Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 9, 19, 9:21 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: presario1626
Wiki Link
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 31, 18, 5:49 pm
  #466  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SFO
Posts: 498
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post


So when you canceled ticket and got a refund from United, did they credit you one lump charge that was the cost of the ticket and the pet fee?

Otherwise they would credit you cost of pet fee and AMEX could reverse your credit.
Only the pet fee of $125 each way receives a credit from Amex. Upon cancellation of the ticket, I received one Amex travel credit of $125, then a second credit of $75 since the travel fee credit limit is $200. I charged the ticket with a different, non Amex card, so that refund should go back to the non Amex card, while I already received the pet fee refunds (2x $125) on my Amex plat.
adlibitum is offline  
Old Jan 31, 18, 9:58 pm
  #467  
nnn
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Francisco
Programs: All-Around Kettle
Posts: 3,035
Originally Posted by adlibitum View Post
Only the pet fee of $125 each way receives a credit from Amex. Upon cancellation of the ticket, I received one Amex travel credit of $125, then a second credit of $75 since the travel fee credit limit is $200. I charged the ticket with a different, non Amex card, so that refund should go back to the non Amex card, while I already received the pet fee refunds (2x $125) on my Amex plat.
How long ago did you do that? I think canesfan was suggesting that Amex could claw back the credit at some point.
nnn is offline  
Old Feb 1, 18, 10:50 am
  #468  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 484
Originally Posted by nnn View Post
How long ago did you do that? I think canesfan was suggesting that Amex could claw back the credit at some point.
Yes, that's my point. When you cancel the ticket, does United just group both charges and give you 1 refund, on the card that you originally purchased the ticket? If that is the case, then this method would work. But if United refunds both charges separately to their originally card, then AMEX could reverse the incidental fees.
canesfan is offline  
Old Feb 1, 18, 9:26 pm
  #469  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: BOS;NYC;YVR;YYZ;DEL;BOM
Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Posts: 530
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
Yes, that's my point. When you cancel the ticket, does United just group both charges and give you 1 refund, on the card that you originally purchased the ticket? If that is the case, then this method would work. But if United refunds both charges separately to their originally card, then AMEX could reverse the incidental fees.
Unless the refund for the pet charges don't go back on the Amex but on the card used to book the passenger. I am actually trying what was suggested above, and the first cancellation confirmation I received said everything (ticket + pet charges) were going to go back to the card used to ticket the passenger (chase MP in my case). Well, let me give it a few days and see what happens.
sahiljain22 is offline  
Old Feb 7, 18, 12:19 pm
  #470  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by sahiljain22 View Post
Unless the refund for the pet charges don't go back on the Amex but on the card used to book the passenger. I am actually trying what was suggested above, and the first cancellation confirmation I received said everything (ticket + pet charges) were going to go back to the card used to ticket the passenger (chase MP in my case). Well, let me give it a few days and see what happens.
Any update?
blink22 is offline  
Old Feb 7, 18, 12:50 pm
  #471  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 484
I did what a poster above did last week and here is how all the charges got handed by United and AMEX.

Bought a ticket with non-AMEX Platinum card, then added pet to both flights, for a total of $250, on AMEX Platinum. Canceled ticket later that day, at which United gave me the option of having the amount reimbursed to my card that I charged the base fare, or a travel credit. I choose to refund all the amount to non Platinum card. Now the two $125 charges for the Pet fee posted to my AMEX, then United issued credit to the Platinum card. So they didn't credit the card that I bought the base ticket on. Then I was like, oh well... However, I checked my AMEX statement Tuesday morning and AMEX issued me 2 credits in the amount of $125, and $75, even though United had issued credit for those pet charges.

So I don't think that AMEX will claw back the $200 United credit, but if they do, then I'll just do what I did, and take the travel credit when I cancel the ticket.

All in all, the above method works!
canesfan is offline  
Old Feb 7, 18, 2:37 pm
  #472  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC / Houston / SF
Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
Posts: 108
Originally Posted by blink22 View Post
Any update?
what's the question? follow the steps and you'll get your money and your credit. if for some reason it doesn't work, you'll get your money and no credit and we'll help you find another way. hold your nose and dive in.
krazykanuck likes this.
mc0107 is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 10:45 am
  #473  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,792
Ended up using my credit for my WiFi Subscription. Reimbursed today.
edcho is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 12:30 pm
  #474  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Posts: 4,567
Originally Posted by canesfan View Post
I did what a poster above did last week and here is how all the charges got handed by United and AMEX.

Bought a ticket with non-AMEX Platinum card, then added pet to both flights, for a total of $250, on AMEX Platinum. Canceled ticket later that day, at which United gave me the option of having the amount reimbursed to my card that I charged the base fare, or a travel credit. I choose to refund all the amount to non Platinum card. Now the two $125 charges for the Pet fee posted to my AMEX, then United issued credit to the Platinum card. So they didn't credit the card that I bought the base ticket on. Then I was like, oh well... However, I checked my AMEX statement Tuesday morning and AMEX issued me 2 credits in the amount of $125, and $75, even though United had issued credit for those pet charges.

So I don't think that AMEX will claw back the $200 United credit, but if they do, then I'll just do what I did, and take the travel credit when I cancel the ticket.

All in all, the above method works!
For those of us with Lifetime UA Status and High PQM balances, I can see the risk with type of transaction outweighing the benefit..
Kacee likes this.
Flying Machine is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 12:35 pm
  #475  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NYC / Houston / SF
Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
Posts: 108
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
For those of us with Lifetime UA Status and High PQM balances, I can see the risk with type of transaction outweighing the benefit..
why? do they have algos based on the more you fly, the less often you should cancel a ticket? come on.
mc0107 is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 7:40 pm
  #476  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 44,624
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
For those of us with Lifetime UA Status and High PQM balances, I can see the risk with type of transaction outweighing the benefit..
Agreed.

And I see no reason to resort to scams . . . one change fee eats the whole annual credit.
Kacee is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 8:45 pm
  #477  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 5,414
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Agreed.

And I see no reason to resort to scams . . . one change fee eats the whole annual credit.
Agree with you in principle about "scams". That said, AMEX invites this type of behavior by marketing a benefit then making it somewhat difficult to realize said benefit, depending upon one's situation.

The subject gets bandied about here frequently - as we both know - and it comes down to where you draw the line. Gift cards? Not technically reimbursable but regularly reimbursed.

What defines a "scam", I guess is the dividing line.
Diplomatico is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 9:59 pm
  #478  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 44,624
Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
What defines a "scam", I guess is the dividing line.
Gift card I would call a "loophole"

Paying a pet fee with intent to cancel and refund just to get a statement credit to me crosses the line. It would certainly fit within UA MP's definition of prohibited conduct, as it's analytically very similar to buying a ticket without intent to fly just to get lounge access.
Kacee is offline  
Old Feb 9, 18, 10:01 am
  #479  
nnn
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: San Francisco
Programs: All-Around Kettle
Posts: 3,035
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Gift card I would call a "loophole"

Paying a pet fee with intent to cancel and refund just to get a statement credit to me crosses the line. It would certainly fit within UA MP's definition of prohibited conduct, as it's analytically very similar to buying a ticket without intent to fly just to get lounge access.
I disagree. Unlike using lounge access without paying for it, United presumably isn't losing out on any services rendered by a book-and-cancel within hours, particularly if a flight is chosen that is months away. And to do it once a year -- the limit of the Amex benefit -- is not frequent abuse of book-and-cancel that has any impact on United. I can't imagine there is any meaningful danger that United punishes the customer. How are they to know it was never intended to be flown? Tickets get canceled all the time.

At most, it would be Amex that is losing $200 in a manner they did not intend, but even there I don't blame the customer for doing this move, since the refund is just how Amex chose to program its system. They could presumably claw it back if they wanted to.
canesfan and raycosm like this.
nnn is offline  
Old Feb 12, 18, 10:10 am
  #480  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 111
In December 2017 I upgraded my fiancee and I's flight to lie-flat business class for $300 a seat. It was an internationally configured 757 on a domestic route. I knew that it wasn't typically allowed in the exact terms of use for the credit, but I called up Amex anyways and kindly asked them if they'd be willing to apply the credit towards the purchase. I was totally honest with them and told them it was for a seat upgrade. They obliged and I got a $200 credit posted in a few days. I think Amex is trying to be more flexible with the credit so they can compete with Citi Prestige and Chase Sapphire Reserve.
Flying Machine and Gasolin like this.
ncsuactor84FT is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: