Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by buckeyenut14
I havent purchased yet, i am saying my plat credit expires at the end of the month
Ok got you. So if that's all you can think of using this for then I would go ahead and purchase towards the end of this month and then you have a year to see of you're going to use them. If you think you won't ever use them I do know people who have successfully sold these passes on ebay and you can email them the pass as an attachment.

Have you considered changing to another airline where you can perhaps get better use of the credit?
Old Dec 12, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Damond, Amex
No

Edit. It didn't work..

Last edited by AirDream; Dec 17, 2019 at 3:14 pm
Old Dec 12, 2019, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by RFBMD
I understood that purchasing E+ (Economy plus) triggers the airline credit from Amex. UA airline tickets can be canceled for free within 24 hours of ticket purchasing.

If you first buy a UA regular economy air ticket, then add E+ seat using the Amex card, and then cancel the entire ticket within 24 hours for free, does it trigger and keep the airline credit for E+ purchase?

Is there such DP?
Yes. It works as you suggested.

In September, I had to cancel my Econ/Econ+ ticket for full refund and rebook at a later date.

The airline credit was never reversed.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by veryseablue
Hi,

Do you have to already booked an UA flight to add a pet fee? Thanks. Sorry if this sounds a stupid question.
Yes, I believe so
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:47 pm

Any DPs on award change/redeposit fees?
Old Dec 14, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Is there anything one can buy on Alaska to use up 180$ credit.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by nmenaker
Is there anything one can buy on Alaska to use up 180$ credit.
This is the UA reimbursement thread. Have you bothered to check this forum and wiki at the top of this thread to realize that AS has it's own thread? That's why nobody has bothered responding. I'll be even nicer and give you the link to AS and you should read the wiki and posts there prior to asking questions.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...orts-only.html
Old Dec 14, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by friedablass
This is the UA reimbursement thread. Have you bothered to check this forum and wiki at the top of this thread to realize that AS has it's own thread? That's why nobody has bothered responding. I'll be even nicer and give you the link to AS and you should read the wiki and posts there prior to asking questions.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...orts-only.html
My appoligies, I've been on this thread so long I forgot it was the UA only and not just the AX thread.

but thanks for the link and being well,..
Old Dec 16, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: MR
what are the pet fee refund policy?

Do you need to do it within 24 hours or can it be done anytime before flight departure?

if I book a refundable flight, will the pet fee (added on after the fact for amex credit) be also be fully refundable?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 5:18 am

I still got my $200 from platinum. I am think of getting 3 passes, which cost $59*3 = $177. If I don’t use those 3 passes, wait till it’s 2020, can I purchase the annual membership which cost $650 and put those 3 passes as credit into the annual purchase, which means it will charge to my card $650-$177=$473. Then I will get $200 back from Amex, end up $473-$200=$273 for the annual membership?

will this work?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 6:29 am

Thanks so much.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 6:46 am

Thanks a lot for the helpful replies. Really like thread. Through reading the threads, look like the best way to use the credit is buying a refundable ticket, or ticket to be cancelled within 24 hours, then use Amex card to buy seat upgrade, so after ticket cancellation, the credit won;t be reversed? Please kindly educate me if this is workable? Also I am a little confused here, if I cancel the ticket within 24 hours, will the seat upgrade automatically be cancelled as well, or I have to cancel it separately? As the credit may take some time to post, does the quick cancellation have any issue to trigger the credit? Thanks again for any input. If this method works, I guess it's much better than buying the expensive pass.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by jasonfungsing
I still got my $200 from platinum. I am think of getting 3 passes, which cost $59*3 = $177. If I don’t use those 3 passes, wait till it’s 2020, can I purchase the annual membership which cost $650 and put those 3 passes as credit into the annual purchase, which means it will charge to my card $650-$177=$473. Then I will get $200 back from Amex, end up $473-$200=$273 for the annual membership?

will this work?
I just called United Club. Here is the answer

1. Annual membership can be purchased by only one credit card, payment can not be split into multiple cards.
2. One time pass can contribute to the annual membership fee if the one time pass purchased within 30 days. However, there is a limit of 1 pass and it only contributes $50(not the purchase price which is $59)

So, my solution will become, use part of 2019 $200 to buy 1 one time pass. Then after the new year, call United and purchase an annual membership, which will cost $650-50 = $600. Then Amex will credit back the $200 airline fees, end up paying $600-$200 = $400 out of pocket for the 1st year annual membership.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Hi all,

Lookinng for critique of what I did incorrectly here:

1. 12/1119 purchased ticket with non-Amex CC
2. 12/11/19 after purchase ticketed purchased pet fees with Amex as add on Biz Plt
3. 12/12/19 canceled flight and pet fee canceled with it automatically.
4. Pet dee posted on 12/12/19.
5. UA refunded pet fee on 12/13/19

No reimbursement of pet fee. Any thoughts as to what I should have done differently?

Safe Travels
Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by GTITAN
Hi all,

Lookinng for critique of what I did incorrectly here:

1. 12/1119 purchased ticket with non-Amex CC
2. 12/11/19 after purchase ticketed purchased pet fees with Amex as add on Biz Plt
3. 12/12/19 canceled flight and pet fee canceled with it automatically.
4. Pet dee posted on 12/12/19.
5. UA refunded pet fee on 12/13/19

No reimbursement of pet fee. Any thoughts as to what I should have done differently?

Safe Travels
You may have to wait a bit longer? Previous DP showed that it took up to and over a week for the credit to hit. Could you please keep us updated?

Amex is really making this a pain in the butt. Definitely not going to do this again next year.
GTITAN likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.