Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: AMEX Plat Marriott Gold HHGold UA Silver
I skimmed the thread but didn’t see anything recent about applying the $200 toward the United Club fee? My travel had been almost all involving IAH or SFO so the Centurian was always a better option. But my life has shifted toward the East coast so a club membership maybe more useful.

i wanna cry seeing I missed the boat on applying it toward MXP!!
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by ethan76
I skimmed the thread but didn’t see anything recent about applying the $200 toward the United Club fee? My travel had been almost all involving IAH or SFO so the Centurian was always a better option. But my life has shifted toward the East coast so a club membership maybe more useful.

i wanna cry seeing I missed the boat on applying it toward MXP!!
what's MXP?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 7:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
what's MXP?
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...eageplusx.aspx
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:21 am

Thank you. I read that page and understand it. I see the app has been trashed in reviews. That aside, in what way can I use my Amex reimbursements against MPX?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:09 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
...., in what way can I use my Amex reimbursements against MPX?
You could have (past tense), but see the Wikipost at the top of this thread: As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by mia
You could have (past tense), but see the Wikipost at the top of this thread: As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.
Ah ok. Got it- thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ethan76
Here's a report from late 2017 that confirms that United Club fee gets (partially, I would presume) reimbursed.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post29213432
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Gold | Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Here's a report from late 2017 that confirms that United Club fee gets (partially, I would presume) reimbursed.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post29213432
Yes, I received the full $200 AmEx fee reimbursement when I paid for a United Club membership late last year. It was automatically applied ~2 days after the fee posted without any intervention on my part. In the details for the charge on the AmEx site, the document type shows "LOUNGE/CLUB ACCESS OR DAY PASS".
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA MP
Not sure if covered, but AMEX airline reimbursement fee covers the residual taxes from award tickets.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: UA 1K
Hi all: Like an idiot I forgot to select an airline when I got my card. I recently (1 week) ago flew United and charged $50 on baggage fees. Can I now select UA and ask Amex to cover the charges? Will they do it? Any experiences?

Last edited by ksingh0311; Sep 1, 2018 at 10:12 am
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:41 am

Does Amex still reimburse Economy Plus seat upgrades? Waiting several business days now since transaction posted...
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by apolloms
So is the gift registry going to come back this year or what?
I'm expecting it to come back after all of our TravelBank funds have expired (because cash expires). I can't figure out how to use the funds right now either.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by photaco
I'm expecting it to come back after all of our TravelBank funds have expired (because cash expires). I can't figure out how to use the funds right now either.
I'm the last FTer who has reported funding the gift registry. Using whatever is in your account is as simple as calling an agent and asking for the funds to be used.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by photaco
There's an option to apply the TravelBank funds once you reach the payment page on the website. (Just did a dummy booking to confirm that it's still there.) It's just above the section where you would enter your credit card information, same page.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
There's an option to apply the TravelBank funds once you reach the payment page on the website. (Just did a dummy booking to confirm that it's still there.) It's just above the section where you would enter your credit card information, same page.
Agree with the quote above, simple to use TravelBank funds for partial or full payment.

FWIW: TravelBank and Gift Registry are different entities. United uses the TravelBank for other funds than the (possibly defunct) Gift Registry. The United.com Club has a $25 annual membership fee and then credits $5 to the TravelBank for each ticket purchased and flown (one of the reasons some people sometimes purchase 2 one-way tickets instead of a roundtrip). I’ve also had erroneously charged taxes and fees for tickets paid for with TravelBank funds reimbursed automatically back into the TravelBank.

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Sep 9, 2018 at 7:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.