Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Old Dec 29, 2017, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
Just bought 2 passes for $118. Unfortunately to get 3 would have been $177 and I only had $175 remaining with AMEX.
You weren't willing to pay $2 for a lounge pass?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by rovitm
Based on recent data points, I decided to upgrade to E+ for a flight to Europe next summer. The total cost was a little under $150. I checked and my AMEX Plat credit was never processed. The charge came in from United Airlines and on the description it said it was a preferred seat upgrade. I started a chat with a CSR and she said it was not eligible. CSR sent me a list of some of the more common eligible expenses and one listed was seat assignment fees. I argued the upgrade from E to E+ was a seat assignment fee. She countered that the seat assignment fee has to be within the same booking class. I let her know that with United you have to buy a E ticket and then upgrade to E+. I completely understand her point if I was upgrading from E to business or first class. She told me she would start an investigation (can take 4 weeks). I welcome any thoughts here if I am wrong here.

Thanks
EDIT: Just received the credit from AMEX.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by wco81
Crap, gotta remember to use the Travel Bank whenever I buy a ticket.
Historically, the actual travel bank never expired, it would pay out after 24 months in check form. Does it now say that they expire the value? somehow that doesn't seem legal.

as for the lounge passes. I tried doing a day pass (in the app, can't do online apparently) with my AMEX card and still hasn't shown up on my AMEX bill as travel credit.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
as for the lounge passes. I tried doing a day pass (in the app, can't do online apparently) with my AMEX card and still hasn't shown up on my AMEX bill as travel credit.
I burned the last of my credit on a day pass via the app and the credit posted a few days (4-5 IIRC) later.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I have $87 remaining and without TravelBank I have absolutely no way to use it.

So far all I've managed to use this credit for is buying liquor in-flight.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
[QUOTE=txflyer77;29232200]I have $87 remaining and without TravelBank I have absolutely no way to use it.

Amex really should give United customers a pass on this one. When so many of us view the value proposition as $550-$200 in Uber - $200 in United, so $150...that's a big chunk of your annual fee.

Last edited by worldwidedreamer; Dec 31, 2017 at 7:50 am Reason: I was being boring.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Registry still down. Can someone please wake up United folks, it is 2018.
Please open the registry!
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by klakhav
Registry still down. Can someone please wake up United folks, it is 2018.
Please open the registry!
Then the question becomes: will the (presumably revised) registry still code as a reimbursable charge under the AMEX airline incidentals credit program or not?
RandomBaritone likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by txflyer77
So far all I've managed to use this credit for is buying liquor in-flight.
I mean, there are worse uses.
Diplomatico and Tony300S like this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Surprised UA wouldn't jump for revenue by getting this fixed since they knew TB was loop hole for so long.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Then the question becomes: will the (presumably revised) registry still code as a reimbursable charge under the AMEX airline incidentals credit program or not?
Exactly. In fact, it's more than likely that UA and AmEx are working together to ensure that new GC purchases code "properly," meaning they won't be reimbursed. I hope I'm wrong though, especially since the industry is moving toward broader travel reimbursement for high-end cards. It seems churlish and short-sighted of AmEx to go out of their way to deny this with Chase nipping at their heels.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: United Premiere 1K, SW Companion, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime, Hertz Presidents Circle
MR $200 Credit - Airline choice question

I have had United as my airline of choice for years and finally just figured out how to get the 200. in United credit last year - the first year I ever got the full value of this benefit and now apparently it is gone again.
So reading through here, it is apparent I will need to change my airline of choice to AA in order to get the full GC card reimbursement.I don't fly AA much but can use the gc at some point I am sure.
I do fly United often as I am based in Houston and am United plat so would still prefer to have them be my airline of choice. Can I name AA as my airline of choice for 2018 get the gift cards and then change back to United? I don't remember when we actually have to make our choice...but I thought I remembered you can only change once during a year? I have not gotten that notification yet and in the past, I have just allowed it to roll over to United.
I guess the other option is to remain united for the year and then come next December change to AA (assuming the loophole hasn't closed by then).
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:00 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
You must make the change in January. Customer service may let you change later in the year if you have not used any of the 2018 benefit, but I wouldn't count on it. I would wait until late January to see if the UA Gift Registry comes back online.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I've never understood what the reasoning is with this Amex reimbursement. It's a card for frequent travelers but, as a frequent traveler, I'm already an elite on the airlines I fly so I don't have incidental airline fees. I also already have club access through their card (not to mention airline clubs as I only fly internationally). How would I ever use this stupid $200 if I didn't do it through the gift registry. On United round trips to Asia I get 4 free bags. I would have bring more than 350 lbs. of luggage to manage to get charged a bag fee on United. The moment I can't use the $200 I'm just going to cancel the card.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dkmatter
..., as a frequent traveler, I'm already an elite on the airlines I fly so I don't have incidental airline fees. I also already have club access through their card ....
It may not make sense to choose your primary airline for this benefit.

This feature was added when American Express's contracts for access to CO and then AA lounges ended. The idea was that they would give us $200 toward the cost of an airline club membership, and they allowed it to also be used to reimburse nuisance fees for services (e.g. seat selection, checked bags) that used to be bundled into ticket prices, because most airlines don't operate clubs, not everyone uses them, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.