Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: presario1626
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
There's an option to apply the TravelBank funds once you reach the payment page on the website. (Just did a dummy booking to confirm that it's still there.) It's just above the section where you would enter your credit card information, same page.
Historically, it noted that funds not used for a think 2 years would be paid out in check form. Has that language changed, and if so why wouldn't it apply to prior deposits?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:35 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

My United Travel Bank page finally has a new look. It was "unavailable" for over a year. Has anyone used an Amex yet to see if that still works?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
My United Travel Bank page finally has a new look. It was "unavailable" for over a year. Has anyone used an Amex yet to see if that still works?
Still unavailable. To quote:

“We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details.”
Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
As a data point, I flew my dog in cabin from EWR / CDG and AMEX posted the credit for that.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:35 am

As an additional data point, I upgraded two seats from Economy to Economy Plus. (Seats were award flights using KrisFlyer, logged in with the booking code, change seats, selected economy plus and paid for the upgrades with amex plat). Each seat was $96. reimbursed for both.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: MP Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Gasolin
As a data point, I flew my dog in cabin from EWR / CDG and AMEX posted the credit for that.
How did you add your dog to the reservation? I don't see an option for that after already having booked the ticket. Did you do it at the time of booking, and did it show up as a separate charge on your Amex?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:58 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Does anyone know if United Club membership would have $200 reimbursed?
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes it would.

Does anyone know if you can split payment between 2 cards to pay for my UC membership? I've got about $120 left of my $200 from AMEX--and no other ways to spend it before the year ends. The rest I want to put on my company card.

And just making sure this still works. Thanks, y'all!
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
United website now has new design, and the link to Travelbank now takes you directly to Travelbank Chase card application. It seems the only way to earn cash in Travelbank now is through Chase card. Time has finally come to move on.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by presario1626
United website now has new design, and the link to Travelbank now takes you directly to Travelbank Chase card application. It seems the only way to earn cash in Travelbank now is through Chase card. Time has finally come to move on.
thats pointless because who’s going to put credit into Travel Bank unless Chase cards give you credit like Amex?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:50 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....link to Travelbank now takes you directly to Travelbank Chase card application.....
Link? The feature discussed in this thread is the Gift Registry which was designed as a way for other people to deposit funds in your Travel Bank. I don't see how the Chase card will replace that function.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by mia
Link? The feature discussed in this thread is the Gift Registry which was designed as a way for other people to deposit funds in your Travel Bank. I don't see how the Chase card will replace that function.
My original post was just pointing out using UA TravelBank for AMEX travel reimbursement is officially dead, as it seems Chase is the only card works with TravelBank now.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... as it seems....
Understood, but I disagree with your conclusion -and- I am asking if you could paste the link that you mentioned in your original post.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA Platinum (but I also just pay for upgrades if I want them)
I purchased a United day pass on the app to use for future travel and used the Amex travel credit that I allocated to United and the reimbursement worked!
financialhippie likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by ckidder331
I purchased a United day pass on the app to use for future travel and used the Amex travel credit that I allocated to United and the reimbursement worked!
Good to know. The thought of paying $59 for a day pass makes me sick, but if I get to the end of the year still with around that remaining I guess it's an option.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA Platinum (but I also just pay for upgrades if I want them)
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Good to know. The thought of paying $59 for a day pass makes me sick, but if I get to the end of the year still with around that remaining I guess it's an option.
yeah i just got the card so this was an easy sell for me this year
will need to research better next year though
FlyingHighlander likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.