Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:43 am

Anyone book a flight with a United Travel Options Bundle and get reimbursed ? I think this is a new add-on feature by United which includes different combinations of the following:
  • Economy Plus seating
  • A standard checked bag
  • Premier Access
  • A United Club℠ trip pass
  • Extra award miles

Thanks.
linus809 likes this.

Last edited by steve4; Sep 2, 2019 at 10:03 am Reason: Clarification
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:55 am

Does UA Wifi qualify for reimbursed AMEX travel credit?

Hi,
I will fly from EWR to HKG this month, I have $200 travel credit from my Amex platinum nothing can use.
does Panasonic Wifi reimburse AMEX travel credit?
Thank you
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:12 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, Edward Kong

The equipment used by UA for wifi does not impact the AMEX reimbursement for WiFi fees.

There is a thread in the AMEX forum, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...s-ua-only.html that addresses your query directly and the answer is yes.

Will move your post to the AMEX forum where you can join the discussion there.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
If your asking about Panasonic Wifi aboard United flights, then yes it will be reimbursed. Regardless of what system is used aboard the aircraft, passengers see it as "United WiFi" and billed to the CC as United WiFi.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by Ketawa
Correct, neither of my one-way Economy flights were reimbursed and both were booked with UA miles. I have since had the remaining balance of $138.00 reimbursed for my second Economy Plus purchase. FWIW, both award flights were between the United States and Europe.
I'm assuming you managed your seat upgrade through the UA site or was it on LH?
Old Sep 24, 2019, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
I just booked an award flight to SE Asia and got reimbursed for the ~$20 taxes/fees AND $29 preferred seat selection. So it appears award fees work.....at least sub-$100 level. Fortunately United seems to bill all their award fees as separate items.
Originally Posted by Ketawa
8/6 - Chose United on Amex Hilton Honors Aspire.
8/6 - A couple hours later, booked one-way Economy award flight, one segment operated by Lufthansa, $96.93 in fees/taxes. This was never credited.
8/13 - Booked one-way Economy award flight, $40.10 in fees/taxes.
8/13 - Paid $112.00 for Economy Plus upgrade on second flight in separate transaction.
8/16 - Meter went down and credit issued for $112.00 Economy Plus upgrade only.
8/16 - Paid $169.00 for Economy Plus upgrade on first flight in separate transaction.
8/18 - Credit issued for remaining $138.00 balance.

I didn't have any luck getting the credit to work for the fees/taxes on my award flights. Both award flights were international between the United States and Europe.
These two data points seem to conflict at the first glimpse... I wonder if the operating airlines (even all booked via UA miles) make any difference? I assume the low fee/tax to SE Asia was on UA metal, while the US-Europe flights were on LH and another non-UA carrier?
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: All of them
I can now give a counter-data point. I have since booked a few more UA award flights with sub-$100 taxes/fees and didn't get any reimbursement. Seems to be inconsistent, or they simply tightened the screws in the past few months and closed all loopholes.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally booked SFO-HNL in economy, paid for... Then upgraded using the website offer from Economy to Business. Paid as upgrade fare. The processing details on AMEX site shows upgrade as a keyword, but no credits. This is sooo annoyinggg.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Quick question, anyone have success with lounge passes? I thought I read that in the thread but I just scanned back a few pages and I couldnt find it.. Thanks
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:56 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Lounge day passes and memberships should be reimbursed. Last discussion was in March, but it's a discussion not a report. Also listed in Wikipost.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH D, MAR PLT EL LT
Thinking of trying a different approach to getting 2 calendar years worth of credits against an E+ subscription pass.

I am not status and have no plans to fly enough to re-earn status on United. But a 6'0" flying is generally torture without E+.

I have a few flights coming up and planned, probably 5 - 6 round trips in the next 6 months and could throw a few more in there to take advantage, and at just around $100 per segment buying E+ seats, it hardly seems worth it. But a handful of flights and you are already at the value of an E+ subscription.

I still have yet to use my AMEX Aspire $250 Airline credit yet for this year. So was thinking of using that credit to by the NA & CA version of the pass, as I have flights planned in the US and in the Caribbean and Canada over the next 6 months, but next year with a new AMEX Aspire credit I would upgrade to the Global one for some Global flights planned.

Has anyone done an upgrade of the subscription, over 2 calendar years to, optimize their allocation of $500 (2X$250) towards the $799 Global Annual pass (less any lost value on the initial pass between the time of initial purchase and the upgrade purchase)?

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 28, 2019, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Kacee
The CSR was confused. That's a cabin upgrade, not a seat purchase. It should not trigger AMEX credit.

It's helpful to keep in mind that air fare and cabin upgrade fees are ordinarily not covered. That's per the T&C. E+ purchase, on the other hand, is preferred seat and should always be covered. I would call AMEX if it did not trigger a credit.
What the terms say and what the computer does are two totally different things.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
I'm assuming you managed your seat upgrade through the UA site or was it on LH?
Through the UA site.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Should a hefty $200 change fee go through okay?
Old Oct 3, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by moe8555
Should a hefty $200 change fee go through okay?
Change fees are covered as per the official policy, so it should, and if it doesn't, you should call.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.