FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1812742-airline-fee-200-100-reimbursement-reports-ua-only-2017-2019-a.html)

747FC May 9, 2018 10:40 am

Originally Posted by SFOTerry (Post 29733977)

Also, I'm still waiting for a $50 award cancellation fee to be rebated (it's a little more than a month now) - I guess I will give them a call.

Im about to cancel an award and would appreciate a report of your experience.

eccentricfusion May 9, 2018 11:27 am

Originally Posted by SFOTerry (Post 29733977)
I just received an offer via email from United to purchase miles with a bonus "mystery miles offer". Does anyone think this purchase would qualify for the AMEX plat $200 rebate?

Also, I'm still waiting for a $50 award cancellation fee to be rebated (it's a little more than a month now) - I guess I will give them a call.

Got the same email. United miles are purchased through points.com which shouldn't trigger any reimbursement.

SFOTerry May 21, 2018 11:59 am

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 29734467)
I'm about to cancel an award and would appreciate a report of your experience.

I just called and the agent "Manually" refunded the $50.

Flying Machine Jun 2, 2018 4:21 pm

Wow five months into the new year and we don't have a resolution on this. I'm thinking UA just shut us down with travel bank

lbotez Jun 9, 2018 7:57 pm

I still have $100 left to spend on my Amex Business Plat card. Bought some food on my last flight to and from Hawaii on the plane, and that was credited, plus a suitcase check in round trip. But still only spent $100.

Was hoping I could put this on the travel bank, but it isn't looking good. They haven't got that set up yet, and it's already June 9th... Not sure I'm flying United again for awhile.

This really sucks. I probably will call and ask if I can switch to American (though have a feeling once you've used it on your "airline of choice," you're stuck).

quintic Jun 13, 2018 2:06 pm

I booked a mileage ticket on UA with 25usd close in fee and 5.60 tax, now I got reimbursed for 5.60 tax and I am stuck with UA for this year. Just called representative today, I wont be able to switch airline until next year coz I have used it.

747FC Jun 13, 2018 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by quintic (Post 29863223)
I booked a mileage ticket on UA with 25usd close in fee and 5.60 tax, now I got reimbursed for 5.60 tax and I am stuck with UA for this year. Just called representative today, I wont be able to switch airline until next year coz I have used it.

Have you inquired with Amex about the $25? Please let us know the result.

Kacee Jun 13, 2018 9:46 pm

UA reimbursements are just ridiculous at this point.

I've had two more change fees that were not reimbursed, but accrued MR at 5x. Okay, whatever. Then I had an award fee and an E+ fee that were each reimbursed twice.

That should mostly burn my AMEX Plat fee reimbursements for the year. Haven't decided where to credit my Aspire reimbursements yet.

747FC Jun 14, 2018 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 29864572)
UA reimbursements are just ridiculous at this point.

I've had two more change fees that were not reimbursed, but accrued MR at 5x. Okay, whatever. Then I had an award fee and an E+ fee that were each reimbursed twice.

That should mostly burn my AMEX Plat fee reimbursements for the year. Haven't decided where to credit my Aspire reimbursements yet.

Did you. Have a conversation with Amex about the fee not being reversed?

Kacee Jun 14, 2018 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 29865298)
Did you. Have a conversation with Amex about the fee not being reversed?

I don't have the energy. Pretty certain I'll burn the full credit anyway. If it's close at end of year, then I would call.

Bluebirdie Jun 16, 2018 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by quintic (Post 29863223)

Same boat here. Paid 75usd close in fee and 5.6 tax. Amex Plat only reimbursed 5.6.

TennisNoob Jun 17, 2018 1:08 pm

My 3rd complaint and 2nd time I've requested the mileage desk over in the Philippines to escalate. They too have no answer.

Is Amex credits supposed to reimburse the Tax portion or no?

freemanzhu Jun 19, 2018 11:11 am

Originally Posted by TennisNoob (Post 29876209)
My 3rd complaint and 2nd time I've requested the mileage desk over in the Philippines to escalate. They too have no answer.

Is Amex credits supposed to reimburse the Tax portion or no?

Was told by Amex customer service a few days ago that the terms for the benefit do NOT include reimbursements for taxes on awards. Award fees (e.g. for close-in bookings, phone bookings, redeposits, etc.) do seem to fall under the terms though.

Kacee Jun 20, 2018 12:03 am

Originally Posted by freemanzhu (Post 29883053)
Was told by Amex customer service a few days ago that the terms for the benefit do NOT include reimbursements for taxes on awards. Award fees (e.g. for close-in bookings, phone bookings, redeposits, etc.) do seem to fall under the terms though.

I've had taxes reimbursed my last two or three UA award tix.

AMEX's "terms" are basically meaningless when it comes to UA reimbursements at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if they started randomly reimbursing airfare.

alexperi Jun 20, 2018 1:17 am

Hi all. I have a fare booked in S class that I would like to change to W class in order to apply a GPU. I've spoken to United and the fare difference will be $75 (they said they would be willing to waive the change fee since I am a 1K).

Will this code as a reimbursable Amex fee? I asked the agent how it would get charged, and she seemed to think it would show up as airfare, not change fee. Anyone have experience about this kind of case?

Many thanks in advance for the help.