Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Old Feb 1, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: NH, JL, SQ
$25 on plat 1/29
Posted 1/31
Reimbursed 2/1

$175 on plat 2/1
Posted 3/2, Benefits page showed as all $200 credit used
Statement credit posted 4/2

Last edited by merridius; Feb 4, 2017 at 2:55 pm
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:27 pm

$100 Airline Fee Reimbursement PRG Card

Can you get the Airline Fee reimbursement on the Premium Rewards Gold Card for expenses incurred on United Airlines (fee for seat selection) , even though you booked the airline ticket itself on a Visa (i.e., NOT Amex) card?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Did you do this? Sounds like you didn't use the PRG to make the purchase, how/why do you think Amex would know? The credits are automatic, in most cases.

Consumer $100 Airline Fee Credit
Benefit is available to Premier Rewards Gold Card Members only. To receive statement credits of up to $100 per calendar year toward incidental air travel fees, Card Member must select a qualifying airline at http://www.americanexpress.com/selectafc.

Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged to the Card Member on the eligible Card Account for the benefit to apply. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the eligible Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $100 per calendar year in statement credits across all Cards on the Account. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees not charged by the Card Member's airline of choice (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits. Incidental air travel fees charged prior to selection of a qualifying airline are not eligible for statement credits.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:20 am

Just another quick data point:

$200 single purchase on plat through TravelBank registry on 1/31, reimbursement posted 2/2
Old Feb 4, 2017, 9:23 am

PRG:

$100 Gift registry
posted 1/31
credited 2/2
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile When Can I get my next $200 UA Credit ?

I upgraded my Amex Gold to Platinum in June 2016. I purchased a $200 UA TC and Amex reimbursed me the $200 statement credit in October 2017. My Card Anniversary Date is in November.

When can I get me next $200 Amex Statement Credit ?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 12:33 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gpicur
...Amex reimbursed me the $200 statement credit in October 2017.
I am sure you mean 2016.

Originally Posted by gpicur

When can I get me next $200 Amex Statement Credit ?
Now. You were eligible beginning 1.1.2017.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat
$200 on plat to Travel Bank, 1/21, reimbursement posted on 1/23. Easy peasy.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:56 pm

Has anyone downgraded their Platinum to PRG mid year, after using up $200?

Does the $100 airline reimb credit reset for the updated card?

TIA
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by mhdena
Did you do this? Sounds like you didn't use the PRG to make the purchase, how/why do you think Amex would know? The credits are automatic, in most cases.

Consumer $100 Airline Fee Credit
Benefit is available to Premier Rewards Gold Card Members only. To receive statement credits of up to $100 per calendar year toward incidental air travel fees, Card Member must select a qualifying airline at http://www.americanexpress.com/selectafc.

Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged to the Card Member on the eligible Card Account for the benefit to apply. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the eligible Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $100 per calendar year in statement credits across all Cards on the Account. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees not charged by the Card Member's airline of choice (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits. Incidental air travel fees charged prior to selection of a qualifying airline are not eligible for statement credits.
I asked the question on the pRG, because I had previously held the Blue Sky Preferred card, which only offered reimbursement for airline incidents if the cost of the ticket was also charged to Amex. And the benefit was not automatic. One had to call, and the person on the other end of the line would check if the ticket was actually charged to the card and only then issue the credit.

I am glad that PRG is different.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 12:08 pm

$100 GiftRegistry on 2/2, reimbursed 2/5
On 2/4 though, the online benefits page indicated that $100 of the travel benefit was consumed, indicating reimbursement was incoming.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Thanks in advance for your data point. I'm looking at a 20k Miles + $500 upgrade from Econ to Polaris and I'd rather burn up Amex credits instead of Ritz since the latter ones I can use for award fee copays later this year.
I was a little hesitant to try my upgrade because of receiving positive and negative reports from December 2016. I finally charged my upgrade, again E+ to FC, on February 5th. Today the charge posted, but I am not encouraged as you can see here:

UNITED AIRLINES - HOUSTON, TX

$217.10
Doing business as:
UNITED ELEC TICKETNG
View Details on Merchant Website
600 JEFFERSON ST
STE 1900
HOUSTON
TX
77002-7324
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (THE)
Additional Information: 03690703 WWW.UNITED.COM

UNITED AIRLINES

Reference: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Category: Travel - Airline
Dispute/Inquire about this Charge

Flight Details
XXXXXXXXXXXX

Passenger Name: XXXXXXXXX
Date of Departure: 07/11
Ticket Number: XXXXXXXXXXX
Document Type: PASSENGER TICKET

If the document type read "miscellaneous taxes fees", then I could see getting a reimbursement. I've never known of one for passenger ticket.
Should I get a reimbursement, of course, I will post immediately; but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 3:11 am

On Dec 26, 2016 I did a seat upgrade on the app from E to E+ and it was reimbursed. This is on my statement:

Ticket Number: xxxxx
Date of Departure: 12/26
Passenger Name: xxxxx /ECONOMY PLUS S
Document Type: PREFERRED SEAT UPGRADE

Just wanted to post this as there was conflicting information on the wiki.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by travelbugging
Just wanted to post this as there was conflicting information on the wiki.
Thank you for your post and its specificity. I have updated the Wiki. We need more of these types of posts to clear up the confusion that surrounds how UA codes these purchases. Each airline has it own coding, and UA's seems to be somewhat less known compared to others. There have been several posts asking whether certain purchases will be reimbursed. It is my goal to get solid answers to these questions and strengthening the Wiki with that information.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:04 am

Based on posts #117 and #118, the difference is Amex reimburses a seat purchase but not a ticket upgrade. When I upgraded to FC, UA is giving me more than a seat; therefore, they code it as a ticket purchase. BTW when I upgraded to FC for $217, I actually received a credit of $145 for the previous upgrade from E to E+.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.