Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:56 am

Premium plus upgrade

Has anyone tried to use the AMEX airline credit toward the premium plus upgrades on UA? I know they just rolled these seats out recently but just wondering if their were any data points on this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
I got an award ticket for someone else, and upgraded the seat ($15) using AMEX. I ended up canceling that ticket; United refunded me the $15 while at the same time AMEX credited me $15. Possible convoluted workaround - but note with my status I can cancel award tickets for free, others have to pay.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grapenut
Saw the recent AA data points with gift cards working so maybe some changes afoot with UA.
Whether an AA gift cards works is totally dependent on how AA codes the purchase. Those gift cards that "worked" were coded not as gift card purchases, those gift cards that "didn't work" were coded as gift card purchases, and that's why they didn't work.

So any changes to whether gift cards work at AA is due to AA's purchase coding, and has nothing to do with any changes at Amex.

So I don't see why changes to AA's purchase coding would have anything to do with competitor UA.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Bonvoy something
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Whether an AA gift cards works is totally dependent on how AA codes the purchase. Those gift cards that "worked" were coded not as gift card purchases, those gift cards that "didn't work" were coded as gift card purchases, and that's why they didn't work.

So any changes to whether gift cards work at AA is due to AA's purchase coding, and has nothing to do with any changes at Amex.

So I don't see why changes to AA's purchase coding would have anything to do with competitor UA.
My mistake, i didn't actually read how the AA items were coded as AA is not relevant to my flight plans. Was merely throwing a reference out there that something else that previously didn't work was processing differently. You can now be less confused.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:59 am

So I currently I have $100 in Amex "airline fee credit" and AA is my selected airline. It sounds like I can't buy a gift card, so I was thinking of switching to UA because I have a bunch of upcoming UA flights. However, it's not clear to me which charges I can use this for, other than E+ and baggage. Is onboard wifi covered? I already have UA silver so I get free bags and seats, but I'd love wifi. I never fly Delta so I don't want to switch to them.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
Originally Posted by giblet
So I currently I have $100 in Amex "airline fee credit" and AA is my selected airline. It sounds like I can't buy a gift card, so I was thinking of switching to UA because I have a bunch of upcoming UA flights. However, it's not clear to me which charges I can use this for, other than E+ and baggage. Is onboard wifi covered? I already have UA silver so I get free bags and seats, but I'd love wifi. I never fly Delta so I don't want to switch to them.
Not sure you can switch from current AA designation to UA (typically selection done at end of year)... but if you managed to do so, some wifi options on UA will be reimbursed. If the portal is through Gogo, it will not be reimbursed. For non-Gogo purchases, I've had it refunded.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:25 pm

They usually let you switch around once a year if you ask nicely.

I'm interested in the LHR-EWR route, which looks like it is provided by Panasonic. Would that be a qualifying charge?

Last edited by giblet; Jun 24, 2019 at 12:50 pm
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Will $200 airline reimbursement fee cover United Club membership for 1 day for guest

I am flying LAX-LAS and have 3 guests traveling with me

I have a UC membership, so I know I can only enter with 2 guests for free

I havent spent much of my $200 airline credit w/United, so just figured to use my AmEx and it will be covered for guest #3

Is this correct?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Looking at the United Club rules, there does not seem to be a separate provision for additional guests. Instead, you would be purchasing a one-time pass for the third person, and that should be reimbursed.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Looking at the United Club rules, there does not seem to be a separate provision for additional guests. Instead, you would be purchasing a one-time pass for the third person, and that should be reimbursed.
Yes,exactly.

I can bring in 2 guests at no charge, and want to make sure AmEx will reimburse me for the 3rd guest's day pass
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:57 pm

Any recent data points for E+ seat purchases? Currently, have WN selected on my Personal Platinum and will plead with AMEX CS to allow me to switch to UA. But before I do, I'd like to know that E+ upgrades (added after initial ticket purchase) will be reimbursed. Afraid that the late-June changes to WN may carry over to UA somehow.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:53 pm

It appears E+ seats do trigger the credit. I’m taking a trip to Mumbai for business this year. I contact the CSR to ask if I purchased the new united premium plus seats (separate purchase from the plane ticket) if it would trigger the credit. He said yes but until I get the credit, I can’t know for sure. Hopefully it does.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by EC2019
It appears E+ seats do trigger the credit. I’m taking a trip to Mumbai for business this year. I contact the CSR to ask if I purchased the new united premium plus seats (separate purchase from the plane ticket) if it would trigger the credit. He said yes but until I get the credit, I can’t know for sure. Hopefully it does.
keep us posted, that would be an interesting upgrade
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by chillin2345
Any recent data points for E+ seat purchases? Currently, have WN selected on my Personal Platinum and will plead with AMEX CS to allow me to switch to UA. But before I do, I'd like to know that E+ upgrades (added after initial ticket purchase) will be reimbursed. Afraid that the late-June changes to WN may carry over to UA somehow.
Added an E+ seat (after ticketing) for SFO-ORD. Charge was posted on June 19 and reimbursed on June 22.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EC2019
I’m taking a trip to Mumbai for business this year. I contact the CSR to ask if I purchased the new united premium plus seats (separate purchase from the plane ticket) if it would trigger the credit. He said yes but until I get the credit, I can’t know for sure. Hopefully it does.

The CSR was confused. That's a cabin upgrade, not a seat purchase. It should not trigger AMEX credit.

It's helpful to keep in mind that air fare and cabin upgrade fees are ordinarily not covered. That's per the T&C. E+ purchase, on the other hand, is preferred seat and should always be covered. I would call AMEX if it did not trigger a credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.