Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 9, 19, 9:21 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: presario1626
Wiki Link
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 15, 18, 10:55 pm
  #511  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: IAH
Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Plat
Posts: 4,040
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
That doesn't sound too encouraging at this point.
Watch it come back and this no longer works
TennisNoob is offline  
Old Mar 16, 18, 10:51 am
  #512  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Menlo Park, CA, USA
Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Posts: 6,593
Originally Posted by manda99 View Post
I booked RT ORD-LGA, and after booking, was offered first class upgrade on the LGA-ORD leg for $119 each. Paid for it and was pleasantly surprised to just now discover that American Express credited it back to me as my airline fees credit. Didn't even think about it when I was booking. Coded as Category: Travel - Airline.
yes, any sort of seat upgrade or change to say E+ for a non-prem that would have a charge gets this credit. Even if it is done all together with a ticket reservation.
nmenaker is offline  
Old Mar 16, 18, 1:08 pm
  #513  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 5,459
Originally Posted by nmenaker View Post
yes, any sort of seat upgrade or change to say E+ for a non-prem that would have a charge gets this credit. Even if it is done all together with a ticket reservation.
Not quite true. Upgrades to a different class are specifically called out in the T&C's as not qualifying airline incidental expenses:

"Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees."

Receiving the statement credit when paying for an upgrade to F/J is a YMMV situation.
Diplomatico is offline  
Old Mar 16, 18, 1:37 pm
  #514  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
Posts: 570
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
Look at the bright side. At least a fake dog can't be killed.
As a real dog owner, I never thought of that method and the more I think about it, the more I think it's crazy but!!! I have to say it's "smart".
Gasolin is offline  
Old Mar 25, 18, 10:58 pm
  #515  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 472
Would a United Economy Plus subscription be eligible for this credit?
JaysonW is offline  
Old Apr 7, 18, 8:29 pm
  #516  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 180
I’m still not seeing the Gift Registry. Anyone have any ideas on how to recoup the credit? Thanks!
christof is offline  
Old Apr 7, 18, 10:10 pm
  #517  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 336
Originally Posted by christof View Post
Iím still not seeing the Gift Registry. Anyone have any ideas on how to recoup the credit? Thanks!
Use it on another airline that has better options for the credit. The gift registry has been down for months.
eccentricfusion is offline  
Old Apr 9, 18, 11:32 pm
  #518  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 180
Originally Posted by eccentricfusion View Post
Use it on another airline that has better options for the credit. The gift registry has been down for months.
I wish I could, but it looks like I canít change the airline until January of next year.
christof is offline  
Old Apr 10, 18, 2:52 am
  #519  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 336
Originally Posted by christof View Post

I wish I could, but it looks like I canít change the airline until January of next year.
If you haven't used any of the credit, you can call and ask them to do a change as a one time favor.
Diplomatico likes this.
eccentricfusion is offline  
Old Apr 10, 18, 3:58 am
  #520  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 5,459
Originally Posted by christof View Post

I wish I could, but it looks like I canít change the airline until January of next year.
Call. AMEX will change if for you.
Diplomatico is offline  
Old Apr 10, 18, 7:43 am
  #521  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 41,357
Yes, call to request a change, but do not mention the UA Gift Registry as a reason. Gift Registry deposits are not eligible for reimbursement. This only worked because American Express' automated system mistook the deposits for eligible fees.
mia is offline  
Old Apr 12, 18, 12:32 pm
  #522  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 180
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Yes, call to request a change, but do not mention the UA Gift Registry as a reason. Gift Registry deposits are not eligible for reimbursement. This only worked because American Express' automated system mistook the deposits for eligible fees.
Cited pet deaths / murders / killings and frustration with United, but no one time exception (Iíve never changed my airline)Ö since I used a portion of the credit, I couldnít make a change. WiFi passes it is.

Anyone know where to sell or trade the WiFi subscription activation code?

Last edited by christof; Apr 12, 18 at 1:15 pm
christof is offline  
Old Apr 15, 18, 9:35 pm
  #523  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: DCA
Programs: SK*S OZ*G
Posts: 599
Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
Not quite true. Upgrades to a different class are specifically called out in the T&C's as not qualifying airline incidental expenses:

"Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees."

Receiving the statement credit when paying for an upgrade to F/J is a YMMV situation.
I"m booked in economy on IAD-MSY. On United.com, they are offering 20k UA miles + $75 to upgrade (non-guaranteed upgrade.. the "Use Miles to Upgrade" option); or a straight $239 to upgrade (guaranteed -- the "Purchase Upgrade" option).

Any advice on which option may end up with a charge that is more likely to qualify for the AmEx reimbursement?
jfidler is offline  
Old Apr 16, 18, 1:36 am
  #524  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: IAH
Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Plat
Posts: 4,040
Originally Posted by jfidler View Post
I"m booked in economy on IAD-MSY. On United.com, they are offering 20k UA miles + $75 to upgrade (non-guaranteed upgrade.. the "Use Miles to Upgrade" option); or a straight $239 to upgrade (guaranteed -- the "Purchase Upgrade" option).

Any advice on which option may end up with a charge that is more likely to qualify for the AmEx reimbursement?
$239 is a better deal and qualifies for reimbursement.
TennisNoob is offline  
Old Apr 16, 18, 9:44 am
  #525  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Japan
Posts: 5,543
Originally Posted by christof View Post

I wish I could, but it looks like I canít change the airline until January of next year.
Give it a try. I called Amex last week and they did switch it for me. Just ask nicely. Always helps. Good luck.
Exleftseat is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: