Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 9, 19, 9:21 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: presario1626
Wiki Link
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 21, 17, 4:08 am
  #331  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14
Hi, I've got the full $200 on Amex Platinum. I used to do gift registry, Can someone please help with the options. I do not have any more trips planned for 2017. Thanks in advance!
denisiel is offline  
Old Nov 21, 17, 6:08 am
  #332  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,533
Originally Posted by denisiel View Post
Hi, I've got the full $200 on Amex Platinum. I used to do gift registry, Can someone please help with the options. I do not have any more trips planned for 2017. Thanks in advance!
Your only options are to switch your preferred airline to one that still works (check the other threads in this forum) or hold out hope that UA will suddenly start working again (inadvisable).
pallhedge is offline  
Old Nov 21, 17, 8:23 am
  #333  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 493
I really like my Amex Platinum card. But I hardly use it anymore. I use the Chase Sapphire Reserve instead for most transactions. Amex needs to make the Plat card more attractive. Sorry but Uber isn't it. The Plat card should give you 3X for travel categories and 2X for restaurants like the Chase card and no hassles with the travel credit. As UA is my chosen airline this year, I used the 35% return on the UA travel this year twice (forced to book with Amex Travel), but booking anything direct with United only gives you 1%. This year, I used the $200 travel credit on economy plus upgrades (mainly because I didn't get around to doing it until recently). Plus I like the gold status on SPG/Hilton, but not sure it's worth the extra money or the hassle involved to get the credits.

The card used to be more valuable. Amex needs more lounges, better benefits and not so many restrictions.

Next year I'll change it to AA or DL, since there is no way to buy gift cards on UA anymore. If they take away that privilege on the other airlines, I'll probably close the account.
lbotez is offline  
Old Nov 21, 17, 2:55 pm
  #334  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold, HHonors Diamond, Orbitz Platinum
Posts: 860
Originally Posted by lbotez View Post
The card used to be more valuable. Amex needs more lounges.
More lounges? What exactly did you have in mind? UA and AA in addition to the existing Delta, PP, Escape, and Centurion? It certainly blows the CSR and every other premium card away in this category.
moe8555 is online now  
Old Nov 22, 17, 9:45 am
  #335  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 10
Anyone come up with any creative ways to use this credit for United for end of 2017 and 2018? Now that Gift registry is dead, doesn't seem like there are any easily redeemable methods left.
rendanator is offline  
Old Nov 22, 17, 10:02 am
  #336  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: HNL
Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Posts: 6,062
Originally Posted by moe8555 View Post
More lounges? What exactly did you have in mind? UA and AA in addition to the existing Delta, PP, Escape, and Centurion? It certainly blows the CSR and every other premium card away in this category.
To what do you refer when you say "UA and AA?" Since when will my Amex Plat bring me into those lounges?
747FC is offline  
Old Nov 22, 17, 11:07 am
  #337  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SRQ/TPA
Programs: DL PM, AS 75K, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Posts: 8,928
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
To what do you refer when you say "UA and AA?" Since when will my Amex Plat bring me into those lounges?
What I believe they're saying is, "what do you expect? UA and AA lounge access in addition to DL, PP, etc..." and pointing out that the Platinum card currently grants access to the greatest number and variety of lounges of the 3 main premium US issued cards (vs the CSR and Prestige)
krazykanuck is offline  
Old Nov 22, 17, 11:57 am
  #338  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 41,229
Originally Posted by lbotez View Post
...Amex needs more lounges, better benefits and not so many restrictions..
Originally Posted by moe8555 View Post
More lounges? What exactly did you have in mind? .
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
Since when will my Amex Plat bring me into those lounges?
Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
What I believe they're saying is, "what do you expect? ...
In context it seems Ibotez means that American Express should open more Centurion lounges. AA and UA are no longer interested in diluting their relationship with their own co-branded card issuers by allowing any other access.
mia is offline  
Old Nov 22, 17, 12:36 pm
  #339  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,443
Originally Posted by lbotez View Post
I really like my Amex Platinum card. But I hardly use it anymore. I use the Chase Sapphire Reserve instead for most transactions. Amex needs to make the Plat card more attractive. Sorry but Uber isn't it. The Plat card should give you 3X for travel categories and 2X for restaurants like the Chase card and no hassles with the travel credit. As UA is my chosen airline this year, I used the 35% return on the UA travel this year twice (forced to book with Amex Travel), but booking anything direct with United only gives you 1%. This year, I used the $200 travel credit on economy plus upgrades (mainly because I didn't get around to doing it until recently). Plus I like the gold status on SPG/Hilton, but not sure it's worth the extra money or the hassle involved to get the credits.

The card used to be more valuable. Amex needs more lounges, better benefits and not so many restrictions.

Next year I'll change it to AA or DL, since there is no way to buy gift cards on UA anymore. If they take away that privilege on the other airlines, I'll probably close the account.
I think people see the AMEX Plat (Personal/Business) and CSR have similar AFs and think they are the same. While there may be overlap, these are pretty different products. Your AF for AMEX goes to perks such has their own lounge network, hotel status, Uber, and others. While the AF for the CSR goes to higher point earnings, and redeeming those points at a higher value.

Additionally, you mention your 35% rebate which means you have the business card. When using your points back on that, it works out to $0.0154 per point, which slightly edges the CSR at $0.015 per point. I agree its annoying AMEX makes you book airfare through them for the 5x (Business only). However, there typically isn't any disadvantage to doing this (like there are with pre-paid hotels).

For my UA credit, I charge in a UA Club membership and affectively get 200 off the top, which I think is a good value for me. YMMV.
JHake10 is online now  
Old Nov 22, 17, 4:32 pm
  #340  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: ORD/MKE
Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
Posts: 398
I reviewed a few pages but didnít see this there or in the wiki. Did I miss somewhere simple?

If I needed to purchase lounge access for myself or a companion would that qualify for me to be reimbursed on my PRG? What about onboard food and drink?

Any recent experiences with E+ being reimbursed?

Thanks.
danhunterpost is offline  
Old Nov 22, 17, 4:44 pm
  #341  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,443
Originally Posted by danhunterpost View Post
I reviewed a few pages but didnít see this there or in the wiki. Did I miss somewhere simple?

If I needed to purchase lounge access for myself or a companion would that qualify for me to be reimbursed on my PRG? What about onboard food and drink?

Any recent experiences with E+ being reimbursed?

Thanks.
All of those fall under incidental charges and are eligible. Another poster up thread provided the below snippet. Bolding mine for your situation.

Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
JHake10 is online now  
Old Nov 24, 17, 9:30 pm
  #342  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 493
Originally Posted by JHake10 View Post
I think people see the AMEX Plat (Personal/Business) and CSR have similar AFs and think they are the same. While there may be overlap, these are pretty different products. Your AF for AMEX goes to perks such has their own lounge network, hotel status, Uber, and others. While the AF for the CSR goes to higher point earnings, and redeeming those points at a higher value.

Additionally, you mention your 35% rebate which means you have the business card. When using your points back on that, it works out to $0.0154 per point, which slightly edges the CSR at $0.015 per point. I agree its annoying AMEX makes you book airfare through them for the 5x (Business only). However, there typically isn't any disadvantage to doing this (like there are with pre-paid hotels).

For my UA credit, I charge in a UA Club membership and affectively get 200 off the top, which I think is a good value for me. YMMV.
first: I did mean the Amex Centurion Lounges. Most are quite nice, somewhat crowded, but some of my favorite lounges. There just aren't enough of them.

In regard to the 35% rebate; I had no idea the personal Amex Plat card didn't have that. Honestly? And it's $550 a year??? Seriously, Amex needs to get their heads examined. And the Uber benefit I could care less about...

CSR I can get 3X for restaurants and travel and then get 1.5X for using the rewards for airfare.
lbotez is offline  
Old Nov 25, 17, 1:42 am
  #343  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,443
Originally Posted by lbotez View Post
first: I did mean the Amex Centurion Lounges. Most are quite nice, somewhat crowded, but some of my favorite lounges. There just aren't enough of them.

In regard to the 35% rebate; I had no idea the personal Amex Plat card didn't have that. Honestly? And it's $550 a year??? Seriously, Amex needs to get their heads examined. And the Uber benefit I could care less about...

CSR I can get 3X for restaurants and travel and then get 1.5X for using the rewards for airfare.
I wish they had more/larger spaces too. I'm sure getting commercial space at airports is tough. SFO is always crowded when I'm there. The points rebate (originally 50% but reduced to 35%) is business only. Another business only feature is the GoGo WiFi passes. The personal platinum 5x category is with airfare purchases directly from airlines which makes things a bit easier (business is amex portal only).

No doubt the CSR is easier to earn and burn, I also have one.
JHake10 is online now  
Old Nov 25, 17, 8:38 am
  #344  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SRQ/TPA
Programs: DL PM, AS 75K, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Posts: 8,928
Originally Posted by JHake10 View Post
I think people see the AMEX Plat (Personal/Business) and CSR have similar AFs and think they are the same. While there may be overlap, these are pretty different products.
Completely agree with you. Besides the relatively high pre rebate annual fee and the fact that both come with a priority pass membership they are very different products targeting different markets.

Anyway back to the topic at hand I hope United gets the gift registry back up and running at some point otherwise I'll switch my card back to Delta for 2018.
SkyHarbor and JHake10 like this.
krazykanuck is offline  
Old Nov 25, 17, 11:27 am
  #345  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 30
Just wanted to say- I had $175 remaining on my plat amex airline fee reimbursement. Flew from EWR to SFO and used $75 for baggage- was reimbursed. Then decided to splurge/test on a purchase of an economy plus subscription for up to 8 pax. ($899) Since I had my family of 4, the cost to pay for E+ would have been $530 I figured why not just purchase a subscription. I am probably going to fly again next year. Anyway- I also received a $100 credit in addition to the baggage credit. Next year my intention is to upgrade my subscription and pay the difference via citi prestige to include hawaii since I will be headed there.
suzuko98 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: