Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by mia
Understood, but I disagree with your conclusion -and- I am asking if you could paste the link that you mentioned in your original post.
For what it's worth, the gift registry page still displays the message that the "registry is unavailable":

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...tRegistry.aspx
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by thomasengland
As an additional data point, I upgraded two seats from Economy to Economy Plus. (Seats were award flights using KrisFlyer, logged in with the booking code, change seats, selected economy plus and paid for the upgrades with amex plat). Each seat was $96. reimbursed for both.
Does anyone else have a data point for upgrading to economy plus? We have flights Veterans Day weekend that would chew through the full $250 the Hilton Aspire offers if that's the case.
Originally Posted by mia
Link? The feature discussed in this thread is the Gift Registry which was designed as a way for other people to deposit funds in your Travel Bank. I don't see how the Chase card will replace that function.
Understood how it was used in the past, but going forward it appears to be different. I was also directed to the marketing of United's TravelBank credit card when accessing the TravelBank portion of my account.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by OATS09
Does anyone else have a data point for upgrading to economy plus? We have flights Veterans Day weekend that would chew through the full $250 the Hilton Aspire offers if that's the case.
Welcome to FT! There are a lot of datapoints throughout this thread, the most recent was about 30 posts ago. That being said, I can also confirm that I had E+ charges credited.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by eeflyer
Welcome to FT! There are a lot of datapoints throughout this thread, the most recent was about 30 posts ago. That being said, I can also confirm that I had E+ charges credited.
Thanks.

I REALLY want E+ to work but I'd be putting all of my eggs in one basket. It's something we're buying anyway so that's the best return you can get (rather than something fancy you wouldn't have normally bought - which is nice too). But there's so many conflicting things in this thread from a wide range of dates that aren't linear that I'm considering putting my eggs in something that I know works rather than putting myself into an all or nothing situation.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:20 am

E+ has worked a few times for me. 3 weeks ago the most recent time.

Upgrading to Domestic First does not get reimbursed, though.
ceevee likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, UA Gold
E+ worked for me the last time I purchased it, which was in mid-2017.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:34 pm

I have a family member with amex gold on UA and no upcoming flights scheduled. What is the best way to use the $100 credit? Is it possible to buy 4 years of united club ahead of time?

On the more tricky side of things: What if my family member cancel the card then a couple days later ask to have the card reopened. Would this allow the airline selection again?

Last edited by uPantcho; Oct 22, 2018 at 9:34 pm Reason: fee->credit
Old Oct 22, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by uPantcho
I have a family member with amex gold on UA and no upcoming flights scheduled. What is the best way to use the $100 credit? Is it possible to buy 4 years of united club ahead of time?

On the more tricky side of things: What if my family member cancel the card then a couple days later ask to have the card reopened. Would this allow the airline selection again?
If the family member hasn't used any of their travel credit on UA this year, tell the family member to call AMEX and ask for a one time "courtesy" to switch airlines now. If the rep asks why, explain that travel patterns have changed and the person now flies Delta, American, whatever, more often and would like to be able to make use of the travel credit this year.

I would not advise canceling the card and then trying to re-open it again on the off-chance that it allows one to re-select the airline of choice.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
E+ has worked a few times for me. 3 weeks ago the most recent time.

Upgrading to Domestic First does not get reimbursed, though.
So E+ worked for you just recently? Were you on a domestic flight? Does it matter what browser you use? (I know mobile devices are likely to NOT work but I wonder if specific browser has anything to do with it.) I may give this a whirl and go all or nothing.

...and of course report back here.

We have four total travelers, one way from North Carolina, through Texas, to Australia. By my calculations that's around $1,000 in E+ upgrades. lol
I think I'm gonna tell my wife to log in and select UA. Wish me luck!
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
So E+ worked for you just recently? Were you on a domestic flight? Does it matter what browser you use? (I know mobile devices are likely to NOT work but I wonder if specific browser has anything to do with it.) I may give this a whirl and go all or nothing.

...and of course report back here.

We have four total travelers, one way from North Carolina, through Texas, to Australia. By my calculations that's around $1,000 in E+ upgrades. lol
I think I'm gonna tell my wife to log in and select UA. Wish me luck!
That's a long trip. Are you going to check bags? Buy food/drinks onboard the flight? If so, you'll use up a good chunk of your AMEX credit even if the E+ seat fees don't register for a statement credit.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
That's a long trip. Are you going to check bags? Buy food/drinks onboard the flight? If so, you'll use up a good chunk of your AMEX credit even if the E+ seat fees don't register for a statement credit.
Short answer is no, E+ or bust. International trips allow two bags per person (which we won't use), Priority Pass gets us food for the domestic leg, and the international leg has several meals and drinks (even some alcohol for free) and then Priority Pass again in Sydney - there's two restaurants we'll have access to. I guess worst case scenario and this goes bust, we'll be buying $250 worth of crap between the two flights and go down in style. lol

If this does go bust, can I elect anything at the kiosk when I check in if it asks if I want to buy miles or anything of that sort? Anyone have any data points for that? Full disclosure I haven't looked beyond the last two or three pages.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:37 am

Domestic. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30204833-post609.html
I used the website to do it, but not sure that would matter.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:21 pm

My E+ charges were for international flights with the seats selected and paid for on UA's website. Credits auto-posted.

Even if you face issues with the credits auto-posting, E+ by definition is a preferred seat selection fee, not a class upgrade. That should clearly fit into the terms and I don't see AmEx arguing it. YMMV though.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by eeflyer
My E+ charges were for international flights with the seats selected and paid for on UA's website. Credits auto-posted.

Even if you face issues with the credits auto-posting, E+ by definition is a preferred seat selection fee, not a class upgrade. That should clearly fit into the terms and I don't see AmEx arguing it. YMMV though.
That's a really good point. It is all still economy and you might could be able to argue it, or at a minimum by the time you call and talk to three different reps, one of them might agree with you. Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:54 am

Amex Airline Credit for United

can you get amex credit for duty free items on united flights - if united is your selected airline with American express. I still have $194 to use

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.