Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 9, 19, 9:21 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: presario1626
Wiki Link
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 18, 17, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by JHake10 View Post
As noted in the Wiki the registry seems to be coming back in early 2018. Its included in the text on the website. I don't remember seeing that before. But I wasn't looking closely. Doesn't help for 2017, but good news for 2018!
Dang, I didn't think it would go away.

My first year ends at the end of February I think. I upgraded from Premier Rewards Gold to Platinum and got the card in March.

Had expected to double-dip on this before canceling.

Looks like timing could be tricky.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 17, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
My first year ends at the end of February I think.
For the purposes of the Amex travel credit, the year ends on December 31 for all card members.
Old Dec 19, 17, 9:45 am

Programs: BA
Hoping the Gift Registry comes back within the next month because the annual fee on my PRG is coming up soon and I will have 30 days to get the annual fee refunded in order to triple dip the $100 reimbursement in 2018.

I have a question. On the gift registry terms and conditions, it says that the registries expire after 5 years of inactivity: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/pro...tRegistry.aspx

However, it says that TravelBank funds expire after just 18 months of inactivity: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ravelbank.aspx

Which is it, 5 years or 18 months? Sure, United can make your *miles* expire after 18 months but TravelBank funds are basically cash; how can they let that expire after just 18 months? That is ridiculous.
Old Dec 20, 17, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Gold
Hmm I have $177.xx left to spend. Any suggestions?
Old Dec 20, 17, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Hmm I have $177.xx left to spend. Any suggestions?
I'm pretty annoyed about not being able to use this on United. But I have a bunch of miles sitting around in other airlines (e.g. AA) from old credit card signn up bonuses. I'm switching airlines for the benefit, buying a bunch of gift cards in $50 increments, and will either use them in conjunction with my miles for non-mileage earning flights on those other airlines, or for purchasing a flight somewhere easy in the new year.
Old Dec 20, 17, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Damn I think I had some balance in my travel bank too.

any guarantees that will be preserved or you start from zero once their system is back?
Old Dec 20, 17, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA

any guarantees that will be preserved or you start from zero once their system is back?
Would that not be theft if they zero'd everyone's balance?
nnn likes this.
Old Dec 20, 17, 4:12 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Damn I think I had some balance in my travel bank
There is no interruption in access to your funds.

We're sorry, our gift registry page is currently unavailable for maintenance. You can still use the funds from your gift registry to book travel during this time, but you will not be able to receive contributions or update your registry details. We expect the page to be up and running again in early 2018
Old Dec 20, 17, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Thanks, I hadn't checked but figured you couldn't see it at all.
Old Dec 21, 17, 5:19 pm

I used mine a month or so go for a ticket for my daughter. Your credit is still there and is usable. You just can't add to it.

Sure hope that it comes back in January. Otherwise I'll switch over to American. I'm going to Europe next year anyway....

Old Dec 24, 17, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Is there anything else one can use the AMEX UA award on if not on a plane? Does mileage plus mpx still work?
Old Dec 24, 17, 9:16 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by nmenaker View Post
Does mileage plus mpx still work?
No.
Old Dec 24, 17, 10:37 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by nmenaker View Post
Is there anything else one can use the AMEX UA award on if not on a plane? Does mileage plus mpx still work?
United Club day passes or annual membership fees.
Old Dec 24, 17, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
United Club day passes or annual membership fees.

I didn't know that the United club membership would qualify for the $200 reimbursement. Can someone confirm? Happy holidays
Old Dec 24, 17, 12:23 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post

I didn't know that the United club membership would qualify for the $200 reimbursement. Can someone confirm? Happy holidays
"Technically, the approved items are:

Checked baggage fees
Overweight/oversize baggage fees
Change fees
Phone reservation fees
Pet flight fees
Airport lounge day passes and annual memberships
Seat assignment fees
In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, etc)
In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet)"

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/choos...ne-fee-credit/

Good enough or should "someone confirm" for you?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: