Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Old Dec 29, 2019, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by GTITAN
All,

Pleased to report credit posted this morning.

Safe Travels

Did you have to wait for the Pet Fee to move from "Pending Transactions" before canceling the flight?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by johnathome
I just purchased day passes on the app and they show up as United Elec Ticketing for me. Worried that they are coded as perhaps tickets. Guess I will have to see.
Just an update, Amex credit posted today. Ended up showing correctly that they were day pass purchases.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum + Marriott Platinum
update on my own efforts, purchased 3 day passes via United app (as a single transaction) on 12/27, transaction posted as 3 individual charges. reimbursements posted on 12/30. processed three more purchases on a separate Amex Biz Plat card on 12/30... I hope those credits will be taken out of 2019 $200 balance... (likely to post on 01/02)...?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Advantage Gold, Amex Plat, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by wiivile
I really wish AMEX would loosen up its travel credit because it is no longer competitive with other issuers. The fact that there have been multiple public threads for years about how to game the credit is silly.

Anyway, if you do get credited for something like a pet fee, and the fee is ultimately refunded, the risk is that AMEX may try to claw it back, but at least that puts you at net $0, which is less risky to me than trying stuff that may or may not work to trigger the fee and being stuck with it, even if it's something relatively usable like travel credit.

I don't really see anywhere in the terms of this benefit though that AMEX can claw back reimbursements of fees that were ultimately refunded for whatever reason.
I totally agree, the effort required to use up the travel credits takes out some of the value. I now have 6 United Club passes that I really do not need given I have access to Centurion, Priority Pass and Delta lounges already. United must be singing all the way to the bank, selling hundreds of Club passes that would not otherwise have been bought at $59 a pop.

When my multiple AMEX cards come up for renewal, I will definitely have a decision to make.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:24 pm

Is it too late to purchase today. It’s 7:30 Pacific.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
Our baggage fees all got reimbursed, no movement yet on lounge pass. It did post in 2019, no longer pending. Assuming they do give credit, will it come from 2019 or 2020?
Old Jan 1, 2020, 8:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by UsernameChuck
.... It did post in 2019, no longer pending. Assuming they do give credit, will it come from 2019 or 2020?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion continues here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-ua-only.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.