Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA MM PG, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, IHG Platinum
Has anyone had recent success with calling and switching Amex airline from UA to another? I did in early November, but I wonder if they are less likely to the closer it gets to the new year.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, SPG, HertzGold
Originally Posted by pallhedge
Your only options are to switch your preferred airline to one that still works (check the other threads in this forum) or hold out hope that UA will suddenly start working again (inadvisable).
I am in the same boat. When I called AMEX to see about trying to change my airline from UA to DL that denied it. I'll try another CSR.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by icenyne
I am in the same boat. When I called AMEX to see about trying to change my airline from UA to DL that denied it. I'll try another CSR.
seriously, there is literally a little over 3 weeks left to the year. I'm afraid you waited too long.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by lbotez
I really like my Amex Platinum card. But I hardly use it anymore. I use the Chase Sapphire Reserve instead for most transactions. Amex needs to make the Plat card more attractive. Sorry but Uber isn't it. The Plat card should give you 3X for travel categories and 2X for restaurants like the Chase card and no hassles with the travel credit. As UA is my chosen airline this year, I used the 35% return on the UA travel this year twice (forced to book with Amex Travel), but booking anything direct with United only gives you 1%. .
From AMEX Site >>> 5X Membership Rewards®points on flights booked directly with airlines

Doesn't booking direct with united give you 5X?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ahhlun
Doesn't booking direct with united give you 5X?
Personal Platinum does. Business Platinum does not. This tell us that ibotez has a Business Platinum: I used the 35% return on the UA travel this year twice
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
seriously, there is literally a little over 3 weeks left to the year. I'm afraid you waited too long.
Now you're making it sound like people have to take responsibility for their own actions and/or inactions. Just stop with that already.
cruisr likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:05 pm

I called last night and they changed it for me no questions asked.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:02 am

Maybe if all of us called and asked for that benefit to match the CSR benefit and to send that feedback up the chain they’ll listen. Especially Centurions amd people close to renewal/retention
Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hhonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by phant0m
I called last night and they changed it for me no questions asked.
Me too thankfully.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:02 pm

I call today and they changed it no question asked. Maybe its the people that already made a selection this year that's being rejected? I didn't change the airline selection from last year.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Is United's site still down or I'm using the wrong link from the wiki thread up top? Thx.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Is United's site still down or I'm using the wrong link from the wiki thread up top? Thx.
Still down and don't see it coming back online. Been like this for months.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by BizClsDreaming
Still down and don't see it coming back online. Been like this for months.
I remember everytime I do this it's complicated. There's Gift Registry and Gift Certificates. In the past I was able to buy either or and than they discontinued one. Now maybe both?

The last one I did was for a family member earlier this year and it went through okay.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:15 pm

I noticed a change today. The notice now reads:

We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. We expect the page to be up and running again in early 2018.

This is a new notice, at least for me.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by SkyHarbor
I noticed a change today. The notice now reads:

We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. We expect the page to be up and running again in early 2018.

This is a new notice, at least for me.
Thanks for posting this observation. There is hope!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.