Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: UA only (2017-2019)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 9, 19, 9:21 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: presario1626
Wiki Link
The United gift registry has been discontinued.

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Unless you check your bags or experience change fees, United has the fewest options for reimbursement because of the codes they use for transactions.

United does not sell giftcards. As of December 2016 American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
Economy Plus and First Class Upgrade Fees
As of December 2016 there were conflicting posts; one stating that an upgrade to E+ coded as an "upgrade fee" and was, therefore, not reimbursed. Others said they were reimbursed as it was coded as "preferred seat upgrade." In February 2019, three separate FTer reported receiving varying amounts of reimbursement (dependent upon which card was used for the purchase) after purchasing an E+ annual subscription. The E+ subscriptions code as "preferred seat upgrade". Upgrading from E to FC will also not be reimbursed because it codes as a passenger ticket even when done after buying the original ticket. There seems to be a distinction between seat upgrades being reimbursed, while ticket upgrades are not.
Award Accelerator
I would not risk this. The last report of being reimbursed for Award Accelerator was for $68 on October 27, 2011. Every post about Award Accelerator since has reported "No reimbursement."
Eligible incidental fees include:
  • Checked baggage fees (including overweight/oversize)
  • Itinerary change fees
  • Phone reservation fees
  • Pet flight fees
  • Seat assignment fees (E+)
  • In-flight amenity fees (beverages, food, pillows/blankets, headphones)
  • In-flight entertainment fees (excluding wireless internet because it's not charged by the airline)
  • Airport lounge day passes & annual memberships
  • Onboard WIFI
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 6, 17, 6:16 am
  #301  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 41,330
Originally Posted by skyhome View Post
I thought that you only can switch airline once a year in Jan...How did you make the switch? thx
If you have not had ANY airline expenses reimbursed in 2017 a customer service agent may allow you to change to another airline, if you ask politely and have a story about changing travel pattern.
mia is offline  
Old Nov 7, 17, 9:50 am
  #302  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 493
Originally Posted by mia View Post
If you have not had ANY airline expenses reimbursed in 2017 a customer service agent may allow you to change to another airline, if you ask politely and have a story about changing travel pattern.
I'd like to do that; however, I flew on UA a lot this year and am waiting for a 35% MR reimbursement (any day now); so I'm afraid I don't have a real good excuse.
lbotez is offline  
Old Nov 7, 17, 12:56 pm
  #303  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: FLL/MIA
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 132
chatted with AMEX and they changed to Southwest, no issue. Rep was super quick and no questions.
cbkcc1 is offline  
Old Nov 10, 17, 11:46 am
  #304  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1
Anyone have any recommendations for what to used the travel credit for since this is dead? Besides checked bags and inflight wifi?
Sovietaced is offline  
Old Nov 10, 17, 12:19 pm
  #305  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 5,456
Originally Posted by Sovietaced View Post
Anyone have any recommendations for what to used the travel credit for since this is dead? Besides checked bags and inflight wifi?
Choose a different airline? If you don't want to switch, how about United Club membership or day passes?
Diplomatico is offline  
Old Nov 10, 17, 2:00 pm
  #306  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus, Carbon Conscious Travel, FlyerTalk Cares
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Posts: 17,432
I have about $100 of the fee reimbursement left to use and no use for the services. I read through and saw in-flight snack was credited. I don't see any exclusion for alcohol in the t&cs. I'm thinking I'll buy drinks for people around me on my last UA flight of the year. Should that credit? I read through this thread and didn't see any mention of on-board cocktail purchases.
l etoile is offline  
Old Nov 10, 17, 2:51 pm
  #307  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,446
Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
Choose a different airline? If you don't want to switch, how about United Club membership or day passes?
It was a lot easier when the day passes were 50/each. Now they are 59/each. However, they are digital and good for year, so its a solid option.

Another option is upgrading to E+ on a flight.

Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
I have about $100 of the fee reimbursement left to use and no use for the services. I read through and saw in-flight snack was credited. I don't see any exclusion for alcohol in the t&cs. I'm thinking I'll buy drinks for people around me on my last UA flight of the year. Should that credit? I read through this thread and didn't see any mention of on-board cocktail purchases.
That will work. Before UA introduced the free food/beverage item for 1K/GS every flight, this is what I used most of my credits for.
JHake10 is offline  
Old Nov 10, 17, 3:05 pm
  #308  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 114
Is there a way to buy a basic economy ticket, then use the credit to upgrade to a regular economy ticket, or buy an exit row seat? Iíve used $75 of my $200 this year, so itís unlikely Iíll be able to switch.
ravisurdhar is offline  
Old Nov 10, 17, 3:34 pm
  #309  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SRQ/TPA
Programs: DL PM, AS 75K, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Posts: 8,984
Originally Posted by ravisurdhar View Post
Is there a way to buy a basic economy ticket, then use the credit to upgrade to a regular economy ticket, or buy an exit row seat? Iíve used $75 of my $200 this year, so itís unlikely Iíll be able to switch.
You can't buy up to economy plus if you have a basic economy ticket.
krazykanuck is offline  
Old Nov 10, 17, 4:42 pm
  #310  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 5,456
Originally Posted by ravisurdhar View Post
Is there a way to buy a basic economy ticket, then use the credit to upgrade to a regular economy ticket, or buy an exit row seat? Iíve used $75 of my $200 this year, so itís unlikely Iíll be able to switch.
"Hello, AMEX Customer Service Rep? This is Mr. Ravisudhar. I've recently switched companies which means that my travel patterns have changed quite a bit. Because of this, I will be flying AA almost exclusively for the next few months instead of UA. Would it be possible to obtain a one-time courtesy change of airlines for my AMEX Plat airline credit?"
avatarx likes this.
Diplomatico is offline  
Old Nov 10, 17, 9:28 pm
  #311  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 142
Got $50 credit left that would usually go into the travel bank if it were online. Since it's not online, I just upgraded my super-long 1hr 35min, SFO - LAS flight to Econ+, via UAL app. I'll update its progress.

And if the UAL travel bank ever goes back online, that $200 will be gone in one or two clicks. No more waiting around for issues like this to arise, like this months long maintenance thing.
radiolarian is offline  
Old Nov 11, 17, 2:41 pm
  #312  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by radiolarian View Post
Got $50 credit left that would usually go into the travel bank if it were online. Since it's not online, I just upgraded my super-long 1hr 35min, SFO - LAS flight to Econ+, via UAL app. I'll update its progress.

And if the UAL travel bank ever goes back online, that $200 will be gone in one or two clicks. No more waiting around for issues like this to arise, like this months long maintenance thing.
Would appreciate an update, trying to do the same thing on an EWR-SFO RT later this month. Amex chat said that it should work, I didn't screenshot it but if it fails you could always chat/screenshot/dispute
ferric is offline  
Old Nov 11, 17, 3:10 pm
  #313  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 355
I have a couple of questions about buying United Club day passes using these Amex credits:
1. Do they get reimbursed only via the app, or also if you buy them in person at a club location?
2. Can you buy a pass and have your spouse use it?

Thanks for the help.
alexperi is offline  
Old Nov 11, 17, 3:21 pm
  #314  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,446
Originally Posted by ferric View Post
Would appreciate an update, trying to do the same thing on an EWR-SFO RT later this month. Amex chat said that it should work, I didn't screenshot it but if it fails you could always chat/screenshot/dispute
EWR-SFO in E+ now comes with a hot meal. Who doesn't love airline food

Originally Posted by alexperi View Post
I have a couple of questions about buying United Club day passes using these Amex credits:
1. Do they get reimbursed only via the app, or also if you buy them in person at a club location?
2. Can you buy a pass and have your spouse use it?

Thanks for the help.
It wouldn't matter as both charges are coming from United Airlines and aren't for airfare.

When you purchase the passes via the app they are stored ... in the app. So that may be a bit challenging to give to your wife (unless your purchase through her account/app and use your CC).

When buying at the UC they just swipe your card and admit you entry. I don't think you can purchases passes at the desk for later use (I could be wrong though).
JHake10 is offline  
Old Nov 12, 17, 5:55 pm
  #315  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 493
Originally Posted by JHake10 View Post
When buying at the UC they just swipe your card and admit you entry. I don't think you can purchases passes at the desk for later use (I could be wrong though).
Really would like to know if you can buy passes to use later. I'm going to Hawaii next year and could use some extra passes with my leftover Amex credit.
lbotez is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: