Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:16 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by skyhome
I thought that you only can switch airline once a year in Jan...How did you make the switch? thx
If you have not had ANY airline expenses reimbursed in 2017 a customer service agent may allow you to change to another airline, if you ask politely and have a story about changing travel pattern.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by mia
If you have not had ANY airline expenses reimbursed in 2017 a customer service agent may allow you to change to another airline, if you ask politely and have a story about changing travel pattern.
I'd like to do that; however, I flew on UA a lot this year and am waiting for a 35% MR reimbursement (any day now); so I'm afraid I don't have a real good excuse.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: AA Gold
chatted with AMEX and they changed to Southwest, no issue. Rep was super quick and no questions.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 10:46 am

Anyone have any recommendations for what to used the travel credit for since this is dead? Besides checked bags and inflight wifi?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Sovietaced
Anyone have any recommendations for what to used the travel credit for since this is dead? Besides checked bags and inflight wifi?
Choose a different airline? If you don't want to switch, how about United Club membership or day passes?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:00 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I have about $100 of the fee reimbursement left to use and no use for the services. I read through and saw in-flight snack was credited. I don't see any exclusion for alcohol in the t&cs. I'm thinking I'll buy drinks for people around me on my last UA flight of the year. Should that credit? I read through this thread and didn't see any mention of on-board cocktail purchases.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Choose a different airline? If you don't want to switch, how about United Club membership or day passes?
It was a lot easier when the day passes were 50/each. Now they are 59/each. However, they are digital and good for year, so its a solid option.

Another option is upgrading to E+ on a flight.

Originally Posted by l'etoile
I have about $100 of the fee reimbursement left to use and no use for the services. I read through and saw in-flight snack was credited. I don't see any exclusion for alcohol in the t&cs. I'm thinking I'll buy drinks for people around me on my last UA flight of the year. Should that credit? I read through this thread and didn't see any mention of on-board cocktail purchases.
That will work. Before UA introduced the free food/beverage item for 1K/GS every flight, this is what I used most of my credits for.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 2:05 pm

Is there a way to buy a basic economy ticket, then use the credit to upgrade to a regular economy ticket, or buy an exit row seat? I’ve used $75 of my $200 this year, so it’s unlikely I’ll be able to switch.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ravisurdhar
Is there a way to buy a basic economy ticket, then use the credit to upgrade to a regular economy ticket, or buy an exit row seat? I’ve used $75 of my $200 this year, so it’s unlikely I’ll be able to switch.
You can't buy up to economy plus if you have a basic economy ticket.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ravisurdhar
"Hello, AMEX Customer Service Rep? This is Mr. Ravisudhar. I've recently switched companies which means that my travel patterns have changed quite a bit. Because of this, I will be flying AA almost exclusively for the next few months instead of UA. Would it be possible to obtain a one-time courtesy change of airlines for my AMEX Plat airline credit?"
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:28 pm

Got $50 credit left that would usually go into the travel bank if it were online. Since it's not online, I just upgraded my super-long 1hr 35min, SFO - LAS flight to Econ+, via UAL app. I'll update its progress.

And if the UAL travel bank ever goes back online, that $200 will be gone in one or two clicks. No more waiting around for issues like this to arise, like this months long maintenance thing.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by radiolarian
Got $50 credit left that would usually go into the travel bank if it were online. Since it's not online, I just upgraded my super-long 1hr 35min, SFO - LAS flight to Econ+, via UAL app. I'll update its progress.

And if the UAL travel bank ever goes back online, that $200 will be gone in one or two clicks. No more waiting around for issues like this to arise, like this months long maintenance thing.
Would appreciate an update, trying to do the same thing on an EWR-SFO RT later this month. Amex chat said that it should work, I didn't screenshot it but if it fails you could always chat/screenshot/dispute
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I have a couple of questions about buying United Club day passes using these Amex credits:
1. Do they get reimbursed only via the app, or also if you buy them in person at a club location?
2. Can you buy a pass and have your spouse use it?

Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by ferric
Would appreciate an update, trying to do the same thing on an EWR-SFO RT later this month. Amex chat said that it should work, I didn't screenshot it but if it fails you could always chat/screenshot/dispute
EWR-SFO in E+ now comes with a hot meal. Who doesn't love airline food

Originally Posted by alexperi
I have a couple of questions about buying United Club day passes using these Amex credits:
1. Do they get reimbursed only via the app, or also if you buy them in person at a club location?
2. Can you buy a pass and have your spouse use it?

Thanks for the help.
It wouldn't matter as both charges are coming from United Airlines and aren't for airfare.

When you purchase the passes via the app they are stored ... in the app. So that may be a bit challenging to give to your wife (unless your purchase through her account/app and use your CC).

When buying at the UC they just swipe your card and admit you entry. I don't think you can purchases passes at the desk for later use (I could be wrong though).
Old Nov 12, 2017, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10
When buying at the UC they just swipe your card and admit you entry. I don't think you can purchases passes at the desk for later use (I could be wrong though).
Really would like to know if you can buy passes to use later. I'm going to Hawaii next year and could use some extra passes with my leftover Amex credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.