Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:09 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Gold | Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mia
If you use Search this Thread with the keyword membership you will find reports like THIS:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30151885-post593.html
I can confirm that the United Club membership was reimbursed (up to the full $200 fee credit) by my Platinum card again when I renewed the membership in September 2018.
mia likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: United, Delta, Southwest
Just received $100 credit on $599 E+ Subscription. Credit took about 3 days before it showed up.

Charge was coded as "Seat Upgrade Fee"
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:42 am

I purchased a $799 economy plus subscription (membership) this month (February 2019) and was credited the full $250 from my Amex Hilton Aspire card within about 3 days. Looks like it was coded as "Preferred Seat Upgrade."
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Updated wiki to reflect three distinct reports of E+ annual subscription reimbursement:

"In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade".
mia and FlyingHighlander like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by mc0107
Guys, youre all getting bent out of shape for nothing over this TravelBank stuff. Book a ticket with whatever credit card you want on United. Wait 10 minutes for the ticket to confirm. Then, add a pet for $125 each way and pay with your Amex. Wait an hour or so. Cancel ticket (pet charges cancel automatically at the same time. Watch your Amex for a credit a day or two later.

NB that you cant book a pet on all flights. Try routes with ERJ 145s since they dont have a first class cabin. I find that works best.
Does this still works?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Javier1704

Does this still works?
sooo,

I tried this with my Gold and got the reimbursement. Waiting on United refund to see if Amex reverses the credit.

If Amex take it back, I will just choose the travel credit instead.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

sooo,

I tried this with my Gold and got the reimbursement. Waiting on United refund to see if Amex reverses the credit.

I don't think AMEX will recoup the credit.

What do you mean by "choose the travel credit instead"?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I don't think AMEX will recoup the credit.

What do you mean by "choose the travel credit instead"?
Have the ticket and pet fees reimbursed as a United credit for future travel. Your cards will be charged and amex will never know that you cancel. Buy United tickets using that.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:11 am

sooo,

Keep us updated. Thank you.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond

Have the ticket and pet fees reimbursed as a United credit for future travel. Your cards will be charged and amex will never know that you cancel. Buy United tickets using that.
Were you given the option to get a travel credit instead of a refund when you canceled?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Oxymore
Were you given the option to get a travel credit instead of a refund when you canceled?
Yep!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:30 pm

Yep!
That's great. I once tried to do something similar with JetBlue, but they'll give you credit for the airfare, but only a refund the incidentals.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Oxymore
That's great. I once tried to do something similar with JetBlue, but they'll give you credit for the airfare, but only a refund the incidentals.
Even if cancelled within 24 hours?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Even if cancelled within 24 hours?
Precisely when cancelled within 24 hours: you can choose between a credit and a refund for the airfare, but incidentals are refund only.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Anyone know if Amex considers preferred seating charges (not E+, the new "front of cabin" seats) as part of the airline credit?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.