Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
One thing to keep in mind. You can't use Travel Bank funds on any tickets which don't have any non-UA operated segment.

So that makes the TravelBank as a store of value for future spending a lot less valuable.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:28 am
Suspended

Well my Platinum Amex fee came up so I had to cancel the card.

So much for early 2018 for UA Travel Bank.

Guy tried to get me not to cancel and asked why I hadn't used the $200 airline incidental expenses benefits. I didn't get into it with him.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by ncsuactor84FT
In December 2017 I upgraded my fiancee and I's flight to lie-flat business class for $300 a seat. It was an internationally configured 757 on a domestic route. I knew that it wasn't typically allowed in the exact terms of use for the credit, but I called up Amex anyways and kindly asked them if they'd be willing to apply the credit towards the purchase. I was totally honest with them and told them it was for a seat upgrade. They obliged and I got a $200 credit posted in a few days. I think Amex is trying to be more flexible with the credit so they can compete with Citi Prestige and Chase Sapphire Reserve.
That would be good! This restriction is really not making that credit useful at all.
But in a way, I also understand AMEX: a $200 amount that can be used for any airlines fees is just money that is lost.
In this case, they should just lower the annual fee by that amount...
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by wco81
...asked why I hadn't used the $200 airline incidental expenses benefits...
It's a reasonable question. At the very least, buy a SW gift card and sell it. It's much better than walking away with nothing, no?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:16 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by pallhedge
..buy a SW gift card and sell it..
Except this is the United thread.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
True but......while wco81 couldn't use the credit with United (apparently) he could have called AMEX and changed airline preference prior to closing his account so he wouldn't lose the opportunity to gain something from the $200 airline incidental expense credit. (I think that's the point Mr Yak was making.)
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:56 pm
Suspended

I rarely fly SW.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recently signed up for an Honors AMEX Aspire card that comes with $250 in reimbursable airline fees. In the past several years, I've had various AMEX Platinum cards, and have previously done the UA Gift Registry thing. Last year, I decided to do AA gift cards with my Plat cards. But for my Aspire card, I was thinking of going back to UA. From the recent comments, I see that the UA Gift Registry is down and the best alternative is this pet fee thing. Honestly, the pet thing sounds a bit sketchy, and I'd rather avoid it. Do we know anything about when the Registry might return? It seems like the kind of thing UA would be motivated to fix: after all, when people want to give you money, you tend to take it.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:23 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
...Do we know anything about when the Registry might return?....
UA website says "early 2018".
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
That doesn't sound too encouraging at this point.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
So you would prefer I didn't present any non-United options to those in this thread who would instead leave $200 on the table due to current issues with United's travel bank? I stand by my comment. It's completely appropriate here.

Last edited by pallhedge; Mar 14, 2018 at 6:49 am Reason: spelling error
Old Mar 14, 2018, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by wco81
I rarely fly SW.
My recommendation was to sell the $200 GC rather than walk away with nothing.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:39 am

I booked RT ORD-LGA, and after booking, was offered first class upgrade on the LGA-ORD leg for $119 each. Paid for it and was pleasantly surprised to just now discover that American Express credited it back to me as my airline fees credit. Didn't even think about it when I was booking. Coded as Category: Travel - Airline.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:55 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by Kacee
Paying a pet fee with intent to cancel and refund just to get a statement credit to me crosses the line.
Look at the bright side. At least a fake dog can't be killed.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Good bye AMEX Plat

Originally Posted by mia
Neither does UA or AMEX know the meaning of "early 2018" - it is mid march now.
I cancelled my AMEX as this was the only reason I was keeping the card was $200 UA credit.
Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.