Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:08 am

Hi, I've got the full $200 on Amex Platinum. I used to do gift registry, Can someone please help with the options. I do not have any more trips planned for 2017. Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 21, 2017, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by denisiel
Hi, I've got the full $200 on Amex Platinum. I used to do gift registry, Can someone please help with the options. I do not have any more trips planned for 2017. Thanks in advance!
Your only options are to switch your preferred airline to one that still works (check the other threads in this forum) or hold out hope that UA will suddenly start working again (inadvisable).
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:23 am

I really like my Amex Platinum card. But I hardly use it anymore. I use the Chase Sapphire Reserve instead for most transactions. Amex needs to make the Plat card more attractive. Sorry but Uber isn't it. The Plat card should give you 3X for travel categories and 2X for restaurants like the Chase card and no hassles with the travel credit. As UA is my chosen airline this year, I used the 35% return on the UA travel this year twice (forced to book with Amex Travel), but booking anything direct with United only gives you 1%. This year, I used the $200 travel credit on economy plus upgrades (mainly because I didn't get around to doing it until recently). Plus I like the gold status on SPG/Hilton, but not sure it's worth the extra money or the hassle involved to get the credits.

The card used to be more valuable. Amex needs more lounges, better benefits and not so many restrictions.

Next year I'll change it to AA or DL, since there is no way to buy gift cards on UA anymore. If they take away that privilege on the other airlines, I'll probably close the account.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by lbotez
The card used to be more valuable. Amex needs more lounges.
More lounges? What exactly did you have in mind? UA and AA in addition to the existing Delta, PP, Escape, and Centurion? It certainly blows the CSR and every other premium card away in this category.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:45 am

Anyone come up with any creative ways to use this credit for United for end of 2017 and 2018? Now that Gift registry is dead, doesn't seem like there are any easily redeemable methods left.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by moe8555
More lounges? What exactly did you have in mind? UA and AA in addition to the existing Delta, PP, Escape, and Centurion? It certainly blows the CSR and every other premium card away in this category.
To what do you refer when you say "UA and AA?" Since when will my Amex Plat bring me into those lounges?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 747FC
To what do you refer when you say "UA and AA?" Since when will my Amex Plat bring me into those lounges?
What I believe they're saying is, "what do you expect? UA and AA lounge access in addition to DL, PP, etc..." and pointing out that the Platinum card currently grants access to the greatest number and variety of lounges of the 3 main premium US issued cards (vs the CSR and Prestige)
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:57 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...Amex needs more lounges, better benefits and not so many restrictions..
Originally Posted by moe8555
More lounges? What exactly did you have in mind? .
Originally Posted by 747FC
Since when will my Amex Plat bring me into those lounges?
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
What I believe they're saying is, "what do you expect? ...
In context it seems Ibotez means that American Express should open more Centurion lounges. AA and UA are no longer interested in diluting their relationship with their own co-branded card issuers by allowing any other access.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I really like my Amex Platinum card. But I hardly use it anymore. I use the Chase Sapphire Reserve instead for most transactions. Amex needs to make the Plat card more attractive. Sorry but Uber isn't it. The Plat card should give you 3X for travel categories and 2X for restaurants like the Chase card and no hassles with the travel credit. As UA is my chosen airline this year, I used the 35% return on the UA travel this year twice (forced to book with Amex Travel), but booking anything direct with United only gives you 1%. This year, I used the $200 travel credit on economy plus upgrades (mainly because I didn't get around to doing it until recently). Plus I like the gold status on SPG/Hilton, but not sure it's worth the extra money or the hassle involved to get the credits.

The card used to be more valuable. Amex needs more lounges, better benefits and not so many restrictions.

Next year I'll change it to AA or DL, since there is no way to buy gift cards on UA anymore. If they take away that privilege on the other airlines, I'll probably close the account.
I think people see the AMEX Plat (Personal/Business) and CSR have similar AFs and think they are the same. While there may be overlap, these are pretty different products. Your AF for AMEX goes to perks such has their own lounge network, hotel status, Uber, and others. While the AF for the CSR goes to higher point earnings, and redeeming those points at a higher value.

Additionally, you mention your 35% rebate which means you have the business card. When using your points back on that, it works out to $0.0154 per point, which slightly edges the CSR at $0.015 per point. I agree its annoying AMEX makes you book airfare through them for the 5x (Business only). However, there typically isn't any disadvantage to doing this (like there are with pre-paid hotels).

For my UA credit, I charge in a UA Club membership and affectively get 200 off the top, which I think is a good value for me. YMMV.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
I reviewed a few pages but didn’t see this there or in the wiki. Did I miss somewhere simple?

If I needed to purchase lounge access for myself or a companion would that qualify for me to be reimbursed on my PRG? What about onboard food and drink?

Any recent experiences with E+ being reimbursed?

Thanks.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by danhunterpost
I reviewed a few pages but didn’t see this there or in the wiki. Did I miss somewhere simple?

If I needed to purchase lounge access for myself or a companion would that qualify for me to be reimbursed on my PRG? What about onboard food and drink?

Any recent experiences with E+ being reimbursed?

Thanks.
All of those fall under incidental charges and are eligible. Another poster up thread provided the below snippet. Bolding mine for your situation.

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10
I think people see the AMEX Plat (Personal/Business) and CSR have similar AFs and think they are the same. While there may be overlap, these are pretty different products. Your AF for AMEX goes to perks such has their own lounge network, hotel status, Uber, and others. While the AF for the CSR goes to higher point earnings, and redeeming those points at a higher value.

Additionally, you mention your 35% rebate which means you have the business card. When using your points back on that, it works out to $0.0154 per point, which slightly edges the CSR at $0.015 per point. I agree its annoying AMEX makes you book airfare through them for the 5x (Business only). However, there typically isn't any disadvantage to doing this (like there are with pre-paid hotels).

For my UA credit, I charge in a UA Club membership and affectively get 200 off the top, which I think is a good value for me. YMMV.
first: I did mean the Amex Centurion Lounges. Most are quite nice, somewhat crowded, but some of my favorite lounges. There just aren't enough of them.

In regard to the 35% rebate; I had no idea the personal Amex Plat card didn't have that. Honestly? And it's $550 a year??? Seriously, Amex needs to get their heads examined. And the Uber benefit I could care less about...

CSR I can get 3X for restaurants and travel and then get 1.5X for using the rewards for airfare.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 1:42 am

first: I did mean the Amex Centurion Lounges. Most are quite nice, somewhat crowded, but some of my favorite lounges. There just aren't enough of them.

In regard to the 35% rebate; I had no idea the personal Amex Plat card didn't have that. Honestly? And it's $550 a year??? Seriously, Amex needs to get their heads examined. And the Uber benefit I could care less about...

CSR I can get 3X for restaurants and travel and then get 1.5X for using the rewards for airfare.
I wish they had more/larger spaces too. I'm sure getting commercial space at airports is tough. SFO is always crowded when I'm there. The points rebate (originally 50% but reduced to 35%) is business only. Another business only feature is the GoGo WiFi passes. The personal platinum 5x category is with airfare purchases directly from airlines which makes things a bit easier (business is amex portal only).

No doubt the CSR is easier to earn and burn, I also have one.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JHake10
I think people see the AMEX Plat (Personal/Business) and CSR have similar AFs and think they are the same. While there may be overlap, these are pretty different products.
Completely agree with you. Besides the relatively high pre rebate annual fee and the fact that both come with a priority pass membership they are very different products targeting different markets.

Anyway back to the topic at hand I hope United gets the gift registry back up and running at some point otherwise I'll switch my card back to Delta for 2018.
SkyHarbor and JHake10 like this.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 11:27 am

Just wanted to say- I had $175 remaining on my plat amex airline fee reimbursement. Flew from EWR to SFO and used $75 for baggage- was reimbursed. Then decided to splurge/test on a purchase of an economy plus subscription for up to 8 pax. ($899) Since I had my family of 4, the cost to pay for E+ would have been $530 I figured why not just purchase a subscription. I am probably going to fly again next year. Anyway- I also received a $100 credit in addition to the baggage credit. Next year my intention is to upgrade my subscription and pay the difference via citi prestige to include hawaii since I will be headed there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.