Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by iahphx
That doesn't sound too encouraging at this point.
Watch it come back and this no longer works
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by manda99
I booked RT ORD-LGA, and after booking, was offered first class upgrade on the LGA-ORD leg for $119 each. Paid for it and was pleasantly surprised to just now discover that American Express credited it back to me as my airline fees credit. Didn't even think about it when I was booking. Coded as Category: Travel - Airline.
yes, any sort of seat upgrade or change to say E+ for a non-prem that would have a charge gets this credit. Even if it is done all together with a ticket reservation.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by nmenaker
yes, any sort of seat upgrade or change to say E+ for a non-prem that would have a charge gets this credit. Even if it is done all together with a ticket reservation.
Not quite true. Upgrades to a different class are specifically called out in the T&C's as not qualifying airline incidental expenses:

"Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees."

Receiving the statement credit when paying for an upgrade to F/J is a YMMV situation.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by nnn
Look at the bright side. At least a fake dog can't be killed.
As a real dog owner, I never thought of that method and the more I think about it, the more I think it's crazy but!!! I have to say it's "smart".
Old Mar 25, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Would a United Economy Plus subscription be eligible for this credit?
Old Apr 7, 2018, 7:29 pm

I’m still not seeing the Gift Registry. Anyone have any ideas on how to recoup the credit? Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 2018, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by christof
I’m still not seeing the Gift Registry. Anyone have any ideas on how to recoup the credit? Thanks!
Use it on another airline that has better options for the credit. The gift registry has been down for months.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
Use it on another airline that has better options for the credit. The gift registry has been down for months.
I wish I could, but it looks like I can’t change the airline until January of next year.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:52 am

I wish I could, but it looks like I can’t change the airline until January of next year.
If you haven't used any of the credit, you can call and ask them to do a change as a one time favor.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

Call. AMEX will change if for you.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:43 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Yes, call to request a change, but do not mention the UA Gift Registry as a reason. Gift Registry deposits are not eligible for reimbursement. This only worked because American Express' automated system mistook the deposits for eligible fees.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by mia
Yes, call to request a change, but do not mention the UA Gift Registry as a reason. Gift Registry deposits are not eligible for reimbursement. This only worked because American Express' automated system mistook the deposits for eligible fees.
Cited pet deaths / murders / killings and frustration with United, but no one time exception (I’ve never changed my airline)… since I used a portion of the credit, I couldn’t make a change. WiFi passes it is.

Anyone know where to sell or trade the WiFi subscription activation code?

Last edited by christof; Apr 12, 2018 at 12:15 pm
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Not quite true. Upgrades to a different class are specifically called out in the T&C's as not qualifying airline incidental expenses:

"Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees."

Receiving the statement credit when paying for an upgrade to F/J is a YMMV situation.
I"m booked in economy on IAD-MSY. On United.com, they are offering 20k UA miles + $75 to upgrade (non-guaranteed upgrade.. the "Use Miles to Upgrade" option); or a straight $239 to upgrade (guaranteed -- the "Purchase Upgrade" option).

Any advice on which option may end up with a charge that is more likely to qualify for the AmEx reimbursement?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jfidler
I"m booked in economy on IAD-MSY. On United.com, they are offering 20k UA miles + $75 to upgrade (non-guaranteed upgrade.. the "Use Miles to Upgrade" option); or a straight $239 to upgrade (guaranteed -- the "Purchase Upgrade" option).

Any advice on which option may end up with a charge that is more likely to qualify for the AmEx reimbursement?
$239 is a better deal and qualifies for reimbursement.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:44 am

Give it a try. I called Amex last week and they did switch it for me. Just ask nicely. Always helps. Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.