Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by veryseablue
Hi Guys,
I still have $80 credit left on my Amex gold card, since I won't be able to use this before the year end, do I get credit if buying UA lounge pass ($59) using UA app? Also does the pass itself have an expiration date? Kindly let me know if there is other creative use to get the credit? Thanks so much. First time posting a question, long time lurker on this forum, but just registered an account.
Welcome to FT .

Yes you should get credit and they expire in 1 year.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by givingitatry
Did you buy the passes? I was thinking the same thing. I have the united explorer card and used my 2 free passes with my kids last week in Hawaii and was going to pay for 3rd pass but front desk attendant told me Happy Thanksgiving and let the 3 of in on two passes.

Do the day passes expire like the free passes with the Explore card?

Thanks
I haven't yet. I currently have 4 passes that I haven't used yet so I'm not sure if this makes sense for me personally. I will probably do it anyway. Even if they expire in a year, it at least gives me a possibility of getting value from these stupid unusable credits.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 9:29 am

Thanks a lot. Guess buying a pass is the only choice before leaving the credit on the table.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by themishmans
I haven't yet. I currently have 4 passes that I haven't used yet so I'm not sure if this makes sense for me personally. I will probably do it anyway. Even if they expire in a year, it at least gives me a possibility of getting value from these stupid unusable credits.
Thanks for the reply. I did look into it and they do expire after 1 year.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 3:27 pm

Just added 2x pet itineraries on a one way domestic segment for $250 total on one Aspire card.

I plan to cancel in 22 hours, then shortly after add those itineraries again on a second Aspire card, cancelling again in 22 hours. Will report back with data points.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 8:39 pm

Hi,

Do you have to already booked an UA flight to add a pet fee? Thanks. Sorry if this sounds a stupid question.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: Southwest, SPG, Marriott, UR & Amex
Thank you! Will post an updated DP soon.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 3:31 pm

Thumbs up TAP / STAR ALLIANCE $200 (x2) Platinum Amex Reimbursement Travel Credit

Wife and I have two separate Platinum Accounts, whats the best way to get the travel credit to apply towards flights on TAP?

$200 for 2019 remaining
$400 for 2020

Thinking buy gift card now and then book tavel on January 1st using multiple payments to get the charge amount below $200 to trigger credit.

Anyone have experience? Thank you!
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:01 pm

Assuming u are talking about USA amex plat, TAP is not one of the airline choices available for the $200 benefit
Old Dec 9, 2019, 4:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The only Star Alliance carrier eligible for the airline fee reimbursement benefit is United Airlines. You cannot buy UA gift cards, because they do not sell them. Also, American Express no longer reimburses gift card purchases from any airline.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:07 pm

Could I book UA with multiple forms of payment to trigger the credit?

Yes, USA based Amex Platinum.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by TravelingFun
Could I book UA with multiple forms of payment to trigger the credit?

Yes, USA based Amex Platinum.
I did not think that split payment scenario works on UA.

Safe Travels
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:12 pm

Anyone have experience selling passes on Ebay? I see some sold in the past but am not going to be at a lounge before the end of the year so app purchase is all I got. Anyone know if it is possible to put these up for sale? Anything is better than nothing.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by buckeyenut14
Anyone have experience selling passes on Ebay? I see some sold in the past but am not going to be at a lounge before the end of the year so app purchase is all I got. Anyone know if it is possible to put these up for sale? Anything is better than nothing.
When did you buy them? They should expire 1 year from purchase date not at the end of the year.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by friedablass
When did you buy them? They should expire 1 year from purchase date not at the end of the year.
I havent purchased yet, i am saying my plat credit expires at the end of the month

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.