Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:08 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lbotez
Really would like to know if you can buy passes to use later. ....
I would ask here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...time-pass.html
JHake10 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:08 pm

Question

Do you get reimbursed for in-flight wifi?

Edit: found my own answer.

• Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)

Last edited by avatarx; Nov 12, 2017 at 11:25 pm
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:13 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by avatarx
Do you get reimbursed for in-flight wifi?

Edit: found my own answer.

• Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees
However, on UA, unless your on a specific GoGo flight (UX and PS), the Internet is charged directly by UA and from my experience you'll get the credit. The below attachment were all Internet charges.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
Does E to FC count? Noticed someone say in Jan "17 that it did count but then nothing after.
It doesn't count. I guess somehow it is coded differently than an Economy+ seat. Annoyed I just spent $200 on an upgrade for a short hop flight!

United really needs to fix their website!
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:55 am

I had used $100 of my credit on United on my Platinum. I chatted and they were able to switch it to another airline even though some credit was used.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:57 am

Wanted to add a recent data point:

Purchased 2 economy plus upgrades for a total of ~380, $200 got credited 2 business days later. I was worried because the charge showed up as "preferred seat upgrade".
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I deposited $200 into my gift registry in June and never got reimbursed. Should I call AMEX?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by fsufan6000
I deposited $200 into my gift registry in June and never got reimbursed. Should I call AMEX?
Wouldn't make much sense to call since the UA gift registry is not a category that is reimbursable under the AMEX airline fee reimbursement offering.

To clarify though - you still have the entire $200 airline fee credit remaining for 2017?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by ferric
Would appreciate an update, trying to do the same thing on an EWR-SFO RT later this month. Amex chat said that it should work, I didn't screenshot it but if it fails you could always chat/screenshot/dispute
Update:
Econ to Econ+
$42 credited in 2 business days.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 1:08 pm

Does anyone know if United award cancellation (redeposit) fees are eligible for the airline credit with PRG?
Old Nov 17, 2017, 9:10 pm

I have a total of $375 to reimburse from 2 different cards.

1 more trip left for the year, already get Econ + and 2 bags per person. Don't have any plans to change or cancel flights.
I thought I could cover this at the end of the year with MPX, gift certificates, travel bank or gift registry but that has all been shut down. I was warned that baggage subscription might be denied? How about buying miles (hate to do that but better than loosing the $$)

Help!!!????
Old Nov 19, 2017, 11:13 am

Is Amex making this benefit so difficult to redeem that it is useless??

Originally Posted by avatarx

• Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees
I pack carefully and don't check extra bags beyond my status allotment, I don't change seats or flights, and don't care for the inflight food for purchase. And, the Centurion Lounge kicks the UAL Club's .......!

I don't understand the rational behind continuing to add more restrictions to this benefit when the Sapphire Reserve classifies anything "Travel Related" to qualitfy and does not even require the registering of a preferred airline?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by msk6261
I don't understand the rational behind continuing to add more restrictions to this benefit when the Sapphire Reserve classifies anything "Travel Related" to qualitfy and does not even require the registering of a preferred airline?
I mean it's quite simple, Amex is looking to maximize breakage on this benefit and Chase as the newcomer to the premium card for the masses space had to out do both Amex and Citi.

Platinum card holders have to do a bit more work to extract the value out of the benefit. Would I prefer Amex use a Chase style travel credit, or a Citi style airfare credit? Of course I would. But at the end of the day the Amex credit isn't *that* hard to make work.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by msk6261
AMEX can market a 200 credit and with a decent amount of breakage, doesn't have to pay out.

However, I use the credit mostly on Internet. United bills Internet as United Airlines (with PS and UX as an exception). That's one thing United has over other carriers.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:26 pm

So has the gift registry been officially declared dead yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.