Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 2, 18, 11:03 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
As of October 26, 2017 - the United gift registry is not accepting contributions due to system maintenance. The registry is expected to return in 2018.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions. By far, the most popular means is to contribute to your Gift Registry. Click HERE to enroll.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

TravelBank (Gift Registry) funds can only be used on United and United Express flights. Partner flights are not eligible. UA codes contributions
to a gift registry as a "special ticket." which Amex in turn reimburses.
  1. Log into united.com
  2. Set up a gift registry for yourself
  3. Use the link in your gift registry web page to send an announcement to your email address. This is better, faster, and more reliable than searching for your gift registry, especially if you have a common name. Even someone with an unusual surname like mre5765 has could not find his registry after creating it.
  4. Log out of united.com
  5. Follow the Make Contribution in your gift registry email
    (**You May Reach a Generic Screen and will need to look up your Name once again at this page. Please ensure accuracy if you have a Common Name**)
  6. Contribute using your Amex platinum card

There seems to be no downside to contributing in sub-200 dollar chunks since the gift registry creates a single pool of cash. However there are lots of reports of successful fee credits from a single $200 donation. Whether done as one $200 transaction or eight $25 transactions, the result is that one will have $200 in ones TravelBank.

PLEASE NOTE: When you establish a gift registry for the first time, it will take 24 hours before the funds in the registry are available to use toward payment of a flight.

There are reports that people are having trouble finding their own gift registries after creating one. All you have to do is log into your United account from the UA homepage. Next, click on My Account. There you will see Travel Bank in the second block of info on the left hand side. Directly underneath that is your Gift Registry where you'll find a link "Manage Gift Registry." Click on that and you will be able to do whatever you want from using the funds for a ticket to adding more money, etc.

Do I have to join the united.com Club ($25 annual fee) to use my TravelBank?
Apparently not.
Does spending TravelBank credit count towards PQD?
Yes-for revenue flights only
Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." Meanwhile, there are no recent reports of an Economy Plus annual subscription being reimbursed. Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 5, 17, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by SuperKirby View Post
So when I sent myself the email, this happens: "**You May Reach a Generic Screen and will need to look up your Name once again at this page. Please ensure accuracy if you have a Common Name**"

I try to look up my name but it's not there. I've done this successfully in 2014 and 2015 so my account isn't new. Any suggestions?
See my reply up-thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27698011-post14.html
Old Jan 5, 17, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
I signed up yesterday and over 24 hours later is still isn't working. I'll give it some more time and try again. I've tried IE, Firefox, Chrome. Both link and searching turn up empty.
Old Jan 5, 17, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by alexj7 View Post
I signed up yesterday and over 24 hours later is still isn't working. I'll give it some more time and try again. I've tried IE, Firefox, Chrome. Both link and searching turn up empty.
Yeah I've tried other browsers as well and logged out of UA. I'll wait a couple of days.
Old Jan 5, 17, 8:13 pm

Thanks, i'll give it a couple of days.
Old Jan 5, 17, 9:48 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SuperKirby View Post
Yeah I've tried other browsers as well and logged out of UA. I'll wait a couple of days.
When it did not work for me, I set a target contribution amount and this appeared to have done the trick.
Old Jan 6, 17, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by vdostoi1 View Post
When it did not work for me, I set a target contribution amount and this appeared to have done the trick.
Thanks, this worked for me. I could at least find it by searching my name after setting an amount.
Old Jan 6, 17, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07 View Post
After adding money, how do you redeem? I don't see any options on checkout for Gift Registry, but assuming since I just added $ it's b/c it's within 24 hours?

When you book a flight, as part of the payment process shows you your available Travel Bank balance and you can apply it. I think it takes a day or so after purchase for new credit to become part of the available balance.

Thanks. To confirm to others this is indeed the way it works.
Old Jan 6, 17, 10:55 am

Funded $200/$100 using my Platinum and PRG, respectively. Posted on 1/3, reimbursed 1/5.
Old Jan 6, 17, 11:23 am

Registry contribution $100 on 1/3, credited on PRG 1/5
Old Jan 6, 17, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by vdostoi1 View Post
I already had a target amount, it did not work. However, I CHANGED the target amount and it worked! I was able to find myself!

I think the system just needed something to kickstart itself to bring myself to the search engine since I've had that same target amount for 3-4 years now.

Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 17, 11:11 am

Both Personal Platinum and Business Platinum: Contributed to registry on 1/4, credit posted 1/7 (though shows a posting date of 1/6). $200 and $175 single payments. I had previously used one card for a $25 bag fee, hence the $175.
Old Jan 7, 17, 11:37 am

Switched airline with AMEX from AA (2016) to United (2017) on 1/2

Created United registry on 1/2.

Funded $50 to account with AMEX Platinum Business on 1/4.

Credit on 1/6 (although it showed up on my account on 1/7).
Old Jan 7, 17, 11:44 am

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Funded $100 in my UA registry with PRG Amex on 1/4.

Got charges of $100 and $1 from UA.

$100 credit from Amex on 1/7.

The $1 charge from UA still pending.

Anyone else get the $1 charge pending?
Old Jan 7, 17, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Funded $100 in my UA registry with PRG Amex on 1/4.

Got charges of $100 and $1 from UA.

$100 credit from Amex on 1/7.

The $1 charge from UA still pending.

Anyone else get the $1 charge pending?
I did too - I'm sure it will fall off.

When do the funds move to be available? 24 hours?
Old Jan 7, 17, 6:39 pm

registry credits $200 each for platinum and MB platinum posted two days after charges posted

Search this Thread