Flying DL on a trip to save $100 will cost me even more in the long run. But thank you!

Originally Posted by WormGod
Do you get reimbursed for miles purchased?

I figured one does. I'm just guessing. It is an ancillary item.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:55 am

I still have $80 left. I'm stuck with UA since I partially used it earlier this year. Can you buy mileage and get credit??? It really makes me mad I am going to lose this credit.

BTW, I have an Amex Business Plat card for years. Amex keeps making this card more worthless every year. Now they are raising the fees to $595 from $450. The new "benefits" suck, so I'm out of here when the card expires in February. I had enough of this. Gonna switch to AA and get some gift cards in January, then "bye bye" to Amex Plat ....
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by lbotez
I still have $80 left. I'm stuck with UA since I partially used it earlier this year. Can you buy mileage and get credit??? It really makes me mad I am going to lose this credit.

BTW, I have an Amex Business Plat card for years. Amex keeps making this card more worthless every year. Now they are raising the fees to $595 from $450. The new "benefits" suck, so I'm out of here when the card expires in February. I had enough of this. Gonna switch to AA and get some gift cards in January, then "bye bye" to Amex Plat ....
Nope. IIRC, UA mileage purchases are sold through points.com and won't trigger the credit.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta GM, Delta Amex Plat,
Just a data point,

Tickets purchased on 12/10
Upgrade to E+ via UA app on 12/15
Reimbursed on 12/18

On a different note, UA is still offering me $149 to upgrade to First even after the E+ upgrade purchase. That's the same price they offered when I was still in Y. Slightly frustrating...
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Bfhause
Just a data point,

Tickets purchased on 12/10
Upgrade to E+ via UA app on 12/15
Reimbursed on 12/18

On a different note, UA is still offering me $149 to upgrade to First even after the E+ upgrade purchase. That's the same price they offered when I was still in Y. Slightly frustrating...
That's because you're still in Y. Despite UA marketing it as an "upgrade" to E+, in reality it's just a slightly better seat location in Y. (That's also why AMEX will reimburse a E+ "seat selection" fee but won't reimburse an actual upgrade to another class.)
FlyingHighlander and nexusCFX like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Would this work:

Purchase a refundable ticket and then cancel. Instead of having the funds go back to the AMEX card, have it applied to your Travel Bank?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Would this work:
Purchase a refundable ticket and then cancel. Instead of having the funds go back to the AMEX card, have it applied to your Travel Bank?
What's the point of that? Airfare purchase doesn't trigger the credit.
lax01 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
What's the point of that? Airfare purchase doesn't trigger the credit.
Doh!

Thanks. I got carried away trying to come up with a way to get the credit before it expires EOY
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:29 pm

i was just approved for Amex Gold and have selected united as my preferred airline 30 minutes ago
from my 20 minutes researching, the only "loophole" is getting E+ seats then calling them to manually reimburse ?

has anyone tried the following ?
-buying gift cards on MileagePlus X app (Bestbuy, Walmart... ect)
-paying to enter complimentary wait list upgrade ( 20K miles + 450$). did that last year and amex statement showed it as Document Type: UPGRADE CHARGE. you dont get lounge access, only the seat.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nadox
-paying to enter complimentary wait list upgrade ( 20K miles + 450$). did that last year and amex statement showed it as Document Type: UPGRADE CHARGE.
That's not likely to reimburse. As noted many times in this thread, upgrade fees are not reimburseable.

If you are not a frequent UA flyer, and are not going to incur change fees, wifi charges, United Club fees, award-related fees, baggage fees, or E+ fees, you should select a different airline that will allow gift card purchases.
Originally Posted by nadox
you dont get lounge access, only the seat.
OT, but that's wrong. If you upgrade to Polaris business class, you get Polaris lounge access.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Doh!

Thanks. I got carried away trying to come up with a way to get the credit before it expires EOY
Well if you plan to fly United a lot next year, or a decent amount in the next month, you can always use the credit on a WiFi subscription. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29394616-post47

I'd be unlikely to ever use it for on board purchase, as the MPE card is offering 25% cash back for on board purchases of food, wifi, etc.. But it does not give the cash back for wifi subscriptions because they are not purchased on board, so...
Infinite1K likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Another year, another set of united club passes purchased. I gotta change my 200$ credit to another airline for next year. this is a total waste.
Diplomatico and krazykanuck like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
Another year, another set of united club passes purchased. I gotta change my 200$ credit to another airline for next year. this is a total waste.
how much are the passes? i still have the 100 dollar credit....any last minute option?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.