Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Does anyone know if I get a yearly wifi subscription in December, if I can use the $200 reimbursment on it in Dec and then in Jan? Or can you only use it once per charge?

Thanks
That's a charge that occurred in Dec 2018, so your 2018 calendar year airline credit would apply. I don't expect your 2019 calendar year airline credit to apply to a Dec 2018 charge.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 7:26 am

Hello! So I have been following this thread for a long time. I had been trying to figure out how to use my $200 credit on UA. I decided to upgrade to E+ seats, hoping that I would get reimbursed . If you guys are wondering, I upgraded these seats on the UA mobile app. It sat pending for 3 days and it finally posted this morning!
Jarin1 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Delta Amex Plat,
Originally Posted by casar22
Hello! So I have been following this thread for a long time. I had been trying to figure out how to use my $200 credit on UA. I decided to upgrade to E+ seats, hoping that I would get reimbursed . If you guys are wondering, I upgraded these seats on the UA mobile app. It sat pending for 3 days and it finally posted this morning!
Did you buy the tickets first? Then upgrade via the UA app after the fact?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Bfhause
Did you buy the tickets first? Then upgrade via the UA app after the fact?
Yes, I purchased my tickets on 11/01/2018. Then I upgraded my seats on 11/08/2018 via the UA app, and my reimbursement was finally posted on 11/12/18.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta GM, Delta Amex Plat,

Yes, I purchased my tickets on 11/01/2018. Then I upgraded my seats on 11/08/2018 via the UA app, and my reimbursement was finally posted on 11/12/18.
Great. I have an upcoming trip to Chicago in January that I will try that on. Thanks!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club

curious to get more information, was it an E+ upgrade or a first class upgrade?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine

curious to get more information, was it an E+ upgrade or a first class upgrade?
It was an E+ upgrade.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:02 pm

Quick question. If a Gold card authorized user on Amex Plat buys an E+ upgrade, does it trigger Airline fee reimbursement? Thanks!
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:12 pm

So I did an award ticket on UA using Avianca in economy. Any chance upgrade to premium economy on my UA ticket would trigger the incidental credit?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by keyjey
So I did an award ticket on UA using Avianca in economy. Any chance upgrade to premium economy on my UA ticket would trigger the incidental credit?
Do you mean Economy Plus? If so, then yes there have been many reports of it being reimbursed.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
E+ is not a separate class of service on UA, so the charge is not an "upgrade." It's an incidental fee, and no one should be surprised that it's being reimbursed by AMEX.

The one quirk here is that it also qualifies for PQD on UA.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
E+ is not a separate class of service on UA, so the charge is not an "upgrade." It's an incidental fee, and no one should be surprised that it's being reimbursed by AMEX.
Agreed. The only time I have ever had to call and ask, I referred to it as a “seat assignment fee,” which is specifically mentioned as being eligible. No problem at all to get reimbursed. Cheers.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by freemanzhu
Note that if you cancel the ticket after paying the pet charge, United will generally automatically process the refund for the ticket only. You need to call in to have the pet charge refunded.
Haha sure but I really wanted to take my dog with me so that's ok.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:28 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I'm stuck with $300 or so in credit and despite buying wifi on all my flights I'm still not getting close… There are no other hacks left these days? Sad to see the gift registry go.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
I'm stuck with $300 or so in credit and despite buying wifi on all my flights I'm still not getting close… There are no other hacks left these days? Sad to see the gift registry go.
how do you have so much credit? Multiple card accounts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.