Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2019, 7:01 pm

DP:
Purchased 2x Seat assignment on basic economy fares and 1x checked bag for each segment (RT) on 12/22. 6 separate posted transactions from United.com. All reimbursed today, 12/25.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 10:43 am

Has anyone received correct reimbursement on buying club passes directly from United app in 2019?
Old Dec 26, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by ceevee
Has anyone received correct reimbursement on buying club passes directly from United app in 2019?
I just bought a few lounge passes yesterday, charges are showing as pending. I purchased them on the app as well. Why should there be any concern?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I just bought a few lounge passes yesterday, charges are showing as pending. I purchased them on the app as well. Why should there be any concern?
I just purchased day passes on the app and they show up as United Elec Ticketing for me. Worried that they are coded as perhaps tickets. Guess I will have to see.
ceevee likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by johnathome
I just purchased day passes on the app and they show up as United Elec Ticketing for me. Worried that they are coded as perhaps tickets. Guess I will have to see.
I have the same codes you’re right let’s wait and see you could always call in because it’s a permitted purchase

Update: I just checked my online account while the charge was pending it showed united electronic ticketing. Now that the charge posted it showing United Airlines Houston Texas, and if you open the charge on your AMEX app it clearly says lounge /day pass. I’m assuming we just need to wait a few more days until they reverse the charges.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum + Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jasonfungsing
I just called United Club. Here is the answer

1. Annual membership can be purchased by only one credit card, payment can not be split into multiple cards.
2. One time pass can contribute to the annual membership fee if the one time pass purchased within 30 days. However, there is a limit of 1 pass and it only contributes $50(not the purchase price which is $59)

So, my solution will become, use part of 2019 $200 to buy 1 one time pass. Then after the new year, call United and purchase an annual membership, which will cost $650-50 = $600. Then Amex will credit back the $200 airline fees, end up paying $600-$200 = $400 out of pocket for the 1st year annual membership.
Two questions:
1. Did you ask United Club how Amex would code the transactions? I'm not being snarky, just trying to get clarity - how confident are you of their answer (particularly point #2 )?
2. Can you clarify your second point? Are you saying that United told you that Amex's reimbursement policy is such that they will only reimburse a maximum of 1 day pass, and only for $50 instead of the full value of $59?

It would seem to me (and what I have just done, will report DP back when I have it) that each Amex Platinum $200 credit should be good for 3 x 1 day pass for a total of $177. Right now they are pending as "United Elec Ticketng"
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:16 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by afurlong
.... Are you saying that United told you that Amex's reimbursement policy is such that they will only reimburse a maximum of 1 day pass, and only for $50 instead of the full value of $59?
No. United will credit $50 towards the price of an annual membership if you buy a day pass within 30 days prior to purchasing the membership. This is a UA offer, unrelated to reimbursement by American Express.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum + Marriott Platinum
thank you for clarifying that!
Old Dec 27, 2019, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by ceevee
Yes, I bought two United Club passes for $59 each on 12/16 via the United app and then was reimbursed for both on 12/22.

Anyone know if Priority Boarding can be purchased separately with a Basic Economy ticket ? If so, I think this would be a good strategy to get competitive fares while using the airline credits because you can book Basic Economy tickets, then pay for E+ seats and Priority Boarding.
ceevee likes this.

Last edited by steve4; Dec 27, 2019 at 8:19 pm
Old Dec 28, 2019, 1:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
The faqs say premier access is not available for basic economy.

But i was actually wondering the same thing. I am doubting that I'd need it, and I'm inclined to go for a day pass instead, but it seems like the kind of thing which turns out to be super helpful maybe 10% of the time.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 11:10 pm

Not reimbursed yet, but two United Club passes purchased with United app on Dec 26 posted on account as:

EDIT: Reimbursed on Dec 29:

Last edited by ceevee; Dec 30, 2019 at 12:20 pm Reason: update for reimbursement
Old Dec 29, 2019, 12:48 am

I have the same codes you’re right let’s wait and see you could always call in because it’s a permitted purchase

Update: I just checked my online account while the charge was pending it showed united electronic ticketing. Now that the charge posted it showing United Airlines Houston Texas, and if you open the charge on your AMEX app it clearly says lounge /day pass. I’m assuming we just need to wait a few more days until they reverse the charges.
Update: posted on December 25 credited on December 27. Thanks Amex
Old Dec 29, 2019, 1:22 am

United Club Pass

For those who purchased the one-time passes in-app, did you do both at the same time ($118) or two transactions at $59 each?
Old Dec 29, 2019, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Alex.Roams
For those who purchased the one-time passes in-app, did you do both at the same time ($118) or two transactions at $59 each?
On the app I purchased three at one time, they were issued as three separate charges, Along with three separate credits. All good
Old Dec 29, 2019, 1:41 am

On the app I purchased three at one time, they were issued as three separate charges, Along with three separate credits. All good
Many thanks! Happy new year and happy flying. :-)
Flying Machine likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.